By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Colin Bishop

Here is a list of all the postings Colin Bishop has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Naval Museum Madrid
22/06/2018 18:47:19

Thanks Terry, I doubt if I will visit Madrid any time soon but it is always useful to have these heads up about places that you could miss if tyou re in the area. Bergen also has a great maritime museum. There is another on Lake Lucerne and a really nice one on the quayside at Chania in Crete.

Colin

Thread: Spot the missing workshop
22/06/2018 18:43:01

That's not all that is down there Paul, be afraid, very afraid...

Colin

workshop 3.jpg

Thread: PT109 Conversion
22/06/2018 17:43:10

It's actually quite a small model for r/c conversion. Most people go for the bigger Italieri version. I think you will only be able to put one motor in it. without getting involved with micro engineering.

There is a video of a conversion here:

**LINK**

And you might find some other material if you Google Revell PT 109 rc conversion.

Colin

Edited By Colin Bishop on 22/06/2018 17:43:25

Thread: Naval Museum Madrid
22/06/2018 17:06:14

Thanks for the tip Terry, what sort of exhibits do they have? Are there many models?

Colin

Thread: PT109 Conversion
22/06/2018 17:05:02

Paul is right, by packing too much in it could make the model too heavy and lower the freeboard. Putting in three motors is unlikely to have much extra effect on practical performance at this scale. The usual practice is either to put in two independently driven screws to improve handling or one overscale one for simplicity. The non driven propellers can simply be left to freewheel or remain locked.

Colin

Thread: Spot the missing workshop
22/06/2018 16:38:23

Oops! I think I may have put up a photo of the secret Jack Daniels cellar by mistake. embarrassed

Colin

22/06/2018 16:32:34

No Paul,

It's one of these depending on how much money is left in the budget...

workshop 2.jpg

workshop 1.jpg

22/06/2018 15:15:45

Dave,

Green, oh dear but needs must I suppose. Yes, Cedar is inherently rot resistant.

What colour will the inside be?

Colin

22/06/2018 12:47:24

Dave,

I know you have had plenty of unsolicited advice but if I might throw my twopennyworth in...

My house, as with all the others on this estate features western red cedar cladding. In the 38 years we have been here I have only used SOLVENT based woodstain and it looks as good as when we first moved in. It is a very thin spirit based high VOC formula which really soaks deep into the wood for maximum weather protection and fade resistance.

Most of the stuff you see in the DiY places is 'water based' which doesn't penetrate to anything like the same extent and contains waxes for water repellence which sit on the surface and eventually peel after a few years wherea the solvent based stuff can just be sloshed on again to rejuvenate it every 10 years or so.

The solvent based stain is a bit smelly when initially applied until the volatiles evaporate and contribute to global warming and it does tend to splash around as it is such a thin liquid but I still reckon it is well worth it. It looks much better too as the finish is totally matt unlike the sheen you get with much of the waterbased stuff.

Apologies if you already know all this.

Colin

22/06/2018 09:27:22

Why wait Dave, all you need is a really big allen key and a box of expletives...

Glad to see things are moving at last, there will be no limits to what you can produce this winter.

Colin

Thread: A lovely boat
21/06/2018 15:18:01

Whist driving around southern Greece last week we stopped off at a small harbour for coffee and this beautiful craft caught my eye. The proportions are exquisite and she is a one man fishing boat with an inboard engine.

The second boat also attracted attention because of its name. As far as I could see this particular item did not feature on the local taverna menus!

Colin

album l img_9249.jpg

album l img_9250.jpg

Thread: todays boating
19/06/2018 16:15:58

One meaning of tank tops is the upper surface of a ship's double bottom (Ooh Matron!) so I don't want you sniggering in my bilges thanks very much...

Colin

19/06/2018 14:51:05

Lurking in the bilges Dave? Sounds a bit suspicious to me. Is it a suppressed yearning for tank tops?

I should perhaps have elaborated and said electrics rather than just electronics. Depending on space the batteries sit in trays on the bottom and the ESCs might sit on top of them. In my Revell QM2 everything is right down low except the RX to keep the aerials as high as possible. Horses for courses really.

Colin

19/06/2018 11:14:20

I always put my electronics in made to measure plasticard trays that sometimes sit directly on the hull bottom. The tray prevents any water in the bilges reaching them under all normal circumstances.

Colin

Thread: From Kit to RC - New guy here
18/06/2018 18:48:32

Enjoy yourself Matthieu!

Colin

18/06/2018 18:34:22

If you want to ease yourself back into the hobby, you could do a lot worse than to look at the Model Slipway offerings as Dave suggests. They go together easilty and perform well.

Colin

Thread: Aaarrrgghhh!
18/06/2018 09:53:12

Hi Chris,

Sorry you missed the issue but it is normal practice in the publishing industry to bring magazines out in advance of the nominal month. In the case of Model Boats the dates can vary from month to month as there are 13 issues in each year (included in your subscription) so the publication dates have to be juggled about a bit to allow for the insertion of the Winter Special in November.

However all is not lost as back issues are available from a number of sources including this one:

**LINK**

I would recommend that you get hold of the June issue and not try to freelance the model as in addition to the plan there is a lot of other useful building information in it.

Good luck with your build and post some photos on here if you can.

Colin

Thread: MTB KIT to R/C
16/06/2018 16:25:33

You may find Dave Abbot's article useful too if this is the same model:

**LINK**

Colin

Thread: Sarnia
13/06/2018 17:03:13

In theory you may be correct Paul but in practice it could be difficult to establish a fair valuation that an insurance company would accept and if they were to appoint their own appraiser then the consequential premiums are likely to be unaffordable as some people have discovered. I suspect the best you could hope for in practice, assuming you have really well documented your model, and it is included under your household policy, would be something based around the going Ebay rate for a broadly comparable item.

It will however be interesting to see if anyone has direct experience.

It may be easier to get a payout if your model was in a show and covered by the organiser's third party insurance but that also raises interesting questions. Over many years as MEX judge I used to see some quite fantastical estimates of value offered up by entrants - £10,000 for a kit in one instance as I recall and I remember thinking '''good luck with that if it falls off the stand!'

Colin

13/06/2018 14:01:28

I'm afraid this rather falls into the '''' how long is a piece of string' category. If the models are amateur built then the time spent building them has no monetary value and they are effectively irreplaceable. They may have a sale value but there are no guidelines for this and you could only find out by actually selling them! Generally, amateur built model boats have very little monetary value when sold. If any are working models then maybe the cost of the radio systems etc. could be claimed for but that might not exceed the insurance excess.

It's no doubt similar to if your hobby was painting pictures - how could you put a monetary value on them. Usually they just have sentimental value and you can't put a price on that!

Colin

Edited By Colin Bishop on 13/06/2018 14:03:51

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Boats? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Boats!

Email News - Join our newsletter

Love Model Boats? Sign up to our emails for the latest news and special offers!

Support Our Partners
Premier Thursday
Pendle Boilers
Premier March
Expo Tools July 14th
Shrek
Sarik
JSB MODELS
Shopping Partners
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Pin us on Pinterest

Member Contributions
Distributors of Model Boats for our overseas readers
Highlights

Make sure you never miss out on the latest news, product reviews and competitions with our free RSS feed

Make your own contribution to the Website

We welcome well written contributions from Website members on almost any aspect of Model Boating with a particular emphasis on practical hints, tips, experience and builds.

In order to maintain a consistent standard and format, all suggestions should first be sent to me by Personal Message for approval in principle. Only a very limited amount of time is available for editing contributions into a suitable format for placing on the website so it is important that the material is well presented, lucid and free from obvious spelling errors. I think it goes without saying that contributions should be illustrated by appropriate photos. I shall be happy to give advice on this.

The Member Contribution area offers space for short informative mini articles which would not normally find a place in Model Boats magazine. It is an opportunity for Website Members to freely share their  expertise and experience but I am afraid that virtue is its own reward as there is no budget to offer more material recompense!

I look forward to receiving your suggestions.

Colin Bishop - Website Editor