By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Tim Rowe

Here is a list of all the postings Tim Rowe has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: IOM Boxkite
19/04/2021 20:17:19

A few little jobs to do. Like sorting out the bung.

p1230251.jpg

This was the original arrangement with a retaining string attached to the backstay fitting. I decided to lead the string inside the boat as it would be one less thing to catch on.

p1240103.jpg

Which meant gluing an attachment point inside the hull. This has a dual purpose that I will come to later.

p1240514.jpg

The new string now leads into the boat and I fitted a short length of aluminium tube reamed out as far as I dared with a taper. The original hole in the ply deck was a bit ragged and I thought it would leak. Water will always get into a boat but I want to give it a hard time.

p1240515.jpg

Now firmly in place.

The tiny deck patch covers the top of the rudder tube for good measure.

Tim R

17/04/2021 09:01:28

Hello Eddie

I didn't know that and it was difficult to see into the bottom of the hole. I will have a closer look and see if I have to round it off. That would mean a new plug if the mast went any lower as the vang gooseneck would hit the deck. What I might do instead is drip some epoxy into the bottom of the hole to make a flat base. If I overdo it I can always take a fraction off the plug.

I am not too concerned about stopping the mast from rotating as the tension in the shrouds acting through the spreaders seems to be good enough. That is the only thing stopping the mast rotating on the Topiko.

Thanks for the heads-up. It sounds like a good idea.

I bet the Ellipsis drawings are exciting. It will be very interesting to see the form difference from the Nimbus.

Tim R

17/04/2021 07:04:00

Moving on to the rig there was a fair bit to do. It had all the bits and pieces but I found out quite quickly that it was not the original or proper mast for the boat. My friend had puzzled over that too. This was not a disappointment however because the spars, fittings and sails were from SailsEtc and all in good shape.

p1230236.jpg

As delivered the first thing to note was that the mast was too long at the lower end. You can see that the boom vang gooseneck is a long way above the deck. Also with the rigging screws wound as as far as one could dare, the mast was raked back at an alarming angle leaving a huge gap under the jib. I wanted to get the mast as low as possible because this would still not be an extreme position according to the rules.

p1230645.jpg

Taking out the rig (The big A rig) and stripping off the fittings for cleaning I found that the base of the mast had a wooden dowel plug inserted, glued and riveted through the aluminium tube. There was also a loose piece of roughly carved wood in the mast hole acting as a further extension. All a bit messy and the wood was a bit pointy concentrating the load in the mast box.

img_5769.jpg

The short piece was the loose insert and the long piece the riveted dowel. I have no idea why it was so long and the only way I could get it out was with a blow torch to burn off the epoxy. Taking care with the very smelly fumes and equal care not to melt the aluminium it came out. Heating aluminium is tricky because it melts before it gets visibly red hot so you get no warning. Now I have a bare mast and can make the mast the exact length I want.

img_5775.jpg

The wood insert was replaced with a shouldered Delrin plug turned to be a push fit in the mast section.

img_5777.jpg

And the finished job with a nice flat bottom to spread the load in the keel box. No fastenings needed because it is always in compression against the shoulder.

Thread: Dragonforce 65 Ordered
15/04/2021 16:08:58

That's good Chris

Will you do a little unpacking and setting up blog? I would find that very interesting as I am half toying with the idea for a chuck-in-the-back-of-the-car boat. The IOMs and Galileo need a bit of planning.

Tim R

14/04/2021 13:13:56

Thanks Eddie. I should have said the actual tab was twice as long in the cut state. I was then folded back on itself so it wouldn't stick to the deck.

By moving the winch to the middle section I did create a a bit of extra work.

img_5849.jpg

The winch line originally came out through this break in the deck but now with the winch relocated to the mid section as shown I had to make arrangements to get the winch line back on deck.

img_5862.jpg

I has to have a lead-out fitting and as Ray has commented on the price of commercial fittings (in this case around £15 and a long lead time) I decided to make one. The basis is a small aluminium plate with a slot in the middle. The slot houses a short length of alloy tube formed into a shallow S bend. As I don't yet have the facilities for aluminium soldering, the fitting was bulked up with epoxy and micro-balloons and sanded into the shape in the photo. The fitting is bolted through the deck just forward of the turning block that the boat was already fitted with. The new lead-out fitting takes the line from under the deck straight into the turning block and the closeness with hopefully prevent any tangling. It does mean that I have one less line on deck which is a little bit neater.

Tim R

Thread: A couple of IOM yachts
14/04/2021 12:57:54

Thanks George

Very helpful.

Tim R

14/04/2021 12:03:01

Eddie

I haven't got the drawing yet so I am not sure. It is possible that I might double plank it first with balsa and then an external veneer of mahogany. I have various stocks of well seasoned wood that I can machine to the sizes I need.

I am quite sure balsa will figure prominently and I will be generous with the original thickness to give me a good sanding allowance to fair things up.

I would like to get into soldering and home anodising aluminium then I could make many of the fittings. I already have pre-bent mast sections from SailsEtc and I shall use their booms and boom fittings. It's a pity the Graupner Regatta sail winch does not seem to be available any more. I had one on my Topiko and it failed. Shame because it was strong and quite fast and not so expensive as the RMG. It also had an additional lead to bypass the supply via the Rx.

Tim R

13/04/2021 18:46:24

Hello Eddie

It is interesting to note that the closer you get to the front of a fleet the differences in tuning become minute. Good starts, light touches on the helm excellent tactics then make all the difference if applied consistently. Plus of course the hunger to win.

I think it was Malcolm who may have said if you have two yachts on the water you have a race. That's true even if it stays in your head.

Looking forward to comparing notes on the Ellipsis.

What made you choose that design. I am curious.

Tim R

12/04/2021 22:38:48

Getting there with the hull. Deck patches are the next job.

img_5568.jpg

To make the paper templates I marked the edges of the apertures with the side of a pencil lead in the style of church Brass Rubbings. I then added 8mm all around for the patches to overlap. I read somewhere that 6mm was the minimum but that looked a bit skinny and I had 8mm space available to keep them all the same so that decided it. These were then stuck to some ply we use for templates (similar to Lite Ply but a lower quality and the offcuts are generally free) with my favourite method with Pritt Stick.

p1230295.jpg

Here we have the complete set with the forward two doubling up as mirror images.

p1240509.jpg

This is the midship patch template as an example. I told a slight fib as I had to make a small scallop to clear the radio pot.
I am a big fan of making templates and jigs and furthermore have learnt the hard way to label them. I still have a small collections of things I have no idea what I made them for.

p1240510.jpg

It is then dead easy to cut the patch around the ply using a very sharp scalpel. The patch material is woven, self adhesive and a selection of colours is available from SailsEtc where I got mine.

This centre patch is the one that is more likely to need removing periodically as that is where all the gubbins are. For that reason I made a tab to make it easier to start the peel. If you have to scratch away at an edge, the patch pretty soon becomes useless and the deck gets scratched.

Before painting the final spray coat on the deck I lightly scribed the corners of each patch. This shows up in the top coat and means that the position and orientation of the patches can be found easily.

p1240511.jpg

While the ply templates were out I made some paint screens from some cereal box card. These protected the inside while the deck was being painted.

I can now get on with the rig.

Tim R

Thread: A couple of IOM yachts
12/04/2021 19:48:08

That must have been very satisfying Eddie.

It was for me, just looking at the photos.

There are lots of good tuning tips for IOMs on the web. Two really important features are to have sufficient twist in the mainsail and associated twist in the jib due to the wind gradient. A lot of people sail with two much vang. The second is the relative sheeting angles between the main and the jib. A good starting point for going to windward is the end of the main boom being about 10mm off the centreline and the jib sheeted further out. On the jib for the Nimbus the end of the jib boom will probably be roughly half way between the mast and the shroud. You can control the twist of the jib to adjust the slot using the jib boom topping lift. You will know when you are hitting the sweet spot when it feels like the turbo has cut in!

I must get the Boxkite on the water soon.

Tim R

11/04/2021 20:57:55

Congratulations Eddie

Tim R

10/04/2021 18:56:03

Very nice Eddie

The information I have is that you need 270mm of winch travel. The Hitec I have in the Boxkite delivers 3 1/2 turns which is far to much so as I have a Spektrum Tx I had to use the Travel Adjust function, Other makes call it End Point.

Can't weight to see them on the water.

Tim R

10/04/2021 15:20:32

Hello Eddie

As long as the hull length doesn't exceed 1000mm I suppose it is not too critical how long the bumper is. I would not want to make it longer than 20mm on an IOM and think between 10mm and 11mm is ideal.

Tim R

10/04/2021 12:54:58

Hello Eddie

I think the idea is that the bumper has to be a minimum 10mm. On many dimensions there are tolerances of +/- 1mm so I reckon 11mm is fine. There would be no advantage or incentive to make a bumper any larger so I reckon Frank is just playing safe for the home builder. He is an experienced designer.

Mine has come out at 10.5 mm again as a tolerance because if you are less than 10 you are out of class.

Have you made a start on the Ellipsis. It is next on my IOM list.

Tim R

Thread: 2021 Builds during lockdowns
09/04/2021 17:47:05

A really nice collection there NIgel.

You have inspired me to have a go at my un-started Billing Dragon and make that RC too.

I like the Dolphin artwork!

Tim R

09/04/2021 17:04:03

There has been a bit of talk on Carl's threads about bow bumpers.

p1230229.jpg

This is a reminder of what the original foam version looked like and it had been used in anger with a permanent dent half-way down. It definitely had to go and this is what I did:

img_5637.jpg

I carved and profiled a piece of medium hard balsa that was stuck temporarily to the bow with double sided tape. After fairing and painting, the pattern was stuck to a piece of glass plate (again with double sided tape) and then given multiple coats of wax.
The blue tape creates a trim line for the completed mould and facilitates releasing from the glass.

A fairly stiff mix of epoxy and micro-ballons was pasted over the pattern and glass and allowed to gel. The rest of the mould was then made up with odd bits of glass cloth and rovings inside a balsa frame. When the mould was finished and thoroughly cured, out came the pattern. Not in one piece however which was a bit too much to hope for. The mould surface though was good.

img_5818.jpg

The mould was then filled with liquid silicone catalysed at 5%. Although I mixed carefully and gently I did manage to introduce some air and you can see some bubbles rising in the liquid mix. The lesson for next time is that there is no rush as the silicone is very slow curing. There were a few bubbles in the final moulding and I should have let the mix stand for probably 1/2 hour before pouring.

p1240507.jpg

This time though, using a very light smear of Vaseline in the mould, the bumper release very easily. Before doing that however, the top (mating) surface was carefully trimmed with a brand new traditional razor blade.
Here you have a better view of the mould construction.
For the technically minded the Shore hardness for this silicone was stated at 25. On the IOM the hardness is not stated but usually is limited at 70 otherwise it starts to take on battering ram characteristics and you quickly lose popularity with your racing mates. 25 is quite nicely squidgy.

p1240279.jpg

The bow area was then masked off to keep the bonding silicone off the paint.

p1240284.jpg

And the bumper taped in places while the moisture curing bathroom type white silicone did its stuff. The bow bumper now matches the hull profile accurately and it now looks the part.

Just to note that the hull has now had its primary polish and the deep gloss is starting to develop.

Tim R

08/04/2021 18:48:19

Thanks Chris and Eddie

My friend has more or less decanted back to the UK. He never intended to become a Spanish resident and just enjoyed the freedom of movement. He tried to give the boat back to me but I just can't bring myself to take possession. I am now therefore the custodian and really I am the lucky chap.

It has been a bit of a change from building and in a way, a bit more of a challenge because it didn't start from where I would have done and tricky sometimes to know when to stop.

I am enjoying every bit.

Tim R

08/04/2021 12:09:26

Hello Eddie

We have a hardware shop right opposite and I try to find what I need there as it will be a lot cheaper than the model shop 35 kilometers away in Palma. Especially for standard stuff like paint. They can mix to a colour chart but this blue was of the shelf and very close to the original colour.

Right from the outset, the plan was to get all the weights concentrated as close as possible to the middle. In a racing yacht it is very important to keep weight out of the ends. It helps on all sailing boats, models and full size. A new tray was needed.

p1230291.jpg

A top view of the tray made from 1.5mm ply.

p1230292.jpg

A bottom view of the tray with some Liteply stiffeners.

p1240109.jpg

Now painted and with the steering servo and sail winch fitted. The unit can be taken in and out of the hull by releasing four bolts and the servos are bolted through the tray. On final fitting I needed a fraction more clearance for the steering link rod under a deck beam so I underslung the servos.

p1240275.jpg

Finally installed in the hull. The tray bolts to a cross piece glued to the remnants of the old mount for the steering servo and to a notched piece of ply glued around the aft end of the keel casing.

Everything important is now under one deck patch in the middle of the boat and the battery now goes in the base of the pot with the Rx sitting on top.

Tim R

07/04/2021 22:41:47

I have made some progress with the Boxkite so time to report in.

img_5546.jpg

A suitable piece of ply was found for the hole and glued in place using epoxy. The same epoxy was used to seal the underside as it would be tricky to completely seal with paint or varnish afterwards. The brace across the top was a piece of soft balsa held with a couple of tiny spots of glue so it it be broken off easily when the patch had cured. The balsa keeps the patch in perfect alignment with the top of the deck.

img_5576.jpg

When coated with the high build primer the patch disappeared. The paper scrunched up inside was to stop primer getting onto the keel box because I need to stick things on that later.

p1230647.jpg

The paint stages are too boring for the interim stages but two coats of spray primer gave me a uniform base surface. Eight coats of enamel were then hand painted just sanding enough in between coats to remove dust and to get a good key. The penultimate coat was flatted right back so that the final coat would be as smooth as possible. This cuts down the work at polishing stage and creates a very fair surface.

In this photo you can see the final coat which has a good gloss but has the brush marks and the odd speckle here and there. The bottom has been prepared for final polishing using wet / dry paper used wet going from 400 to 800 to 1200 and finally 1500 grit. This leaves a perfectly matt surface and if you are lucky this can be done within the thickness of the last coat so you don't get any beach marks. It doesn't matter too much because on final polishing these tend to disappear.

The hull was left in this un-polished state while the rest of the work was completed. Two reason for this:
If the coatings got scratched I could repair before polishing . The other is that the paint will continue to harden over the 4 further weeks or so needed to complete. Fully hardened paint takes a much better polish.

p1240107.jpg

The decks were self finished with a rattle can as they would be a nightmare to polish without breaking through and anyway, not really necessary as by the time the deck patches are fitted along with the hardware, not much of the deck is on show. There was one problem caused by a previous owner using a silicone based lubricant around the mainsheet turning block. The minutest trace of silicone contamination causes the paint to kick and produce fish eyes. I was able to improve it a bit but it still remains as a feature!

Tim R

Thread: Rigging
07/04/2021 21:59:07

Carl

Not just a deck mounted mast either. The mast is held forward by a stay that runs in the luff of the jib and connects down to the deck with a swivel.

The forestay and backstay don't just hold the mast up. Tension on the backstay keeps the luff of the jib nice and straight. That is a lot more efficient than a saggy luff.

I do use a temporary forestay (just a mirror image of the backstay) when setting up. This keeps the mast in the desired position while I fiddle about with the jib arrangements.

Tim R

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Boats? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Boats!

Support Our Partners
Premier March
Tony Green Steam
Nylet
Sarik
Shrek
Restorers Wanted
Pendle Boilers
Shopping Partners
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Pin us on Pinterest

Member Contributions
Distributors of Model Boats for our overseas readers
Highlights

Make sure you never miss out on the latest news, product reviews and competitions with our free RSS feed

Make your own contribution to the Website

We welcome well written contributions from Website members on almost any aspect of Model Boating with a particular emphasis on practical hints, tips, experience and builds.

In order to maintain a consistent standard and format, all suggestions should first be sent to me by Personal Message for approval in principle. Only a very limited amount of time is available for editing contributions into a suitable format for placing on the website so it is important that the material is well presented, lucid and free from obvious spelling errors. I think it goes without saying that contributions should be illustrated by appropriate photos. I shall be happy to give advice on this.

The Member Contribution area offers space for short informative mini articles which would not normally find a place in Model Boats magazine. It is an opportunity for Website Members to freely share their  expertise and experience but I am afraid that virtue is its own reward as there is no budget to offer more material recompense!

I look forward to receiving your suggestions.

Colin Bishop - Website Editor