By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Chris Fellows

Here is a list of all the postings Chris Fellows has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Building Ardent
30/12/2017 17:47:53

I bought a Record which is very similar. As you say fitting the blades is a little fiddly especially when putting through a pilot hole for cutting out internal shapes!

I have tried some pinless blades - Olson double tooth/crown tooth for less ripping - but found that they were a bit fine for cutting the 6 mm ply I was using for the keel etc. though well within their capabilities They will be better for thinner ply but to be honest the thicker pinned blades are fine, not much ripping and do the radii required no problem.

Whilst fitting the pinless blades into their mounting blocks wasn't difficult for using them for cutting along the axis of the saw it is more difficult when turning the blade sideways for cutting long lengths like for the keel. As I said not a problem though as the pinned blades are fine.

I'm at a similar stage and will soon be mounting the keel on a building board. I've added some "fingers" to the keel and spine for screwing to a substantial piece of timber which will be screwed to the mounting board. Likewise I've added the chine lines to the frames along with a horizontal datum line to help with accurate alignment.

Chris

29/12/2017 22:29:07

Hi Eddie

Good to hear that you are making progress.

Funnily enough I recently bought a scroll saw which my wife said could be my Christmas present. This was fair enough as I've added a few other tools since as well!

Scroll saws are brilliant for cutting out the frames etc. Another "essential" is various Permagrit tools!

Chris

Thread: Fairey 23 River Cruiser
29/12/2017 18:36:17

As building of my Swordsman and commencement of building of my Huntsman 28 has been curtailed for the time being, due to my workshop (smallest bedroom!) being temporarily out of action what with it being filled with boxes etc. from the spare bedroom so that it could be used for guests over the festive season and wanting to do something model boat related I thought I'd return to the drawing board or rather the PC.

Continuing with the Fairey theme but I wanted to do something a little different and so decided to start drawing up plans for the 23 foot river cruiser. Only one boat, the prototype, was built by Fairey and it never went into production.

The hull was based on the Huntress but with a less deep vee as a deep vee isn't required for the more sedate and calmer river cruising and will produce less wash.

I've attached a screen shot of the side view - I need to increase the freeboard though as it doesn't look quite right and realised that this needs to be done to compensate for the depth lost by reducing the vee as otherwise it would have been difficult to find room for the engine etc. in the full size boat.

Once this has been done I can crack on with producing the frames etc.

The river cruiser doesn't have the elegant lines of the seagoing Faireys due to the rather dumpy looking rear cabin but I like it because it is different and I have more of an affinity with cruisers having done quite a bit of river cruising and a trip on the Norfolk Broads in my younger days.

Chris

img_2644.jpg

Thread: Fairey Huntress Winter Special 2017
21/12/2017 20:33:10
Posted by Dave Milbourn on 21/12/2017 14:43:53:

Derek

I did use a 6mm tube + 4mm shaft on the 23" Huntress and fitted a P-bracket. This has proved to be fine in practice but your model is 50% bigger. I suppose that as long as the shaft itself is 4mm diameter and well supported then you 'll probably get away with it. I do wonder about a 15" shaft whipping at the centre, though.
The prop supplier is Simon Higgins of Protean Design - he that was Mr Prop Shop, then wasn't, and has arisen from Swann Castings a sadder and wiser man. I'm pretty sure he's on Facebook. His props are the best. Full stop.

DM

Edited By Dave Milbourn on 21/12/2017 14:52:39

With my lack of patience with wanting to get on with the Swordsman drawings I bought a 450mm (395mm tube) Raboesch prop shaft with an 8mm tube and 4mm stainless shaft as Cornwall Model Boats were out of stock of the 5mm shaft one at the time. I've regretted my haste as was also worried about whip but I guess Raboesch must be happy with the design as it's rated to 15,000 rpm. The shaft is pretty stiff though so whip shouldn't be a problem.

But I'm going to get a 5mm one though and use the 4mm in a smaller boat with the tube and shaft reduced in length to suit.

Chris

Edited By Chris Fellows on 21/12/2017 20:35:28

Edited By Chris Fellows on 21/12/2017 20:38:48

20/12/2017 22:05:50

Derek - You're making good progress and it's looking mighty fine.

Is the whole of the hull skinned in ply or have you used balsa block at the bow?

Chris

Edited By Chris Fellows on 20/12/2017 22:08:23

Thread: Spanish Fishing Boat Designed by JP
18/12/2017 17:30:56

Eddie just an idea. Trace the half bulkheads/frames using tracing paper including a centre line. You can then just flip it over when tranferring to the ply. Might be quicker and easier than plotting onto the ply.

Ray, are you going to use doublers where the rudder tube coincides with one of the frames?

Chris

Edited By Chris Fellows on 18/12/2017 17:34:10

Thread: Sea Queen Water Line
18/12/2017 16:46:46

Ray, I can see why Andy is asking for a dimension at the front though as the waterline isn't parallel to anything.

Obviousy it could be worked out by ratios vertically where the front of the cabin meets the deck.

Chris

Thread: Running on
14/12/2017 18:23:20

Dave, thanks I'll bear that in mind. And you're right there!

Chris

14/12/2017 13:44:20

Thanks Dave, I'll do that then.

That's one of the advantages of coming to this hobby late, all this great tech. and 2.4 GHz Tx etc!

Oh, and brushless motors.

Chris

Edited By Chris Fellows on 14/12/2017 13:45:28

13/12/2017 21:53:30
Posted by Dave Milbourn on 13/12/2017 09:39:54:

Egg on face time. Found this on RC Groups. Fill yer boots!

**LINK**

Dave M - (66 today - Hooray......)

Just popping back to this post to bring to your attention Dawnmist's excellent Lithimon 234 unit. I have one in Huntress and I get exceptionally long and smooth motor runs with it. Here's a link **LINK**

Edited By Dave Milbourn on 13/12/2017 09:48:02

That's an interesting piece of kit Dave. What do you do if you have an ESC like the Hawk ones where you set the number of cells? Do you still have to do that?

Chris

Thread: Private messages
10/12/2017 22:33:16

There's not much else being posted! smiley

Thread: Tyne Class Lifeboat
09/12/2017 23:08:11

Hi Tim

As per your other thread it sounds as though you have decided not to follow the designers instructions!

Fair enough that you have decided to add some timber frames but if these are not part of the design/plans how did you obtain the shapes?

How big are the gaps and are they symmetrical to both sides of the hull? If it was me I'd make some templates out of card first and once you've got a good fit then make them in timber.

By the way my Permagrit files arrived and I've given them a go. They certainly are good and make life much easier. Much better than wrapping sandpaper around bits of wood or using normal files.

Chris

Edited By Chris Fellows on 09/12/2017 23:12:09

Thread: Todays Boating
04/12/2017 11:47:09
Posted by Tim Cooper on 04/12/2017 09:23:21:

Chris

You won't regret buying the files. Mine have had a lot of use and a quick rub with a wire suede brush gets them clean again. I bought the wider flat files as well, they have been useful around the house as well.

I am trying to justify to myself buying some rotary tools for my mini drills -one day!

Tim

I doubt I will Tim. Yes, the rotary tools were calling me as well but I managed to resist!

I need to leave it for a little time as my wife has uttered "Another package has arrived for you today" quite a lot recently in that what have you bought now tone!

03/12/2017 16:43:11
Posted by Chris Fellows on 11/11/2017 21:48:43:

Posted by ashley needham on 11/11/2017 10:00:51:

I now have a fibreglass hull, and I need to make several openings in it, and will certainly order a set of PG files. I baulked at the cost yesterday as they are quite expensive, but a tool that lasts forever is not expensive really is it??

I shall not be putting bulkheads in my hull.
I say this as newbie timford2 says should he put bulkheads in his new Severn hull to stiffen it up...and previously DM has commented on reading instructions and bad advice. He is as usual correct, and as I know nowt about Severn hulls would not like to comment and refrained from doing so. Suffice it to say of the 6 fibreglass hulled boats I have, only two gave bulkheads (yes I really have that many ready made hulls, sadly) BUT there are crossbeams and third height motor mounts and so on inside

My hull is very thin, about 1.5mm and of a good size but is stiff as a rake. I know once the decks are on and a couple of deep deck supports and motor mounts etc. are in, that will do nicely.

No boating tomorrow as playing for a remembrance day service (in a roundabout in Reigate).

Ashley

I picked up one of the large sanding blocks as per Ray's photos yesterday at the show and baulked at the cost of the files also! Wished I'd known about the sanding blocks years ago as I've spent a fortune on sand paper for jobs around the house and garden over the years which would have paid for Permagrit tools over and over again.

I baulked partly because I'd already spent quite a bit on materials and other bits and pieces and still had some things to get.

Not really essential for me at the moment and I have been guilty on many occasions of buying "expensive" tools for DIY and the garage. Some I've never used!

Chris

I also bought one of the contoured blocks a couple of weeks ago but when cutting out some bulkheads today with some internal cut-outs realised that a set of files is in fact "essential"!! So have just ordered a set.

When coming into this hobby about 18 months ago I thought it was going to be relatively inexpensive but daren't add up how much I've spent so far!

Edited By Chris Fellows on 11/11/2017 21:52:36

Edited By Chris Fellows on 11/11/2017 21:53:26

Thread: What to build next?
30/11/2017 16:46:53
Posted by Banjoman on 30/11/2017 13:40:14:

Actually, the more I look at the plans I linked to in my previous post, the more I think that that is pretty much exactly the kind of Pettersson motor boat that I'd be keen on building a model of, while the plans are apparently made at a sacle of 1:10, and thus would be usable pretty much as they are, as that is more or less the sort of scale I've had in mind all along ... Hmm. Food for thought indeed!

Well. As already mentioned, it is a project for further down the road. Based on my build rate over recent years, it'll probably be somewhere in the region of 20 years at least before I even begin to get the end in sight of the five projects listed above, so maybe in six or seven years time from now ... ?!

Mattias

As has been said, lovely looking boats and a challenge to build.

As regards using existing plans at the preferred scale don't make the mistake I made and assume the drawings have been scanned (If that's how you get them) at the original size.

I was working off drawings at 1:12 on the computer, which was what I wanted, and didn't realise until I printed out the hull that it was too short! Not a problem though as it was just a case of working out how much to increase the printing output by but I did have to reduce the thickness of timbers I'd added as they came out too thick.

I couldn't wait that long to build a beautiful boat like that! Go on, revise your list and put it at No. 2!

Chris

Edited By Chris Fellows on 30/11/2017 16:50:43

27/11/2017 13:26:58

As a beginner it's easy for me.

The first boat I bought was a Fairey Huntsman 31 at 1:8 scale (already built) and like Dave, Faireys have drawn me in.

I currently have Swordsman 33 and Huntsman 28 builds under way (well just started!) and will then build a Huntsman 31.

That will keep me going for awhile but after that who knows?

Chris

Thread: Fairey Huntress Winter Special 2017
13/11/2017 23:17:06

I picked mine up from SLEC as well, from the show on Friday.

You'd think, that being made from laminations that it would stay flat, though of course the thinner boards have less plies.

I have read of flattening the boards by using an iron and a damp cloth which I might try if required once I've cut out the bulkheads.

Be interested in seeing some photos as you progress.

Chris

Edited By Chris Fellows on 13/11/2017 23:17:55

13/11/2017 20:57:41

Thanks Dave. The straight line was just me testing the saw by cutting off a length of ply. Obviously there are some straight lines to be cut but also many curved. I weighed up the pros and cons of a scroll saw versus a band saw and came down on the side of the scroll saw, certainly for now.

And for the straight lines I shall make one of your sanding tools.

Part of my leaning towards thicker ply is that my 4mm sheets are a bit bowed. I shall be selective as to which pieces I use!

Chris

13/11/2017 19:27:15
Posted by Rumration on 12/11/2017 07:33:57:

Hi Dave,

You could post those to me so I can get started!

Get thee behind me Satan, I’m still determined to scratch build really. But it’s comforting to know that I’d it all turns nasty I can cheat my way out. I have bought enough wood to have several goes, but still not decided which scroll saw to buy. Too much choice!

Glyn.

Hi Glyn - I've just given the scroll saw a go (Record SS16V - £125) and it's pretty good. I've only cut a piece of 4mm ply to length but for a novice managed a pretty straight line - helped by the variable speed with which I started off fairly slow and took it easy. There was minimal rip on the bottom face which wasn't bad considering I was using the supplied blade. I'm ordering some Olson reverse or crown tooth blades that will be even better - not that it matters that much (but I've got standards!) given that usually you cut slightly away from the line and sand back.

They also do a bench drill for £110.

Once I've transferred the bulkheads/formers (Swordsman 33) to the ply I'll give it and myself a better test.

Derek - out of interest what thickness of ply are you using for the bulkheads. My Swordsman at 1:12 is not far off the size of your Huntress. I was going to use 4mm but it seems a bit flimsy so will increase to 6mm as per my 46.5" Huntsman. I'm not too bothered about the weight as I have a powerful motor and don't want warp speeds like Harry.

Edited By Chris Fellows on 13/11/2017 19:28:46

Thread: Todays Boating
11/11/2017 21:48:43

Posted by ashley needham on 11/11/2017 10:00:51:

I now have a fibreglass hull, and I need to make several openings in it, and will certainly order a set of PG files. I baulked at the cost yesterday as they are quite expensive, but a tool that lasts forever is not expensive really is it??

I shall not be putting bulkheads in my hull.
I say this as newbie timford2 says should he put bulkheads in his new Severn hull to stiffen it up...and previously DM has commented on reading instructions and bad advice. He is as usual correct, and as I know nowt about Severn hulls would not like to comment and refrained from doing so. Suffice it to say of the 6 fibreglass hulled boats I have, only two gave bulkheads (yes I really have that many ready made hulls, sadly) BUT there are crossbeams and third height motor mounts and so on inside

My hull is very thin, about 1.5mm and of a good size but is stiff as a rake. I know once the decks are on and a couple of deep deck supports and motor mounts etc. are in, that will do nicely.

No boating tomorrow as playing for a remembrance day service (in a roundabout in Reigate).

Ashley

I picked up one of the large sanding blocks as per Ray's photos yesterday at the show and baulked at the cost of the files also! Wished I'd known about the sanding blocks years ago as I've spent a fortune on sand paper for jobs around the house and garden over the years which would have paid for Permagrit tools over and over again.

I baulked partly because I'd already spent quite a bit on materials and other bits and pieces and still had some things to get.

Not really essential for me at the moment and I have been guilty on many occasions of buying "expensive" tools for DIY and the garage. Some I've never used!

Chris

Edited By Chris Fellows on 11/11/2017 21:52:36

Edited By Chris Fellows on 11/11/2017 21:53:26

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Boats? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Boats!

Support Our Partners
Sarik
Tony Green Steam
Restorers Wanted
Shrek
Nylet
Premier March
Pendle Boilers
Shopping Partners
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Pin us on Pinterest

Member Contributions
Distributors of Model Boats for our overseas readers
Highlights

Make sure you never miss out on the latest news, product reviews and competitions with our free RSS feed

Make your own contribution to the Website

We welcome well written contributions from Website members on almost any aspect of Model Boating with a particular emphasis on practical hints, tips, experience and builds.

In order to maintain a consistent standard and format, all suggestions should first be sent to me by Personal Message for approval in principle. Only a very limited amount of time is available for editing contributions into a suitable format for placing on the website so it is important that the material is well presented, lucid and free from obvious spelling errors. I think it goes without saying that contributions should be illustrated by appropriate photos. I shall be happy to give advice on this.

The Member Contribution area offers space for short informative mini articles which would not normally find a place in Model Boats magazine. It is an opportunity for Website Members to freely share their  expertise and experience but I am afraid that virtue is its own reward as there is no budget to offer more material recompense!

I look forward to receiving your suggestions.

Colin Bishop - Website Editor