By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Colin Bishop

Here is a list of all the postings Colin Bishop has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: 1/32 Mountfleet Models Sir Lancelot
16/04/2021 20:32:04

That's great George. Really pleased with your result. As must be you be.

Colin

Thread: Liverpool class lifeboat and tractor/carriage build
16/04/2021 17:36:35

Hope it all works out for you Neil, we don't want you turning into an extractor fan!

Colin

Thread: Beginners RC fishing boat
16/04/2021 12:25:28

Billings are not always the best boats for less experienced builders and the instructions have a reputation for being hard to follow in some instances. Charles' suggestion above is a good one for a practical first model of this type. Plus you are supporting a UK company!

Ellie Mae:

**LINK**

Colin

Thread: 1/32 Mountfleet Models Sir Lancelot
16/04/2021 12:19:38

Have you done some floatation tests with all that stuff aboard George? Stability can sometimes be an issue with this model unless the bulk of the internal weight is carried low down.

Colin

Thread: Rails
15/04/2021 18:40:07

Thanks Bob, yes, I have the book and will refresh my memory.

Colin

15/04/2021 15:50:02

I need something like that for my 1:150 scale liner models. Did you use a jig Bob? I have some solder paint which will take care of the actual soldering.

Colin

Thread: Todays Boating
14/04/2021 16:44:39

Looks very impressive Ashley. Is she stable - particularly in a turn?

Colin

Thread: Model Boats May 2021
12/04/2021 21:18:11

Don’t miss the exciting Miami vice-style speedboat model FREE plan, lots of fascinating and informative features, latest news, your views, and much, much more – all in the May issue of MB!

In the May 2021 issue of Model Boats magazine, don’t miss:

• Our FREE plan and step by step guide to creating an exciting working speedboat model that will bring a bit of Miami vice to your local pond!
  • Building Bobin: how to construct and power a totally charming and lots of fun micro-yacht explained
  • Box clever: practical, better safe than sorry, advice on protecting your models while in storage and during transportation
  • Ready for your next project? We present Leader, the UK’s first hybrid Pilot’s boat
  • HMS Saumarez: scatch building a 1:200 scale beauty using both tried and tested and innovative new methods and techniques
  • Get the right angle: a simple but effective hobby hack shared
  • Cockatoo Island Dockyard: the historic Sydney tourist attraction that’s definitely a trip for every model boat builder’s ‘bucket list’
  • Just hold a Sprengbrook: another blast from the past in our Memory Lane series
  • Boiler Room: tackling the practical application of soft soldering
  • Soobrazitelynn: in the penultimate instalment in this series, it’s onwards and upwards with the flight deck, figures, helicopters and ship’s rigging

PLUS

• Compass 360: our round-up of the latest hobby related news
  • Your models: more of your brilliant builds showcased
  • Your letters: views aired, information shared and appeals for information you may be able to help with
  • Buy the book: riveting read recommendations for your model boats bookshelf

Thread: Dave Milbourn Funeral Arrangements
12/04/2021 14:08:29

Yes, it was and bowing out to 'Take it Easy' by the Eagles too!

We will certainly miss him.

Colin

Thread: 2021 Builds during lockdowns
11/04/2021 18:42:50

Quite agree Bob, it is a tour de force but really not a practical model and nor could you display it in a glass case in your living room!

I always thought that the Aquitania was the most graceful of the Cunarders, followed by the Queen Elizabeth. Queen Mary was very impressive but was really an updated Aquitania and looked a bit 'old hat' compared with Normandie. However I did like the QM which I saw at Southampton and we had a night aboard her at Long Beach in 2001. My Wife had to drag me off in the end!

Colin

11/04/2021 15:48:59

Bob,

Here is a real traditional British Merchant Navy model build:

**LINK**

And it is a table top model too!

Colin

Thread: New chap here.
10/04/2021 22:16:38

Sorry, the second link was labelled Drumbeat but actually referenced the Tamar lifeboat! The first one is OK though.

Colin

Thread: Power Supply
09/04/2021 18:16:22

Not quite useless Ashley, you can always replace the affected cell but I take your point.

As you say, the motors should be able to take 14.4 volts for short periods but many radios allow you to set the endpoint on the various channels using dual rate so you can limit the voltage that way.

Colin

Thread: New chap here.
09/04/2021 17:34:01

Hi Simon,

Alternative recommended electrics/electronics systems fror this boat can be seen here:

**LINK**

**LINK**

The Graupner Speed 600 motors mentioned no longer seem to be available but alternatives would be:

**LINK**

**LINK**

Colin

Thread: Power Supply
09/04/2021 16:14:55

They will make you up custom versions if you ask. They made me up a split version to tuck into the bilges of my Fishery Cruiser to keep the weight low down.

From your post I thought you were looking to run the motors on 12v as specified.

The 12v pack can be used to deliver 12v to both motors. It's just the same as sticking two 6v packs together in series.

Colin

Edited By Colin Bishop on 09/04/2021 16:35:29

09/04/2021 14:42:17

Component Shop sell 6v 5000MAh power packs:

**LINK**

You could run one to each motor.

Colin

Thread: Dave Milbourn RIP
07/04/2021 18:59:53

Liz Milbourn would like to share the image below in memory of Dave.

When they were clearing out his clothes, her daughter took away Dave's favourite shirt that he had worn for years and his Action R/C Electronics fleece without her noticing it. She then presented Liz with 'Little Dave' made out of his shirt and the fleece and with the Action R/C Electronics logo displayed. As Liz says: ‘Such a lovely idea! so I have my 'Little Dave' now to remind me of the bigger one and he even has the same clothes!’

One could imagine Dave’s comments on this – they would probably include a reference to his favourite glass of Jack Daniels but the rest might have been unprintable!

I’m sure many of us will raise a glass to Dave to mark his funeral on Monday. Webcast details are listed on the other thread on the Forum.

RIP Dave, we’ll certainly miss you.

Colin

little dave.jpg

Thread: Todays Boating
04/04/2021 19:06:14

Yes Ashley, that's my problem, a 25 mile drive and maybe can't get in! Still, the schools go back around the 19th so perhaps the situation will improve then. Keep us informed.

Colin

Thread: 2021 Builds during lockdowns
04/04/2021 18:45:44

Bob,

You always seem to be concerned at the extent of interest shown in your work but I think you worry too much. I build for my own satisfaction, if others acknowledge it then all well and good but if not I'm not bothered.

I also always like to see what others are doing even if it's not something I would do myself. You learn something new all the time even if life is too short to put all of it into practical effect.

Colin

04/04/2021 10:11:14

Two lockdown threads merged.

Colin

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Boats? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Boats!

Support Our Partners
Premier March
Tony Green Steam
Nylet
Sarik
Shrek
Restorers Wanted
Pendle Boilers
Shopping Partners
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Pin us on Pinterest

Member Contributions
Distributors of Model Boats for our overseas readers
Highlights

Make sure you never miss out on the latest news, product reviews and competitions with our free RSS feed

Make your own contribution to the Website

We welcome well written contributions from Website members on almost any aspect of Model Boating with a particular emphasis on practical hints, tips, experience and builds.

In order to maintain a consistent standard and format, all suggestions should first be sent to me by Personal Message for approval in principle. Only a very limited amount of time is available for editing contributions into a suitable format for placing on the website so it is important that the material is well presented, lucid and free from obvious spelling errors. I think it goes without saying that contributions should be illustrated by appropriate photos. I shall be happy to give advice on this.

The Member Contribution area offers space for short informative mini articles which would not normally find a place in Model Boats magazine. It is an opportunity for Website Members to freely share their  expertise and experience but I am afraid that virtue is its own reward as there is no budget to offer more material recompense!

I look forward to receiving your suggestions.

Colin Bishop - Website Editor