By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Dave Milbourn

Here is a list of all the postings Dave Milbourn has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Balsa Shortage
26/09/2020 18:18:01

Liteply is made from laminations of Ceiba; it has no balsa content. Apart from the uses for the timber its seeds are a source of kapok and they can also be pressed to produce oil. The tree is also known as the silk-cotton tree.

Just because something is upheld as 'common knowledge' doesn't make it factually correct.

Happy to bust another myth!

DM

26/09/2020 11:34:33

Word is that the Chinese have bought up all the plantations which were for sale and all of the produce from the rest. They will pay any price so you can't really blame the plantation owners for selling to them. After all, those plantations are in some of the poorest countries on earth and it's easier to grow, harvest and replace fast-growing balsa than it is to clear forests of native species forever.

Strangely it seems ecologically sensible to me to plant and harvest sustainable real rainforest trees (balsa) than destroy native hardwood species so that you can grow cereal to feed cattle or make palm oil. There's also the point that the wood is being used to make wind-turbine blades rather than, say, flat-pack furniture.

BTW Liteply has no balsa content......wink

Dave M

25/09/2020 18:36:08

Balsa grows very quickly, which is why it's so light. According to Ian at SLEC the Chinese have bought up all the world's balsa plantations and their produce for the next N years.

Has anyone seen anything but bad news for the last six months? I think I'm going to take up cloud-spotting...

Dave M

Thread: Controlling bow thruster and propulsion motor
19/09/2020 18:27:43

Either of these will do the job P115, P43

Dave M

Thread: Returning modeller
14/09/2020 12:00:24

Jim

This is the one I've been using for a long time now. You can download the manual to show you exactly what it will do. Established UK supplier, too! 4Max Budget Wattmeter

Dave M

Thread: Controlling bow thruster and propulsion motor
09/09/2020 15:15:28

Campbell

The usual set-up is to have the rudder on one stick and the bow-thruster on the other - both operated with a sideways movement. The MTroniks ESC has battery eliminator circuitry so you need to disconnect the red wire from the plug on ONE of the ESC's lead to the receiver. Leave the small switches on both of them ON, however.

Dave M

Thread: Machine Tools
28/08/2020 13:25:43

Dave

I've found that a pillar drill press has been invaluable. Mine is a cheapo Machine Mart 5-speed one but it does the job very well. While it's nice to have more elaborate and exotic toys in the workshop I reckon you must balance the benefits of a shiny new and expensive toy against the cost and likely use you'll get from it.

Dave M

Thread: A decent kit for a beginner
13/08/2020 17:45:26

Simon

Aziz is big and impressive with loads of scale detail and twin motors, all of which makes it less suitable for a beginner. Loyal is an older kit and the instructions can be a trifle baffling in places but I've never seen a badly-built one and Jackie White is always there to help if required.

Dave M

11/08/2020 19:22:04

If it's of any guidance to you then Lawrie White - half of Model Slipway - always said that the Loyal Class fleet tender is a good model for a beginner. It's a single screw and 1/24 scale, which makes the fittings quite large and easy to handle. It performs very well and to my mind looks very much the part on the water.

Dave M

Thread: 4 or 5 motors
09/08/2020 18:31:44
Posted by Paul T on 09/08/2020 15:35:34:

Q

Three 800s with 65mm props pushing a 5ft boat might draw more amps than you think, I would be looking at an Action Electronics P98 but I would certainly take advice from Dave M.

Paul

Sorry, Paul, but there comes a point when one suspects that it's not advice that's being sought - merely agreement or, in this case, submission?

Dave M

09/08/2020 15:00:50

A bit small, Doc. I'd be more inclined towards something like three of these Leopard motor

I think my opinion of MFA 800 motors is well-known by now.

Dave M

Thread: Adhesive
04/08/2020 11:47:45

If you go to this website and click on the Modelling Tips tab at the side then you'll be able to view and download a PDF which covers many aspects of making boats from GRP and styrene, Model Slipway

Many modellers use the term Marine Ply when they are actually using Birch Ply - and vice versa. The differences seem to be the absence of any voids in marine ply and its use of more laminations and/or harder wood veneers. The only way to answer you question would be to try it. I usually resort to bending the sheet gently in the steam from a kettle and holding it until cool. When replacing your plywood stocks don't buy from the DIY supermarkets - their stuff is more often than not useless for model boats. I buy mine from SLEC (link in RH column) and can recommend their products and service unreservedly.

Dave M

Edited By Dave Milbourn on 04/08/2020 11:49:31

Thread: Alignment tools
03/08/2020 11:16:12

Steve Tranter may be able to oblige Model Boat Bits

DM

Thread: Twin Brushless Set Up
28/07/2020 18:16:26
Posted by Paul T on 28/07/2020 16:45:38:

Nice advert for inflatables

Any particular brand, do you suppose? smile d

DM

28/07/2020 10:14:32

Presumably you mean a model-size version? If so, how big (L x W) and how many motors? Are you proposing to use a model outboard motor? At the moment we don't have enough detail to help you.

DM

Thread: How to measure what motor I need.
26/07/2020 12:09:33

If it's anything to go by then my Model Slipway 'Envoy' tug was just over a metre long. It was powered with a 6:1 geared MFA 500 brushed motor using a 12v supply. This gave approx 2500RPM to the 70mm diameter 4-blade cast bronze scale prop. Performance was sedate without being dull. A bulk-carrier would have no need for any sort of 'performance' - all they do is move slowly. Your proposed 1300kv motor will still produce over 9000 RPM on 7.2v and without gearing down would almost certainly be too fast for the size of prop needed for such a big heavy model.

If I were contemplating such a model then I'd be looking at something along the lines of an MFA 800 or 850 brushed motor with 2.1:1 reduction belt drive running on 12v.

Yes, Ashley - I know I'm not supposed to like MFA 850 motors but everything has its place somewhere!

Dave M

Thread: Clearing out sale
25/07/2020 14:27:39

Doc

Wouldn't be much of a ride-on if shifting two small kits and a receiver will make enough room for it. Grand-daughter Lucy and her boyfriend have just visited and left me a nice bottle of NZ Sauvignon Blanc {called "Ned"}; that has increased my wine stock by 33%.

Sorry if you need a new bumper but I don't seem to have one to fit a 1948 Humber Super Snipe. Have you tried the Imperial War Museum?

DM

Edited By Dave Milbourn on 25/07/2020 14:28:12

24/07/2020 17:07:56

Receiver and Crab Cutter kit also now sold, pending payment.

BTW the V3 ESC is the type I used in my smaller Fairey models e.g. Huntsman 31, Huntress 23 and Swordsman 33.

Dave M

24/07/2020 16:53:01

Graupner Pollux kit is now sold. I bought it to build for my grandson but then decided it's a bit vulnerable for a 7-year old, so I built him a SLEC Police Launch instead. The Rainbow purchase was probably an abberation. Much like my first wife, I must have fancied it/her for a reason which I've long since forgotten.

Paul

The MTB will be cleared out but its new owner has already paid for it. I won't tell you the price but it might just have bought one bottle of that fizz. £350 a glass?? Someone is 'avin' a larf.

Dave M

Edited By Dave Milbourn on 24/07/2020 17:10:14

24/07/2020 14:31:22

I'm working hard on both, Doc.

DM

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Boats? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Boats!

Support Our Partners
Nylet
Tony Green Steam
Shrek
Sarik
Restorers Wanted
Premier March
Pendle Boilers
Shopping Partners
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Pin us on Pinterest

Member Contributions
Distributors of Model Boats for our overseas readers
Highlights

Make sure you never miss out on the latest news, product reviews and competitions with our free RSS feed

Make your own contribution to the Website

We welcome well written contributions from Website members on almost any aspect of Model Boating with a particular emphasis on practical hints, tips, experience and builds.

In order to maintain a consistent standard and format, all suggestions should first be sent to me by Personal Message for approval in principle. Only a very limited amount of time is available for editing contributions into a suitable format for placing on the website so it is important that the material is well presented, lucid and free from obvious spelling errors. I think it goes without saying that contributions should be illustrated by appropriate photos. I shall be happy to give advice on this.

The Member Contribution area offers space for short informative mini articles which would not normally find a place in Model Boats magazine. It is an opportunity for Website Members to freely share their  expertise and experience but I am afraid that virtue is its own reward as there is no budget to offer more material recompense!

I look forward to receiving your suggestions.

Colin Bishop - Website Editor