By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for John Walsh

Here is a list of all the postings John Walsh has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: launch cradle
15/12/2013 12:23:20

image.jpgMy Launching Cradle similar to Ian's but again without hand warmers !

15/12/2013 12:19:15

image.jpgPhoto shows the lower part of the varnished wood and brass launching cradle referred to by Ian.

Thread: Help at launch and recovery
20/08/2013 14:22:12

image.jpgHi Jimmy,

I have the same launching problem.. Made a launcher from spare ply and an old broom handle. - about 26" x 16" x 9". but it could easily be adapted to suit your boats.

john w.

Thread: NorStar Osprey
13/03/2013 06:42:57

Has anyone any plans / building instructions / photographs of the 1970's NorStar Osprey ?. Any details would be appreciated. Thanks..

Thread: Nor Star Kingfisher.
05/08/2012 07:13:31

Has anyone a copy of the plans for a Nor Star 'Kingfisher' -- distributed by KeilKraft around 1971/72 and retailed at £3-58, also any photos of a completed model would be vey helpful.Norstar Kingfisher

Edited By John Walsh on 05/08/2012 07:14:23

Thread: Yeoman Minx
11/02/2012 10:57:55
Thanks to Graham Leeper for supplying me with a copy of the original 'drawings' from the kit he found in Canada, and tracings of all the parts. This design is by Eric Marx - does anyone know if he is responsible for any, or all of the others in the Yeoman range ??.

Thread: Aerokits Fast Patrol Launch.
21/05/2011 18:26:38
Hi Charlie, Thanks for your comments. I've resurrected two FPL's already - Have a look at my photos. Will post more pics as building progresses.
Thread: Wave Princess
21/05/2011 18:16:31
Hi Ian, Have a look at my Wave Princess in my photo album. Enter Nor Star in the search panel and it will bring up my two Nor Star boats. The dark blue one is a WP running on a 700 size motor, Mtroniks RV11 esc. on 9.6 volts . X42 prop. The red boat is a Wave Rider with a brushless set-up. both have Planet T5 2.4ghz radio.
Thread: Aerokits Fast Patrol Launch.
21/05/2011 12:20:03
I have 'found' an almost complete kit for an Aerokits Fast Patrol Launch - still in the box which is clearly marked 31/6. Can anyone put a date on this, I would judge it to be mid 50's - am I correct ??.
Thread: Vic Smeed Moonwind
15/05/2011 12:12:39
I have a plans list dated 1998 which gives a number of Vic Smeed cabin cruiser designs ;-
MM610 - Moonmist.......MM800 - Moonglow.......MM524 - Silver Mist , - Mistral, Lorette, Speranza, Lorraine, and Vivacity -- but no Moonwind.
Thread: New Subscribers to MB magazine, disappointed.
29/03/2011 18:49:33
Have just received my Planet T5 tx, by standard post. Two months, almost to the day after ordering my MB subscription. Perhaps inter-department communication should be looked at closely. this kind of delay is not acceptable in the 21st century !.

John W.
17/03/2011 17:53:39
Despite two e-mails and two phone calls since 25th January I'm still waiting for my Tx. The last e-mail from MB assured delivery within 10 days, if nothing is received by next Monday I'll be calling my local Trading Standards !!

John W
Thread: Hi ,new member would like some help identifying old battery boat
17/12/2010 12:31:10
This has a vague similarity to an old Vic Smeed design called 'Lorraine'.  though the plans were for a 54'' length x 12''beam hull. it could have been re-scaled.  It was described as having 'an ingenious construction giving a choice of methods and either a hard chine or rounded hull.'  I have a copy of the 1998 Model Boats Plans Service catalogue which gives the plan number as MM 512. 
I may be totally wrong of couse.... John w
Thread: Yeoman Minx
14/07/2010 12:21:05
Have recently aquired what I think is 'Yeoman Minx'   20'' length - 7'' beam.  I have seen old ads. giving the pre-decimal price as 22/6  (£1-12) but no date. Any imformation / drawings / plans / building instructions etc . would be greatly appreciated.

Edited By John Walsh on 14/07/2010 12:22:09

Thread: Nor Star
07/01/2010 11:40:36
Hi.       I am looking for drawings of the 1970's Nor Star kit 'Wave Princess'.  I am attempting a rebuild and only have a small picture in a Keilkraft handbook to go by . Any imformation would be appreciated.  Thanks - John w
Thread: ARTR
02/08/2009 12:07:47
Hi.  Many thanks for your thoughts on this range. No-one appears to have any stock at present, and do not expect any until September.    John
15/07/2009 09:33:47

My grandson is showing some interest in model boats and would like one of the Thundertiger ARTR fishing boats for his next birthtday.  I have not seen this range and wonder if they represent good value.  Prices seem to vary so much. any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thread: Lesro Sportsman steering
27/12/2008 11:50:00
Hi Ian,  Thanks for your thoughts on reversing with a wide transom, hard chine hull.  I purchased my Sportsman on e-bay some time ago, it is powered by a Graupner Speed 700 turbo on 9.6v and planes quite easily. I do not have the plans but the larger cabin section is removable, also the whole deck area, there is no specific waterproofing but very little water comes onto the deck area. If you would like to see photos - contact me on jrw@tinyworld.co.uk. I have a partially built Lesro Rapier if you would like details of that also.   Best Wishes  -  John
21/12/2008 12:03:00
Have recently aquired a LESRO SPORTSMAN. goes well but is unsteerable in reverse. Would increasing the size , or altering the position of the rudder help ?  Any help appreciated.
Thread: Aerokits Sea Commander
28/04/2007 12:12:00
I am refurbishing a 1960's Aerokits Sea Commander. Has anyone any ideas regarding a good electric motor / battery / prop. combination. ?
Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Boats? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Boats!

Support Our Partners
Restorers Wanted
Premier March
Shrek
Sarik
Nylet
Tony Green Steam
Pendle Boilers
Shopping Partners
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Pin us on Pinterest

Member Contributions
Distributors of Model Boats for our overseas readers
Highlights

Make sure you never miss out on the latest news, product reviews and competitions with our free RSS feed

Make your own contribution to the Website

We welcome well written contributions from Website members on almost any aspect of Model Boating with a particular emphasis on practical hints, tips, experience and builds.

In order to maintain a consistent standard and format, all suggestions should first be sent to me by Personal Message for approval in principle. Only a very limited amount of time is available for editing contributions into a suitable format for placing on the website so it is important that the material is well presented, lucid and free from obvious spelling errors. I think it goes without saying that contributions should be illustrated by appropriate photos. I shall be happy to give advice on this.

The Member Contribution area offers space for short informative mini articles which would not normally find a place in Model Boats magazine. It is an opportunity for Website Members to freely share their  expertise and experience but I am afraid that virtue is its own reward as there is no budget to offer more material recompense!

I look forward to receiving your suggestions.

Colin Bishop - Website Editor