By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Colin Bishop

Here is a list of all the postings Colin Bishop has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: FREE Bespoke Model of WWII HMS Diamond
23/10/2020 11:09:57

I used to have some of those old mini lead acid batteries. They'd fizzaway for ages when charging and then deliver hardly any power. Limited lifetime too.

Colin

Thread: BRUTUS MK 11
23/10/2020 11:05:50

Very sorry to hear about Joyce Bob but equally glad she is OK. It must have shaken her up pretty badly and yourself too. Just take it easy for a bit now.

Colin

Edited By Colin Bishop on 23/10/2020 12:01:08

Thread: Model Boats November 2020
22/10/2020 16:07:15

The cover and contents of the November 2020 issue of Model Boats can now be seen on the website front page.

In the November 2020 issue of Model Boats, don't miss your chance to WIN a fabulous airbrush set and portable spray booth, courtesy of Expo Tools.

Contents:

• Capture the moment: release your inner Spielberg – and no, you’re not going to need a bigger boat!
  • The gorgeous Galway Hooker: the touching story of a model boat builder, his young apprentice and a tricky Båd Mór build.
  • Atomic smitten: reflecting on the 1950s’ atomic-powered prototype NS Savannah and the models produced.
  • Transformed into Torrens: how making modifications to a kit for the Cutty Sark allowed another magnificent Colonial cutter to be created.
  • Phalanx formation: a hands-on assessment of RPG Models’ 1:35 scale Mk-15 Phalanx Close-In Weapons System.
  • A brief history of model yachts: the evolution of these scaled-down beauties explored
  • Hitting the Beach: the mission to build Mountfleet Models LCM(6) concludes.
    Soobrazitelynyy: the step by step guide to the 1:72 build of the Russian multi-purpose Soobrazitelnyy corvette continues.
    Boiler Room: selecting the correct valve for your particular requirements explained
  • Buy the book: riveting new reads recommended.

Plus,

• Compass 360: latest news plus recent prize draw winners announced.
  • A bumper 9-page Your Models/Your Letters/Your Hints & Tips section.
Thread: Fairey Swordsman 33
21/10/2020 19:10:39

They seem different to me.

Colin

Thread: 1/32 Mountfleet Models Sir Lancelot
19/10/2020 14:59:30

It sometimes helps with uneven GRP superstructure sides to glue and clamp a length of square or rectangular section rigid wood along the inside where it won't get in the way of anything else.

Colin

Thread: new lifeboat modellers forum
18/10/2020 18:52:30

Sorry Neil I can't change it, must be to do with the way the original image was encoded in the camera, it does happen sometimes.

At least you can see that the vessel was non self righting! smiley

Colin

Thread: robbe F14 twin stick navy 40mhz
18/10/2020 15:02:38

I'm afraid that post was ten years ago Allan!

Colin

Thread: Returning modeller
16/10/2020 19:51:32

James. it is a doddle! I have just done it on my latest model, no fancy engineering needed on a relatively sedate model.

The short tube takes care of the two aft bearings. It is very easy to make the third one. All you need is a short length of brass tube to fit closely over the shaft. Once the shaft is in position in the tube, slide this over the shaft at the inboard end and fix it in position with some wood attached to the hull underneath and alongside in a sort of loose crutch and glue in position with epoxy. being careful not to exert any pressure on the shaft while the glue sets.You then have a third bearing which runs freely. A touch of grease does the rest.

Sometimes bodges like this can be just as effective as model engineering. Basically you are just running the shaft in a close fitting sleeve to steady it. That is all you need.

Colin

Thread: Scale Model River Craft
16/10/2020 16:16:08

Paul,

Are you aware of the old Shipwright plan of Ring of Light, extracts of which were published in the Reeve & Thomas book?

The plans used to be marketed as part of the Harold Underhill range now sold by Brown, Son & Ferguson but are no longer listed.

Colin

ring of light low res (4).jpg

Thread: Returning modeller
16/10/2020 15:43:18

With such long shafts there is a risk of 'whipping' in the tube if there are only two bearings. A possible option is to have a shorter tube and then support the exposed inboard end of the shaft with a separate bearing close to the motor.

Modelboatbits offer a choice of 4mm or 5mm shafts and matching size tubes, both in a variety of lengths.

**LINK**

olin

Thread: What Happens to Model Boats Magazine Unsold Copies?
14/10/2020 22:27:42

I was told that unsold retail copies were pulped but it is of course possible that the situation has changed.

But to support the magazine people really need to take out a subscription to give the best chance of keeping it solvent.. Buying ad hoc at newsagents doesn't really help all that much as most of the sale price goes to the distributor and retailer.

Colin

14/10/2020 19:25:21

I think it comes down to the print run costs and facilities for managing back issues Chris.

In the end it's all down to costs. Back issues have to be stored and admin arrangments put in place for requests to be sent out and payment arrangments set up. If your organisation is operating with people working mainly from home this all becomes problematical. They used to do it but they have swapped hard copy for digital via Pocketmags.

Yes Traplet may have done it but Traplet went bust...

Colin

14/10/2020 17:15:21

Chris,

As with all magazines, unsold retail copies are pulped. Standard industry practice.

The publishers used to keep a stock of back issues themselves but this no longer appears to be the case, probably to cut down on print run costs. Single copies can be purchased in digital format from Pocketmags but of course you won't get the free plans.

**LINK**

Other than that it's the secondhand market I'm afraid.

The Covers and Contents features are put on the website prior to publication as a 'taster' and to encourage sales - preferably by subscription.

As you say, not all free plans are taken up for the Plans Service. It probably depends on an assessement of their commercial appeal and reflects what the contributor has been paid. I don't know what the criteria is for that but it has been the practice for many years now.

Colin

Thread: Todays Boating
11/10/2020 19:29:21

I think I will stay under the duvet Ashley.

Colin

09/10/2020 11:08:57

Best of luck but it could be difficult, once under water objects tend to slide around (think Titanic) and can end up a considerable distance from where they were last seen.

Colin

Thread: Robbe S-130 shafts
05/10/2020 18:23:17

Or have a look at ModelBoatBits:

**LINK**

Colin

Thread: Fisher 34 motorsailer
05/10/2020 14:28:07

I had a look at a sheet in Hobbycraft at Worthing this morning. The finish is good but you might want to experiment with clear coatings. Also I'm not sure if the silver goes all the way through or whether cut edges will be white, in which case you will need an aluminium colour paint marker to touch them up.

Hobbycraft were asking £12 for a small sheet which is a bit over the top I think.

Colin

04/10/2020 22:31:47

Prices vary a bit.

Cornwall Model Boats:

**LINK**

Hobbycraft::

**LINK**

Ebay:

**LINK**

Colin

04/10/2020 18:39:05

You can buy silver styrene plastcard sheet.. Alternatively make the frames and then use a liquid chrome marker pen, Molotow are the best. However to preserve the lustre it does take about a week to cure properly. But having said that, a slightly dulled down finish might look better.

There are also some good acrylic aluminium model paints available. Tamiya comes in gloss and matt versions.

Colin

Thread: Norfolk Wherry
03/10/2020 09:02:04

Topics merged.

Colin

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Boats? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Boats!

Support Our Partners
Premier March
Sarik
Nylet
Tony Green Steam
Shrek
Restorers Wanted
Pendle Boilers
Shopping Partners
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Pin us on Pinterest

Member Contributions
Distributors of Model Boats for our overseas readers
Highlights

Make sure you never miss out on the latest news, product reviews and competitions with our free RSS feed

Make your own contribution to the Website

We welcome well written contributions from Website members on almost any aspect of Model Boating with a particular emphasis on practical hints, tips, experience and builds.

In order to maintain a consistent standard and format, all suggestions should first be sent to me by Personal Message for approval in principle. Only a very limited amount of time is available for editing contributions into a suitable format for placing on the website so it is important that the material is well presented, lucid and free from obvious spelling errors. I think it goes without saying that contributions should be illustrated by appropriate photos. I shall be happy to give advice on this.

The Member Contribution area offers space for short informative mini articles which would not normally find a place in Model Boats magazine. It is an opportunity for Website Members to freely share their  expertise and experience but I am afraid that virtue is its own reward as there is no budget to offer more material recompense!

I look forward to receiving your suggestions.

Colin Bishop - Website Editor