By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Colin Bishop

Here is a list of all the postings Colin Bishop has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Tx modify from dry cell to rechargeable battery pack
18/06/2020 21:10:38

Yes, time to put it to bed. Just one thing worth mentioning is that with older 27 and 40 meg TXs 8 cells were required and the sets were relatively power hungry. You could use 8 alkaline or 8 NiCads and they would be happy but rechargeables were the best option in view of the power consumption.

The modern 2.4 GHz sets use both less power and on a lower voltage. Some of those I have function OK on low memory loss rechargeables but others seem to run indefinitely on alkaline cells so the latter are indeed the safer option.

Colin

Edited By Colin Bishop on 18/06/2020 21:11:17

Thread: applying epoxy to hull
17/06/2020 15:26:16

Epoxy is waterproof in its own right. In a marine environment you might apply epoxy primer and paint to a GRP boat hull which is normally laid up with polyester resin and gel coat which can absorb water over a long period when immersed (incorrectly referred to as osmosis).

No reason why you can't use it over epoxy resin of course but it's quite expensive. Many modellers use automotive primers and top coats which are cheaper.

Colin

Thread: plans
17/06/2020 12:04:45

Pierre-Jean,

I think I should just make it clear that this fotum, although hosted by the publishers, has no connection or direct link to the editorial or subsscription functions so there is no way we can address your concerns here. You need to take these up directly with the subscription people. The email address is:

help@mb.secureorder.co.uk

No more comments from anyone please.

Colin

Thread: Mintanic
16/06/2020 21:57:48

Well, I suppose if you are just about to run into an iceberg then flying a distress flag might be appropriate.

Colin

Thread: plans
16/06/2020 20:59:16

Pierre -Jean,

It is of course possible that physical plans can be scanned in and resdistributed but this requires more work than simlply circulating PDF files so the intention is to discourage copying rther than totally prevent it. It is obviously difficult for the publishers but ultimately their decision.

With regard to your subscription, my present and unofficial understanding is that publication may resume with the August issue published at the end of July. I do not know if there will still be thirteen issues per year though. Hopefully things will become clear before too long.

As I am sure you will understand, the company has found itself in a very difficult situation due to the virus and has been unable to sell the issues in newsagent shops which make up much of the circulation and income. There are great efforts taking place to resume publication on a different basis and I hope that readers will make allowances for changes that may be necessary as the alternative could be to cease publication altogether which would not be a good thing for our hobby.

We must accept that things will not be the same as they were previously and some sacrifices have to be made in what we would have taken for granted before. This is happening in many areas and not just magazine publication. We should therefore be prepared to be tolerant and hope for better times in the future.

Our favourite magazine is important to us but needs to be looked at against the tragic death toll and consequences of the dreadful virus.

Colin

Edited By Colin Bishop on 16/06/2020 21:04:19

16/06/2020 19:45:18

I think the problem is that if the plans are released as PDF files then they will immediately enter th public domain. and be circulated for free. In order to stay in business the magazine needs to retain some control over them. If you are a commercial company you cannot afford to give away your assets for free or you will go out of business.

Colin

16/06/2020 18:28:18

Unfortunately the free plans are not available to digital subscribers. Most of them are available from Sarik Hobbies but you will have to buy them separately.

Colin

Thread: My Time Media. Model Boats Magazine.
13/06/2020 12:37:53

OK, that's enough ranting folks. We all have our personal crosses to bear in these uncertain times.

There are a number of people doing their very best to get the magazine restarted and they deserve our support. Hopefully it won't be too long now. smiley

Colin

13/06/2020 10:42:39

Not sure if it is an automated date but when you go into the subscriptions page it says Next issue 31st July 2020.

That might not be far off the mark.

Colin

13/06/2020 10:41:29

Captainslog, you clearly have no idea of how the magazines are produced or the economics involved and are making wild assumptions here. The copies are sent out by the printers and not by MTM for a start. This is not the place to parade your political views.No more please or they will be moderated.

If you have a beef then take it up with the company direct and give them the benefit of your wisdom as to how they should be running things. Don't use the forum as a social media platform.

Colin

Thread: Propshaft coming away from coupling
12/06/2020 22:05:35

And if you have twin screws counter rotating then one will inevitably be affected.

As Ashley says, a locknut is just good engineering practice.

Colin

Thread: Plans for a small, plank on frame jolly boat.
12/06/2020 12:58:05

As Dave suggests, the Quaycraft boats are good quality and used by many scale modellers. If you can find the size you want they should be fine for a Corel kit. I used them on my Fishery Cruiser and added detail.

Click on the image for a larger version.

Colin

quaycraft.jpg

Edited By Colin Bishop on 12/06/2020 12:59:25

Thread: todays boating
10/06/2020 11:15:15

Could be easier to install but I think you woud find the the sharp bends would severely affect the waterflow.

Car windscreen washer pumps have been used as some of these are bi directional so the the water can either be delivered to the front or rear wipers. I think this would require a hole in the bottom of the hull to supply water.

Colin.

Edited By Colin Bishop on 10/06/2020 12:09:35

Thread: Huntsman 31
09/06/2020 12:54:23

I like the blue on the upper part of the hull, especially the bow, I thought of doing something similar but didn't dare!

Colin

Thread: Developing frame profiles from plans
09/06/2020 12:51:18

Welcome to the Forum Bill.

To develop a model hull from scratch you need a set of ines plans. Thes will include waterlines, buttock lines and, most importantly, a body plan which incorporates the information from the first two.

A body plan will actually give you all the frame shapes at designated intervals along the hull and you simply need to allow for the thickness of the hull covering or plankiing. If you Google ship lines or body plan or even model boat lines and body plan you will see lots of examples.

If you have a full set of waterlines at regualr intervals up the side of a hull you can develop a body plan from these but if you only have a set of deck plans showing the weather decks there there is not enough information. You will need plans of every deck in the vessel to develop the body plan.

You may find this article helpful.

**LINK**

There is more material, including use of CAD here:

**LINK**

Colin

Thread: Tx modify from dry cell to rechargeable battery pack
08/06/2020 21:03:33

The low self discharge types give you the best of both worlds.

**LINK**

Colin

Thread: dedicated toolbox
08/06/2020 11:26:41

I rely on Ashley's box.... laugh

And his long pole.

Colin

Thread: My Time Media. Model Boats Magazine.
05/06/2020 20:45:28

If I told you Paul, they'd have to kill me...

Colin

05/06/2020 19:06:14

Moves are under way to get things going again and hopefully there will be an annoucement soon.

Colin

Edited By Colin Bishop on 05/06/2020 20:30:47

Thread: todays boating
05/06/2020 19:03:48

Will there be spare binoculars in the crow's nest.....?

You can get an Iceberg lettuce from Tesco which would be a green scale accessory.

Colin

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Boats? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Boats!

Support Our Partners
Premier March
Nylet
Shrek
Tony Green Steam
Sarik
Restorers Wanted
Pendle Boilers
Shopping Partners
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Pin us on Pinterest

Member Contributions
Distributors of Model Boats for our overseas readers
Highlights

Make sure you never miss out on the latest news, product reviews and competitions with our free RSS feed

Make your own contribution to the Website

We welcome well written contributions from Website members on almost any aspect of Model Boating with a particular emphasis on practical hints, tips, experience and builds.

In order to maintain a consistent standard and format, all suggestions should first be sent to me by Personal Message for approval in principle. Only a very limited amount of time is available for editing contributions into a suitable format for placing on the website so it is important that the material is well presented, lucid and free from obvious spelling errors. I think it goes without saying that contributions should be illustrated by appropriate photos. I shall be happy to give advice on this.

The Member Contribution area offers space for short informative mini articles which would not normally find a place in Model Boats magazine. It is an opportunity for Website Members to freely share their  expertise and experience but I am afraid that virtue is its own reward as there is no budget to offer more material recompense!

I look forward to receiving your suggestions.

Colin Bishop - Website Editor