By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Colin Bishop

Here is a list of all the postings Colin Bishop has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: My Time Media. Model Boats Magazine.
03/07/2020 13:23:59

Foretopman and Helmsman I think. The Landlubbers live in the hold.

Colin

02/07/2020 19:47:38

So do I.

Colin

01/07/2020 11:08:44

I don't think that is a terribly helpful post Derek. Obviously you are entitled to your opinions as to what or what should not go into the magazine but don't automatically assume that everyone shares them, times change. Also bear in mind that the Editor can only publish what people are prepared to write and the content reflects this as well.

I agree that it would have been better if the company had kept readers a bit better informed over the last few months but the effects of Convid-19 have impacted on MTM just the same as with many other organisations and have resulted in uncertainty and staff and cost reductions so it is only now that things are moving in the right direction again. You cannot continue on the same basis if a substantial chunk of your income has suddenly stopped but you are still saddled with the existing costs. It is not true to say that MTM doesn't care if the magazine survives or not, more a question of can it survive in a viable way? MTM is not a modelling charity!

There has been a lot going on behind the scenes and as I said above, I'm hopeful we will hear something very shortly.

Colin

01/07/2020 10:33:23

I think we might get something shortly - be patient.

Colin

01/07/2020 09:49:34

I will ask if MTM are in a position to make any sort of statement at the moment.

Sorry Terry, although I moderate the forum I don't have the means of removing members completely.

Colin

Thread: Wooden Hull Finishing AERONAUT DIVA CABIN CRUISER WOODEN MODEL BOAT KIT
29/06/2020 13:06:54

Ray, it's great for the outside of the house too, lasts far longer than the 'external' paints you buy in the DiY stores. Very good for inside wood too such as window sills & doorframes. There is always a need for white paint in the domestic situation.

Actually it is about 4 times cheaper than Humbrol by volume...

Colin

29/06/2020 12:23:08

It's probably best not to overpaint yacht varnish as it is intended as a top coat for above water only and is slightly flexible.

If money is no object then International Toplac Snow White is an excellent and hard wearing brush on paint.

**LINK**

On full size boats that spend most of their time in the water it is intended for topsides only but on a model it will be fine for the underwater hull.

Colin

Thread: HMS PORCHESTER CASTLE
28/06/2020 20:51:53

Neil,

Recently from Leeds Model Shop

**LINK**

but I think others sell it for much the same.

As well as excellent wood to wood bonds it does also stick efectively between porous and non porou surfaces.such as wood to plastic and the water cleanup makes it nice to use with no residue.

I am allergic to nornal cyano so it is a good alternative for me.

Colin

Edited By Colin Bishop on 28/06/2020 20:52:23

28/06/2020 20:23:32

Deluxe Superphatic is an alternative to aliphatic and superglues. Not cheap but it is quick and works very well.

Colin

Thread: Covid update
28/06/2020 19:14:15

Ouch!

Thread: louis heloise
28/06/2020 17:50:07

Jeffrey,

It was Marine Modelling International. One of the issues is available on Magazine Exchange. You might be able to track down the others on Ebay.

Colin

Thread: Covid update
27/06/2020 19:16:31

Paul,

I think we all looked better when we were shiny and new (sigh).

But maybe Dave just had a bit of a fuzz.

Colin

27/06/2020 15:38:46

They had the same problem back around the time of the Trojan War Paul.

Colin

armour.jpg

Thread: Vic Smeed's HMS Cossack MM500
26/06/2020 17:44:11

Ah! Is that why the water level is low then?

Colin

Thread: Spektrum radio
22/06/2020 11:25:10

Tim and Gareth are right! embarrassedembarrassedembarrassed

Just found my DX6i handbook.

Quote:

Model Match

With patented Model Match technology you'll never mistakenly attempt to fly your model using the wrong memory again. .....

During binding the receiver actually learns and remembers the specific model memory that the TX is currently programmed to. Later, if the incorrect model is selected in the TX and the RX is turned on, the model simply won't operate.....

We live and learn...

Colin

Thread: Mintanic
21/06/2020 18:58:34

Remarkably effective Ashley, I'm impressed. I think I slightly prefer the red top but both are good.

Pond looks OK too.

Colin

Thread: Spektrum radio
21/06/2020 17:12:23

Like Malcolm I prefer to adapt the model to standard settings if possible. For example rudder throw can be adjusted by altering the linkage between the tiller and servo.

Colin

21/06/2020 12:03:25

My DX6i is as Dave describes. You can't lock an RX to a specific model setting.

Colin

Thread: Mintanic
20/06/2020 09:39:13

How about blue funnels with wings?

**LINK**

or red, white and blue?

**LINK**

Colin

Thread: Propshafts (2)
19/06/2020 18:29:54

Andy,

I have deleted your other post as duplicate.

I'm not sure that 12 inch 2mm shafts would be a good idea, they are likely to be too 'bendy' between two bearings and inclined to whip. However you can buy them at reasonable cost from ModelBoatBits which will give you a 3/16 inch dia tube.

**LINK**

I am building a 40 inch 1900s liner model which requires 13 inch shafts due to the shape of the stern and to enable access at the inner end. I chose to use 4mm MBB shafts and 8 inch Midi tubes which are a bit over 6mm diameter and then added an extra bearing at the inner end so the shaft has three bearings in all.

The shafts are a bit heavy but the motors I have bought should cope OK

**LINK**

I don't think it is likely that anyone will be in a position to do you a swap, you will just have to sell the unwanted shafts unless you decide to stick with them and accept that the tube diameter is oversize which will only be apparent on the wing shafts. To be honest I doubt if people would notice on such an inpressive kit anyway.

Colin

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Boats? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Boats!

Support Our Partners
Tony Green Steam
Nylet
Sarik
Shrek
Premier March
Restorers Wanted
Pendle Boilers
Shopping Partners
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Pin us on Pinterest

Member Contributions
Distributors of Model Boats for our overseas readers
Highlights

Make sure you never miss out on the latest news, product reviews and competitions with our free RSS feed

Make your own contribution to the Website

We welcome well written contributions from Website members on almost any aspect of Model Boating with a particular emphasis on practical hints, tips, experience and builds.

In order to maintain a consistent standard and format, all suggestions should first be sent to me by Personal Message for approval in principle. Only a very limited amount of time is available for editing contributions into a suitable format for placing on the website so it is important that the material is well presented, lucid and free from obvious spelling errors. I think it goes without saying that contributions should be illustrated by appropriate photos. I shall be happy to give advice on this.

The Member Contribution area offers space for short informative mini articles which would not normally find a place in Model Boats magazine. It is an opportunity for Website Members to freely share their  expertise and experience but I am afraid that virtue is its own reward as there is no budget to offer more material recompense!

I look forward to receiving your suggestions.

Colin Bishop - Website Editor