By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Chris Fellows

Here is a list of all the postings Chris Fellows has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Commodores Challenge
05/08/2021 17:48:12

Charging finished and showing 9.01volts. Battery comfortably warm.

Looks like time for a new battery Bob!

Chris

05/08/2021 16:15:10

Given that you said that the voltages achieved were 8.1v and 8.5v then that would support Paul's view.

My battery is still charging and showing 8.51v and both the battery and charger are cool (not fully discharged from start of charging though) and should go to 9v for a 6 cell.

The values you stated would indicate that full charge hadn't been achieved and why the charger hadn't turned off and why the battery got so hot.

Chris

05/08/2021 15:42:51

Bob

When I turn on my charger it shows the last used settings, in my case:

LiPo Balance CHG

2.0A 11.1v (3s)

For charging my NiMH I do this:

Press Type/Stop which shows BATT/PROGRAM LiPo BATT in the display. Use + & - buttons to scroll to NiMH BATT

Press Start/Enter which shows

NiMH CHARGE

CURRENT 2.0A

If not 2.0A or lower then press Start/Enter and the current will flash and can be altered using the + & - buttons.

Then press Start/Enter to set the value.

Finally hold down Start/Enter for 3 seconds and charging will commence.

It's a lot easier than it sounds and you can go back by pressing Stop or disconnecting the plug.

In theory you could charge at 4A or more but I wouldn't as that will make the battery hot. Does your charger (as older than mine) have a Discharge program or peak and cycle charging? Check the charge rate though first.

Hope this helps.

Chris

Edited By Chris Fellows on 05/08/2021 15:47:44

05/08/2021 15:01:03

Bob

I think you need to check the charging rate as if too high (I use 2amp) then the battery will get very hot. Also how old is the battery? As they age the internal resistance increases which results in the temperature increasing more as they are charged.

I'm making some notes on how I set my charger.

Chris

Edited By Chris Fellows on 05/08/2021 15:21:39

05/08/2021 14:04:16

Bob

Mine is the same charger and like you I found it complicated at first and was nervous particularly as I was charging LiPos for the first time. I did wonder, as Richard said, whether any of the settings had been changed.

Having used mine quite a lot now, for different battery types and cell numbers, I'm very comfortable with using it now though some parts of the instructions are still gobblygook!

Could the "normal funny sound" be the fan which I find operates sometimes when charging NiMH? It only does it if the battery is pretty well discharged and not if it only requires a little topping up. The procedure it doesn't normally go though is puzzling though. Has it done it again since?

Chris

Edited By Chris Fellows on 05/08/2021 14:16:24

04/08/2021 17:00:45

Is it an Accucel 6 charger? If so, mine beeps, says finished, which stays in the display and stops charging. Ive had NiMh get quite hot during charging (hotter than LiPo ever do) but not as hot as yours!

Chris

Thread: Fairey Huntsman
22/07/2021 20:43:03

Models with electric motors are not helped by having the motors set so far forward i.e. in the cockpit along with a substantial part of the prop shaft, well in my case anyway!

Chris

22/07/2021 08:50:20

Where did the Huntress come into the discussion?

The Huntsman 31 seems to be the only "tender" design of all the Faireys and don't forget it's not only the latest kits that some have experienced bow down attitudes with but it can also occur with the earlier Precedent kit.

I don't remember seeing any photos of the full-size boat sitting bow down but then they have two whacking great diesels and other equipment sitting towards the stern! Given that, perhaps it is acceptable to add some ballast to replicate that in a model of the H31 as it is with other types of model boats? And not necessarily right at the stern so that the planing aspect is not upset?

As said, I've not tried my boat in the bath yet but the others have sat on the waterline and level without any thought of weight as the hull forms are more supportive at the bow.

Chris

19/07/2021 11:51:13

Hi Tim

They are prone to sitting bow down, partly because the bow design doesn't offer much support. As you say Dave's build was Ok though.

The bow will come up fine under power but try and come off the throttle gradually rather than suddenly when on the plane.

Pity to add ballast, especially as Dave's mantra was to keep it light but 150g isn't that much. Is there any scope for moving the battery back?

I can't wait to try my 1:12 version in the bath and see how it sits - needs the prop shaft and rudder installing though first.

Chris

Edited By Chris Fellows on 19/07/2021 11:54:59

Thread: All my model boat builds history
25/06/2021 09:57:46

I've decided to give up building model boats!

Chris

Thread: Thames Sailing Barge Stuff
17/06/2021 14:26:19

And carry on being taxed once retired if you have a decent works pension! You won't pay NI once you reach pension age Ray but you pay more tax, brilliant isn't it!

Yes, it always annoys me when I hear of MPs getting a full pension after very few years (is it 5?) when most of us have to do at least 40!

My wife gets her state pension in September after being diddled out of 6 years. sad

I better stop now as I guess it will be termed political! smiley

Chris

Edited By Chris Fellows on 17/06/2021 14:28:17

12/06/2021 14:18:30
Posted by Ray Wood 2 on 10/06/2021 20:07:37:

Hi All,

I'm very pleased to let you know Tiny Mite a 30" Barge Yacht built, owned and raced for many seasons by Peter Simmonds has joined my fleet after a long journey from the Isle of Wight involving Road > Solent crossing > Road to Maidstone, made worse and longer by the current situation, but she is here now, and will be on the water soon.

She joins Peter's Veronica, my Gertrude and the soon to be finished Portlight. SWMBOtm 100621.jpg is not seeing the funny side !! but she will come round

Regards Ray

Another boat is no problem Ray! laugh

Thread: RAF rescue launch ASR HSL
09/06/2021 13:11:17

One of Dave's options is to use Eze-Kote epoxy and lightweight cloth which a number of us use as it is water based, dries quickly allowing multiple coats and is easy to sand and provides strength and a good basis for painting the outside of the hull.

Not sure about using Eze-Kote on the inside (without cloth) as I've heard of instances where it can soften if in contact with water for an extended time - which shouldn't be the case. May be better to paint or use an epoxy resin.

Chris

Edited By Chris Fellows on 09/06/2021 13:11:51

Thread: Tucker Silhouette Mk2 (see album)
07/06/2021 13:29:31

I hope the members were impressed, they should be.

Haven't been to Rutland Water for years, must go again.

Chris

Thread: Yachting Monthly Eventide
07/06/2021 13:23:21

Looks really good Ray.

Are the sails self-tacking or servo operated? Looking to nick for the Fisherman!

Chris

04/06/2021 10:21:28
Posted by ashley needham on 04/06/2021 09:05:34:

Ramble away Bob, the forum is not just for itemising one build or another, but to provide some (much needed nowadays) social interaction.

If we were gathered in a pub we would be talking about all sorts, and there is no cap on the length of a thread, just look at “todays boating”....a veritable saga and some of it even about model boats!

Ashley

My thoughts exactly Ashley, but not everybody agrees. One member springs to mind! smiley

Chris

Edited By Chris Fellows on 04/06/2021 10:22:40

Thread: Tucker Silhouette Mk2 (see album)
30/05/2021 12:58:04

Looks lovely Nigel and the "realistic" photo is excellent.

You have to remember Richard that racing is a very different part of model boating and as you know it is the racing that is the important part of that discipline and is the interest for participants.

I race both yachts and power boats and they are all ARTR plastic. No way would I race one of my Faireys though I'm considering building a timber power boat with simplified detail.

Horses for courses as usual.

Chris

Edited By Chris Fellows on 30/05/2021 13:02:29

Thread: Trumpeter 1:200 Titanic
28/05/2021 15:57:30

Certainly was a moment of madness Paul! smiley

Not one but three!

Chris

Thread: HK Princess
28/05/2021 15:54:43

My race boat is the same Kev. It cavitates a lot and then takes off!

It seems a bit odd having a surface piercing prop and outrigger rudder on a boat like the Princess. You want some performance but not crazy!

Chris

27/05/2021 09:37:59

Richard, I agree that the resin look the most realistic but despite many searches I've failed to find any suitable in 1:12 scale. Well I've found the odd one but not enough for a collection of 2 or 3 which is why I've settled on some plastic ones with moveable limbs that don't look bad.

Bob, looking good and looking forward to seeing it tearing up the lake burbling serenely along!

Chris

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Boats? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Boats!

Support Our Partners
Nylet
Premier March
Sarik
Coastal Shipping August 2021
SLEC
Restorers Wanted
Pendle Boilers
Shopping Partners
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Pin us on Pinterest

Member Contributions
Distributors of Model Boats for our overseas readers
Highlights

Make sure you never miss out on the latest news, product reviews and competitions with our free RSS feed

Make your own contribution to the Website

We welcome well written contributions from Website members on almost any aspect of Model Boating with a particular emphasis on practical hints, tips, experience and builds.

In order to maintain a consistent standard and format, all suggestions should first be sent to me by Personal Message for approval in principle. Only a very limited amount of time is available for editing contributions into a suitable format for placing on the website so it is important that the material is well presented, lucid and free from obvious spelling errors. I think it goes without saying that contributions should be illustrated by appropriate photos. I shall be happy to give advice on this.

The Member Contribution area offers space for short informative mini articles which would not normally find a place in Model Boats magazine. It is an opportunity for Website Members to freely share their  expertise and experience but I am afraid that virtue is its own reward as there is no budget to offer more material recompense!

I look forward to receiving your suggestions.

Colin Bishop - Website Editor