By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Charles Oates

Here is a list of all the postings Charles Oates has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Motor+prop advice
25/07/2021 09:45:14

Hi Richard, I think you are spot on, it uses gps positioning. Great for research purposes, under informed aware and considered conditions. I have no idea what level of experience and knowledge the poster has, for all I know he may be a very experienced developer, with full knowledge and back up to prevent accidents. If not,....... Then the project could be an accident waiting to happen.

Charles.

25/07/2021 08:57:55

Hi Ashley, all good points. My main concern is the idea of a model not under the control of the operator, there is too much that can go wrong. I'm sure the technology works just fine, but it can't tell if someone or something gets in the way. If the model had a system to over ride the gps using radio control, and was under constant scrutiny, that would be fine, but what would be the point of doing it?

Charles.

24/07/2021 23:42:13

I hope you don't mind me asking joao, how do you address the safety aspects of this model? A 1 kw boat, massing maybe3 to 4 kilos could be very dangerous under autonomous control. Do you need special insurance? It's on its own in a seaway or river, you're not in control. If a swimmer or wildlife got in the way, it could be lethal. What would the law say, would you be liable? There's a good reason most of us use radio control, we can see risks and stop the boat when needed.

Personally I've no time for ardurover type systems in modeling, especially with a quick model.

Charles

24/07/2021 15:46:42

Josh, the advice related by Kev is very good, and I believe is plenty for your model. 1.2 meters isn't particularly big, and the drawing you put a link to shows a narrow hull, too large a motor would be a very bad idea in that model. As long as it's made properly, and not too heavy, the overlander motor will have plenty of power.

Thread: Revell 1:72 HMCS Snowberry
13/07/2021 15:05:27

I'm puzzled by that Paul, it looks like one of their geared motors in the picture, or have I missed something,....again.

Thread: Merco 61 engine
01/07/2021 12:08:33

Yes Ray, that does happen, but I feel it's better to be positive and encourage interaction with help, and not go off on a tangent. I've never forgotten nearly being put off modeling 60 years ago by one of those ' you don't do it like that' people, but was saved by a really helpful chap who encouraged me. That's what I try and do now..

Please understand, I'm not being critical, of anyone, I just hope we can help Luke with his problem.

01/07/2021 09:50:24

Hi Luke, as a first time poster you must be wondering what electric boats have to do with getting engine spares. In the past I ran merco engines and liked them, now days, as far as I know all official sources of spares have dried up. However, with luck there is a way around it. You don't say what the problem is, but for general servicing, join a club where ic engines are run, I'll bet one of the older members can talk you through it, they're not complicated. You might even get someone who'll do it for you. As for getting parts, eg a con rod or whatever, look on ebay. Sometimes an old engine will appear that you can strip for the parts, I've even seen engine parts on there. Your last option is to approach a model engineering club, especially those who run live steam locos. Those guys are highly skilled and might make some of the parts you need,, though castings would be a problem.

Post again saying just what part (s) you are looking for, it's possible someone on this and other forums will have something lying at the bottom of a spares box.

Charles

Thread: Swordfish, Jetex & Ashley's Article July 2021 Model Boats
12/06/2021 15:22:18

I used to modify the fuel and motor, a common practice in my youth. I'd drill a hole down the middle of the pellets, and make a hole in the gauze disc, then enlarge the exhaust hole a little. The fuze then had a straight line and came out easily. The mods were to power the Dan Dare rockets featured in Model maker in the 1950s. I must have made a dozen different rockets from 1 inch square balsa, and they flew well.

I also tried the modified motor in the little jefex boat, it flew across the pond like mad for a few seconds, then sank in a hissing, steaming cloud. At 12 years old I thought it was fantastic, so much fun that wouldn't be allowed now.

Charles.

Thread: November 2007 Magazine on Digital
20/05/2021 19:09:03

It opens fine on my tablet, no problems.

Thread: RAF rescue launch ASR HSL
18/05/2021 10:47:38

Hi Philip, it's not unknown for a plan to have inaccuracies, even from some famous designers so the old adage, measure twice, cut once is very helpful. Another possibility, is when a builder cuts to the wrong line on the plan, some can be confusing about which line is which.

If you want to broaden the bulkhead edges, you could just glue a strip of 4 mm wood along each edge, simpler, cheaper and easy to do than adding bulk and weight.

I hope you enjoy your build, keep us posted.

Charles

e it measure twice, cut once

Thread: Two Brushed motors and 1 ESC
12/05/2021 15:51:06

Hi Ted, everyone is glad to help. What I didn't make very clear is your battery capacity. It's easy to suppose that a 12 ah lead battery will last for 1 hour if you draw 12 amps. Not so, the capacity is quoted assuming a minimal current draw, perhaps 1 or 2 amps. Drawing 12 amps will reduce it's capacity hugely, plus there's a strong chance that the battery has been over discharged. That would reduce it's capacity even more, in plain English, it's probably stuffed.

The rest of the setup sounds fine, probably similar to many models on here. Do the checks, then assuming we are correct, change the battery, a nimh battery would be my choice for that model.

If you're interested in the technical stuff, the internet has lots of info.

Charles

12/05/2021 09:12:56

Hi Ted, your problem sounds like something commonly referred to as brownout. If I'm correct, what's happening is that the voltage from the battery is dropping when you use full throttle. When the voltage drops below a certain point, the esc stops working, then as the motors stop, the battery recovers a little and it starts again. The lead acid battery you're using is far from ideal, they are very prone to this effect when used with larger motors.

There are two simple ways to check if I'm correct. Firstly you could put a voltmeter across the battery, and check the voltage when the motors are on load, in the water. A check of the voltage without the load won't tell you anything. Second way is to substitute the lead acid battery for a nimh or lipo pack and try again. These batteries work quite differently, and don't suffer voltage drop in the same way.

It's a surprisingly common problem and can easily lead to misinterpretation as a fault with other bits of the installation..

Let us know how you get on, good luck.

Charles

Thread: RAF rescue launch ASR HSL
11/05/2021 10:39:50

Tim beat me to it. When I built a similar model, I went round our local cheapo shop looking at packaging. I used the plastic from small bottles, they were only 1 mm out, quite ok for me.

Thread: May 2021 Model Boats Mag
30/04/2021 15:41:31

Sorry, I wasn't clear. I read mine on this site, I've never used pocket mags, and didn't see any reference to it on this thread. Is it Pocket mags that's the problem?

30/04/2021 14:41:17

That's odd, I've got the May digital copy. It arrived on Monday as I expected.

Charles

Thread: Battery life
26/04/2021 13:44:26

If your numbers are right, 27 mins. 5 ah Batts, 11 amp draw. It's easy to work out, 5 divided by 11 equals about .45. then divide by 60 mins, hence 27 mins.

You obviously understand that there are many if's but's and maybe's, but that is how to get in the ballpark.

Chas

Sorry, I've just noticed that you said 2 x 5 ah Batts, in parallel so double the 27 mins, ....54 mins.

That will teach me to read the question properly, just like school!

Edited By Charles Oates on 26/04/2021 13:49:36

Edited By Charles Oates on 26/04/2021 13:55:32

Thread: May 2021 Model Boats Mag
25/04/2021 11:35:25

Hi Chris, my point of view is different to yours, some points to consider:

Digital copy is cheaper, it doesn't make you a 'second class citizen' you're just purchasing a different product.

The absence of free plans from the digital edition has been explained ad nauseam, see above.

I don't receive my digital copy untill a few days after the official publication date, I don't remember it being different, so, because this is what I expect, it isn't a problem.

I'm not privy to the roll out practices of the magazine, but I bet there's a good reason for things being the way they are. I'm perfectly content with that, life's too short for me to be concerned with how they run things.

I could go on, but I'd rather be building a model.

Charles.

Edited By Charles Oates on 25/04/2021 11:36:41

Edited By Charles Oates on 25/04/2021 11:37:24

Thread: comparison of self steering systems
19/04/2021 08:46:10

Hopefully you'll get a good reply from someone on here. You could also look at the web pages for the model yachting association.

https://mya-uk.org.uk/

Charles.

Thread: Beginners RC fishing boat
16/04/2021 09:45:41

Have a look at Elli Mae from Mobile Marine Models. It's a nice model, available as complete as you want it. They are also very helpful about all the electrics etc. The running gear and motor can be included.

Edited By Charles Oates on 16/04/2021 09:49:21

Thread: Dave Milbourn Funeral Arrangements
12/04/2021 14:19:58

That was an excellent service, it did him proud.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Boats? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Boats!

Support Our Partners
Shrek
Restorers Wanted
Sarik
Premier March
Nylet
Tony Green Steam
Pendle Boilers
Shopping Partners
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Pin us on Pinterest

Member Contributions
Distributors of Model Boats for our overseas readers
Highlights

Make sure you never miss out on the latest news, product reviews and competitions with our free RSS feed

Make your own contribution to the Website

We welcome well written contributions from Website members on almost any aspect of Model Boating with a particular emphasis on practical hints, tips, experience and builds.

In order to maintain a consistent standard and format, all suggestions should first be sent to me by Personal Message for approval in principle. Only a very limited amount of time is available for editing contributions into a suitable format for placing on the website so it is important that the material is well presented, lucid and free from obvious spelling errors. I think it goes without saying that contributions should be illustrated by appropriate photos. I shall be happy to give advice on this.

The Member Contribution area offers space for short informative mini articles which would not normally find a place in Model Boats magazine. It is an opportunity for Website Members to freely share their  expertise and experience but I am afraid that virtue is its own reward as there is no budget to offer more material recompense!

I look forward to receiving your suggestions.

Colin Bishop - Website Editor