By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Richard Simpson

Here is a list of all the postings Richard Simpson has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Model Railways
25/07/2021 13:48:53

As I suggested on another thread it might be nice to see member's model railways I thought I would start the ball rolling with a couple of my own. Hopefully this might tempt some others to follow suit:

16-02-19-11layoutj15j94scopwicksignalbox2.jpg

18-04-19-12layoutnwgladiatorupgrade12.jpg

30-04-20-10layouttractionenginetrain4.jpg

p1070569.jpg

p1070575.jpg

Thread: decaperm motor
25/07/2021 10:04:04

63/- was a lot of money in the 60's! My first pocket money in the 70's was 2/6. Just enough for a Series 1 bagged Airfix kit.

Thread: Motor+prop advice
25/07/2021 09:13:11

Charles I believe that irrespective of the size or means of control of your model if you interfere with wildlife in any way you would be liable for prosecution. Obviously using sophisticated control systems helps us to minimise these risks but I think we all have to take responsibility for ensuring that third parties and wildlife do not get injured.

It is obviously also worth considering the insurance aspects of such activities. Operating with a club and on club waters during scheduled times then you would be bound by the requirements of the insurer to remain covered. If you operate on your own outside such cover then you really are on your own in the event of something going wrong.

Sending a large heavy model out onto open water with no means of control, other than pre-set automation, and with no protection of club insurance does strike me as very risky. I am assuming the automation works on GPS to take account of ambient conditions but I suspect that it might not be so sophisticated as to include avoidance capabilities, or am I making incorrect assumptions here?

Thread: decaperm motor
25/07/2021 08:52:11

Hi John, glad I could help, especially to get such a beautiful locomotive back in operation. I for one would love to see more shots of your layout.

If that is a 1/20th scale loco then you must be working with home made track and everything scratch built? Perhaps it is worth starting a model railway thread with a few more shots of your layout, maybe on the "Soapbox" forum.

Edited By Richard Simpson on 25/07/2021 08:53:37

24/07/2021 13:59:48

I managed to dig out a spare Decaperm I have and have just taken it apart. From what I can see you are best leaving the motor end on the body and only removing the end cover, which is tight but which prizes off the posts.

You can then assemble a lot easier. Have a look at the following pictures to see how the spring is located on the brushes. With the brushes and springs assembled it should be straightforward to refit the rotor before finally putting the end cover back in place.

It is always worth remembering to take photographs of something as you take it apart so that you can see how things go back together.

p1070868.jpg

p1070869.jpg

p1070870.jpg

p1070871.jpg

24/07/2021 13:07:12

From what I can see there the two brushes locate on the posts that carry the current from the connections on the outside ends. I cannot see any way in which the brushes are fitted from the outside so I am assuming that they have to be fitted first then the motor assembled.

What isn't so straightforward is how the springs are fitted. Again with no obvious external access you might have to fit the springs before assembly. If that is the case I would fit the brushes, then the springs then, holding the two brushes apart with a fine implement drop the rotor into the bearing. Then you can release the brushes to allow them to sit against the commutator. Then the rest of the motor should drop into place.

See how you go with that process. If you can get to the posts to clean them a little it might be worthwhile. They look a little corroded, which may affect current transfer to the brush holders.

24/07/2021 09:45:15

John, I would hate you to think you are being ignored but I suspect that there might be no-one here who has changed the brushes on a Decaperm. However at the end of the day reassembly is simply the reverse of disassembly with the carbon brushes simply sliding back into their sockets and the spring being reassembled to hold them against the commutator.

One thing you should have done was to identify which carbon brush came from which socket and which way around it was orientated. If you didn't you must at least identify the curvature on the end of the brush and ensure that it matches the curvature of the commutator. If you have access, some people might put a piece of very fine abrasive (2000 grit or finer) on the commutator, with the grit facing the carbon, gently hold the brush against it, and rotate the commutator backwards and forwards. This ensures a good seat between the brush and the commutator.

If you are still unsure then perhaps you could post some good pictures so we can see what the arrangement is and help you to reassemble.

Thread: New Ferries
24/07/2021 09:32:39
Posted by Chris E on 24/07/2021 09:18:57:

It obviously isn't a problem with ferries but with the new LNG cruise liners I wonder how many ports have LNG bunkering facilities. They don't need them in every port but availability might have an impact on cruise schedules - along with the Covid effect + others.

I guess it might be like electric cars. Great idea but be wary of a shortage of recharging facilities.

Even in this day and age there are many ports that either do not have bunkering facilities or, more likely, they do not have the type of fuel that your vessel requires. The itinerary is obviously created to take this into account by the shore side planning team. Not only availability but cost is also factored in as a few of dollars difference on a ton might make a big difference on the total bill.

The big challenge is when a sudden change of itinerary is required, such as hurricane avoidance, and your fuel supply suddenly becomes unavailable. I have had to take fuel from a barge, anchored outside a port, once due to such circumstances.

At the end of the day availability of fuel has to be factored into the itinerary.

I have already mentioned the fact that Covid is going to play a part in ship design in the future, especially cruise ships. This, along with new different fuel requirements, is inevitably going to put the cost up of travelling by sea.

24/07/2021 09:23:15
Posted by ashley needham on 21/07/2021 23:06:52:

Sorry Richard...I can be a bit useless at times....

Ashley

Ashley, in the days when I used to work for a more traditional cruise company and we had to attend cocktail parties we used to go back to the Officer's Ward Room afterwards and discus some of the questions we had been asked by passengers.

Some of them were quoted for many years afterwards.

24/07/2021 09:13:53
Posted by Colin Miller on 24/07/2021 08:38:23:

I hope they get to sea quicker than the 2 new LNG Calmac ferries

which are turning into an utter disaster.

One thing that’s been highlighted for these ferries due to be used on the Clyde

the LNG gas is having to be shipped from Scandinavia or Spain using vessels/vehicles powered by diesel

so how much greener are they really?

Always the same with a new technology, not the new units themselves but the support network required to operate them. Look at electric cars.

Ideally the supply of LNG should have been procured first but, if there are no ships to use it at that time, then how are they going to make money back on the investment to install the LNG plant? I agree, to start with the net environmental impact is less than perfect but at least they can now move forward and get to a net zero situation.

I suspect that all LNG ships are going to initially be supplied with fuel carried by diesel powered vessels but soon the supply ships themselves will use the fuel they are carrying, just as many LNG tankers have been doing for many years by using the cargo boil off as fuel in the engines.

Eventually, when the market is established, it will be worth someone's while to build a LNG plant and produce the fuel where it is required.

Edited By Richard Simpson on 24/07/2021 09:18:16

Thread: Self Steering Mystery
22/07/2021 10:05:21

The more I look at it the more I suspect that, being a relatively simple and old model, that the rope on the main sail attaches to the eyelet at the rear of the tiller arm. Consequently the rudder is simply being used as a means of stabilising the direction by counteracting the pull to either side of the main sail.

Balanced against that the other rope is attached by the hook to the eyelet on the top of the rudder stock with the loop of the rope passed into the split ring on the deck. Balancing the length of the two ropes then allows a limitation of main sail travel and rudder movement for a given movement of sail. The rope at the forward end limits the rudder travel and the rope at the aft end limits the main sail travel.

Just a thought, I might be completely wrong. You might be able to convert this to a balsa sail type of operation as per the vintage yacht picture above but it might be more appropriate to simply operate the model as per the original design intention.

The bottom line is that I may just suspect now that there is nothing missing!

Edited By Richard Simpson on 22/07/2021 10:06:39

21/07/2021 16:42:16

Oh and emergency batteries are still good old lead acid up to 2010.

21/07/2021 16:41:06

Don't be silly Ashley, they don't use batteries for main propulsion, they use an extension cable.

Thread: John Longford 'Barbara'
21/07/2021 16:39:24

Welcome to the forum Stewart. As Ashley says you are much better with a matching shaft and tube if at all possible, especially when you are dealing with an old tube. If it is too difficult to remove then you might have to consider making and fitting new bushes to suit a modern shaft. Have a chat with "Prop Shop" for options or have a look at the shaft and tubes available from "Cornwall Model Boats."

Pictures would definately be a huge help in identifying motor requirements. You need to look at creating an album, into which you can load your own pictures, then you can use those pictures in any post you make on the forum.

Thread: Can anybody clear this up for me
21/07/2021 16:32:31

That is a model produced by an Italian company of what they describe as a Titanic Lifeboat. If you compare it with real pictures of the Titanic boats it is not far off but is not completely accurate either. I have just converted one to a steam launch, and completely changed the scale, which will be covered in Model Boats Magazine in the not too distant future.

p1070811.jpg

p1070821.jpg

Edited By Richard Simpson on 21/07/2021 16:32:57

21/07/2021 13:18:47

The latest generation of cruise ships are using dual fuel diesel engines with LNG and diesel fuel as the two fuels. Diesel fuel for deep sea and LNG for alongside. The rest of the plant is fairly standard diesel electric set up.

The trouble is that both LNG and diesel fuel are both of a much lower calorific value, especially LNG, than residual fuel so the ships actually need to carry and burn more fuel for a given passage, reducing space available for cabins. Added to that is the significant amount of energy required to maintain the LNG as a liquid and it is easy to see the overall cost of running the ship is going to be a lot higher than it has ever been.

On top of all that Covid is going to force a rethink of the numbers of passengers allowed on ships so profitability is going to take quite a hammering. The cruise and ferry industries are both going to go through some difficult times before things settle down again.

21/07/2021 13:09:24

The link seems to take you to a software site Colin!

Ah, second time OK, looks like it was being overwritten by Malware!

Edited By Richard Simpson on 21/07/2021 13:10:30

Thread: Self Steering Mystery
21/07/2021 12:16:09

Not my area I'm afraid but this might just help a little before someone who knows what they are talking about can help.  You are obviously missing the rudder sail and possibly one or two other bits.

By the way welcome to the forum and you don't have to apologise for asking a question!

01-06-19-29cadmashowdoncaster29.jpg

Edited By Richard Simpson on 21/07/2021 12:17:15

Thread: Colin Archer 1:15 scale
21/07/2021 09:05:14

I agree with Ray, I don't think I've seen another Colin Archer with the interior added. It really takes the model to another level.

Lovely job.

For hinges have a look at Doll's House fittings.  I recently used some doll's house door hinges as locker hinges.

p1070788.jpg

Edited By Richard Simpson on 21/07/2021 09:11:29

Thread: Fairey Huntsman
20/07/2021 12:08:44

Please do not think I am critisising anyone here, I am simply adding comment for discussion!

I think something that is frequently overlooked is the complete difference between static stability and dynamic stability. Every vessel on the water, model or full size, is designed to be at its most stable at its normal operational speed. All other speeds are therefore a compromise. Many real life vessels can be difficult to manoeuvre because their hull form is designed to be its most efficient when moving at normal speeds.

What I am therefore basically suggesting is that the stability at full speed is far more important than the way it sits in the water at slow speeds. I am sure that Dave took this into consideration with the design so if my model looked a little bow down when going slow I would not be concerned. Colin's looks perfectly set up at speed with just the right amount of hull clear of the water.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Boats? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Boats!

Support Our Partners
Shrek
Restorers Wanted
Nylet
Tony Green Steam
Premier March
Sarik
Pendle Boilers
Shopping Partners
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Pin us on Pinterest

Member Contributions
Distributors of Model Boats for our overseas readers
Highlights

Make sure you never miss out on the latest news, product reviews and competitions with our free RSS feed

Make your own contribution to the Website

We welcome well written contributions from Website members on almost any aspect of Model Boating with a particular emphasis on practical hints, tips, experience and builds.

In order to maintain a consistent standard and format, all suggestions should first be sent to me by Personal Message for approval in principle. Only a very limited amount of time is available for editing contributions into a suitable format for placing on the website so it is important that the material is well presented, lucid and free from obvious spelling errors. I think it goes without saying that contributions should be illustrated by appropriate photos. I shall be happy to give advice on this.

The Member Contribution area offers space for short informative mini articles which would not normally find a place in Model Boats magazine. It is an opportunity for Website Members to freely share their  expertise and experience but I am afraid that virtue is its own reward as there is no budget to offer more material recompense!

I look forward to receiving your suggestions.

Colin Bishop - Website Editor