By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Colin Bishop

Here is a list of all the postings Colin Bishop has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Model Railways
25/07/2021 19:13:19

I always enjoy looking at model railway layouts in any scale, particularly when they incorprate rolling stock I used to be familiar with.

I also like travelling on the various heritage railways around the UK, steam or otherwise. Over the years we have been on the Bluebell Line, Isle of Wight Steam Railway, Romney, Hythe and Dymchurch Railway, Dartmouth Steam Railway, various North Wales Railways, Ravenglass & Eskdale Railway and the Swanage Railway.The latter has locomotives that I used to trainspot back in the 1960s passing through Surbiton hauling classic trains, such as the Atlantic Coast Express, the Cunarder and the Ocean Liner Express. Great memories.

Abroad we have travelled on quite a few trains of which the Greek Diakopto–Kalavryta railway in th Peloponnese was one of the most spectacular along with the Norwegian Flam Railway.

There was also an interesting railway high up in the Pyrenees with spectacular views.

As an aside there are quite a few subterranean railways which take you into cave systems in various parts of Europe. You usually need to keep you head well down though!

Colin

Edited By Colin Bishop on 25/07/2021 19:15:58

Thread: Todays Boating
25/07/2021 09:29:12

I think it only fair to point out that when it comes to realism, there has been a non flying walrus in the Scilly Isles for the last couple of weeks... laugh

Colin

Thread: Fairey Huntsman
22/07/2021 22:03:27

I think traditionally it was to enable sufficient clearance between the inside of the keel and the motor shaft. axis.

No reason why you can't mount the motor as far aft as possible really.

Colin

22/07/2021 11:40:26

I don't think a bit of extra weight in the stern of the model will do any real harm but it did lift the bow a lot more at full speed. However, the full speed on the model was well in excess of any scale speed so if you throtttle back a bit then it should look fine. After all, this is a near scale boat not an out and out racer. A sort of marine hot hatchback rather than F1!

Dave recommended a 3S Lipo but I found that the boat was almost uncontrollable at full speed and went over on its side in a turn. It now has a 2S pack and performs well enough for me.

the 3S pack found its way into the Swordsman which is heavier, beamier and generally more stable.

Colin

Thread: Self Steering Mystery
22/07/2021 10:19:34

I think you could be right Richard, the mechanism does look a bit 'agricultural' and not part of a more complex setup.

Colin

22/07/2021 09:49:02

If you Google Model Yacht Vane Gear you will see various explanations plus useful diagrams of how it all looks and works. You can then work out what is missing from your boat.

Colin

Thread: New Ferries
21/07/2021 12:52:35

I thought some of you might be intersted in the power setup in the new ferries for Brittany Ferries which are being ordered. The hybrid LNG/electric arrangement offers a lot of versatility to ships which experience constantly differing power demands on relatively short routes. The diagram in the article shows the options and what they can be used for plus the ships can make use of shore power when berthed.

**LINK**

Colin

20/07/2021 17:33:44

As already mentioned, I think there is a tendency to remove too much material from the bow blocks and make the section a bit over concave. It is quite easy to overdo the balsa butchery....

Mine looks fine when it starts moving, it only droops when it stops!

Photos of the full size Huntsman show that it sits level at rest.

Colin

Thread: Warwick Show 2021 Cancelled
20/07/2021 13:09:51

The following statement has just been posted on the Mayhem site.

Colin

It is with deep regret that due to the ongoing uncertainties of Covid-19 pandemic; we have to announce the cancellation of the 2021 International Model Boat Show which was due to be held at the Warwickshire Event Centre on the 6th & 7th November.

This difficult decision is taken despite a real determination by the Meridienne Exhibitions team, trade, clubs and other supporters, all striving to continue to deliver the usual high quality and successful event during this very difficult time.

Over the past few weeks, we have been in the excruciating position of considering every possible scenario to see how we might be able to proceed, but sadly the risks of holding the event now far outweigh the reasons for going ahead.

The core decision is based on the escalating cases of COVID-19, and the risks that widespread illness and self-isolation could have on everyone involved. We have navigated our way over the past 16 months through obstacles, but now feel that the odds are stacked against us and we are no longer in a position to be able to proceed safely with the unknown government Covid-19 requirement for Autumn/Winter ahead.

We look forward to seeing you all again in the future and thank you for your support.

20/07/2021 11:06:08

Here is my Huntsman at Bushey in 2018.

Colin

album l img_9613.jpg

19/07/2021 21:39:39

The Perkasa prototype and supporting information was sent to SLEC late last year so hopefully it will still appear as a kit and tribute to Dave.

Colin

19/07/2021 20:18:03

Dave and I compared notes at the Mayhem meeting in 2019 and there seemed to be no obvious reason for the discrepancy. He was as puzzled as I was.

Colin

19/07/2021 19:21:38

Nothing to be done about it really, you just hav to accept it. No problem with the beamier Swordsman.

Colin

19/07/2021 19:03:07

My boat uses Dave's specifications to the letter.

Colin

19/07/2021 13:45:02

Yes, Dave's prototype sat level at rest but others have reported the bow down attitude of their kits. I suspect it is due to the quite subtle bow section where there is a tendency to carve off too much material from the balsa bow blocks to achieve the Fairey double curve.

I tried putting a bit of ballast in the stern of mine and although it didn't affect the performance noticeably it did make the bow come up rather too much at speed so I removed it.

Colin

Thread: Toggle switches for RC sets
19/07/2021 12:56:03

Good selection on Component Shop too and a lot cheaper!

**LINK**

Colin

Thread: Osprey - Trip Boat 28'
17/07/2021 20:08:53

Looks great Ray.

Colin

Thread: Question About V. Smeed's 'Starlet'
16/07/2021 16:03:15

A Jpeg file is the same in Apple or Windows. Most files straight off cameras are too big for this relatively old system and need to be reduced to something like desktop resolution or around 500kb.

If you have an Apple Mac then you can use the preview function:

**LINK**

Something like 1024 × 768 pixels should be OK.

Colin

Thread: Glueing wood to polystyrene ?
15/07/2021 09:47:37

Kev is correct that Superphatic will stick wood and styrene sheet together although I'm not sure if I would rely on it for a stressed joint. There seems to be something 'sticky' in Superphatic in addition to the white resin glue which enable it to bond dissimilar materials provided that one side is porous. It sometimes shows up as brownish tint when dry.

Colin

Thread: Model Boats August 2021
13/07/2021 20:26:32

The Cover and contents of the August 2021 issue can now be seen on the website front page.

In the August 2021 issue of Model Boats magazine, don’t miss:

• Your chance to WIN:
    * A Mtroniks DigiSOUND5M Sound Module

* Revell’s latest and newly-tooled 1:72 scale US Navy Swift Boat kit

*A copy of the just launched Crowood Press title, Modelling Naval Ships in Small Scale

• A fascinating interview with the Component Shop’s Iain Lewis about the changes and improvements he’s made since taking over as organiser of the Blackpool Boat Model Show, what visitors can look forward to at this October’s event and his plans for expansion going forward
  • Wired for sound: a then and now look at adding audio to R/C model boats
  • Flying Saucer on the Water!: a great fun scratch built UFO (Unidentified Floating Object) that’s proved a real pondside crowd-pleaser
  • HMS Hambledon: tricks from this clever 1:72 scale semi-scratch built Type 1 Hunt Class destroyer shared
  • Paddle Wheels and performance: this little documented topic tackled
  • Waterjet propulsion: a modeller’s introduction to the principles behind, and the installation and operation of, waterjet drive
  • Hail Mary: a rookie modeller confesses all…
  • Boiler Room: some very valuable boiler buying advice shared
  • Memory Lane: this month’s trip takes us back to the ‘beginning’ by reflecting on ‘The Golden Box’
  • Flotsam & Jetsam: yet more classic model boat titles from the collectors’ bookshelf dusted off and re-evaluated

PLUS

• A round up of the latest hobby-related news
  • Your Letters: views aired and useful info flagged up
  • Your Models: seven whole pages of brilliant builds showcased
Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Boats? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Boats!

Support Our Partners
Shrek
Restorers Wanted
Sarik
Premier March
Nylet
Tony Green Steam
Pendle Boilers
Shopping Partners
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Pin us on Pinterest

Member Contributions
Distributors of Model Boats for our overseas readers
Highlights

Make sure you never miss out on the latest news, product reviews and competitions with our free RSS feed

Make your own contribution to the Website

We welcome well written contributions from Website members on almost any aspect of Model Boating with a particular emphasis on practical hints, tips, experience and builds.

In order to maintain a consistent standard and format, all suggestions should first be sent to me by Personal Message for approval in principle. Only a very limited amount of time is available for editing contributions into a suitable format for placing on the website so it is important that the material is well presented, lucid and free from obvious spelling errors. I think it goes without saying that contributions should be illustrated by appropriate photos. I shall be happy to give advice on this.

The Member Contribution area offers space for short informative mini articles which would not normally find a place in Model Boats magazine. It is an opportunity for Website Members to freely share their  expertise and experience but I am afraid that virtue is its own reward as there is no budget to offer more material recompense!

I look forward to receiving your suggestions.

Colin Bishop - Website Editor