By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Dave Milbourn

Here is a list of all the postings Dave Milbourn has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Philip Connolly
13/12/2019 08:46:49

My friend Scott Pett of the Fairey Owners Club has passed on this E-Mail from Phil's wife Maureen for me to convey to all who knew or knew of him. To me he is the definitive model Fairey Swordsman designer and was a very successful multi-racer in the 60s and 70s until he emigrated to Australia.

"It is with great sadness that I have to tell you that Philip died instantly from a massive heart attack on November 23rd. We are all still shocked and will miss him immensely, but at least he will not have to endure the devastating final stages of Parkinsons."

RIP, Phil.

Dave M

Thread: online shopping cheap,postage not
10/12/2019 11:43:23

It's a little like the inflated prices you pay for food and drink when on holiday [or in London....]. Once you realise that everyone's catering charges are OTT then the only choice is whether to eat and drink or not. That said, I did baulk at being charged £3.50 P&P a while ago by a well-known model supplier for a 20p padded envelope and a first class Large Letter stamp. It rather sours one's opinion of an otherwise excellent supplier.

I'd hesitate to involve a daily newspaper in a dispute over a relatively trivial amount but this website looks interesting Resolver

DM

Thread: wanted 2 ch rcv
06/12/2019 16:13:19

It's AM, Tom.

DM

05/12/2019 09:33:12

That's an 2-ch AM receiver for £8.50 on the Howes website buit it won't work if the Tx is FM. They do sell a genuine Futaba replacement for the R122JE but it's on 40mhZ AM Futaba receiver

It seems that 2-channel 27Mhz FM receivers are as rare as rocking horse pooh.

Dave M

Thread: Airbrush Kit
04/12/2019 20:59:54

Martin

FYI I painted both of the prototype Huntress 23s with Halfords aerosol car paints. I used an airbrush only for the finer details. I have a Badger 250 external mix one; a 4oz version of the same brush, and a 200 single-action internal mix job.

IMHO Banjoman is the reference for all such things. Read what he writes at least three times!

Dave M

Thread: Motors
04/12/2019 10:53:04

To be honest, neither the two original Perkasas nor the two Huntsman kits were intended for electric power. As Malcolm says, there were no suitable motors or batteries available at the time. It was also generally acceptable to sail I/C models on public park lakes - something which you very rarely find these days.

DM

03/12/2019 16:57:12

Barry

There's a limited amount of information on this forum, possibly because not many members have built one, but here's a link to all the relevant postings Perkasa threads

If you look on the Model Boat Mayhem forum you'll find a lot more references to it. I think there's also a dedicated Perkasa website. One thing I would stress is that whatever motor/s you choose it/they MUST be brushless. Few if any brushed motors have the necessary power to put this big and heavy model up on the plane where it should be. Also ignore sealed lead-acid batteries for much the same reasons.

Dave M

Thread: Sea Breeze - Vintage Model Boat Company
02/12/2019 19:56:31

Enough of this. The thread is about your Sea Breeze, so let's desist from the persiflage and get on with it!

DM

02/12/2019 11:39:41

30p??!! Do you think I'm made of money? wink

DM

02/12/2019 09:23:45

Yep - Dark Blue above the waterline and Red below, with a white Fineline boot-topping strip. There's precious little room under the engine cover for anything other than the motor, LiPo pack and ESC, so I'm afraid that a flashing blue light is not on the list. No doubt that if His Lordship decides that he wants one and/or a working spotlight then I shall have to rethink that!

DM

Edited By Dave Milbourn on 02/12/2019 09:24:27

01/12/2019 19:47:39

OK - 'hot off the press'. Don't say I didn't warn you!

I'm reminded of those movies/plays where you see the white-faced and balding old actor putting on his makeup in front of a mirror lit with 60W bulbs all round it..... It WILL look better when it's done - honest!

VMBCo Police Launch part-finished

Dave M

01/12/2019 18:12:48
Posted by Graham Ashby 1 on 01/12/2019 18:10:21:

I bet you've never bodged anything in yer life!

teeth 2

I'm on my second marriage, Graham......

DM

01/12/2019 17:21:23

Chaps

My own model of Police Launch has progressed almost to the painting stage so there wouldn't be a lot to learn from any subsequent pictures - except maybe the bodges I manage to cover up with paint! I'll take a few of the finished article if there's a demand for them.

I've not been taking any build photos because those in the instruction manual for Police Launch are so good - and because I didn't have to compile a brand new manual like I do with my Fairey designs. I'll ask SLEC if they might put downloads of the picture instructions for these models on their website.

Dave M

01/12/2019 14:49:51
Posted by Graham Ashby 1 on 01/12/2019 13:34:00:

I can imagine Dave. The old Sea Breeze is pretty weighty. Is that a problem though?

Only by finishing it and throwing it into the 'oggin will you answer that one! My take is that if little James manages to ram the side of the pond at full-speed with his Police Launch then the pondside will probably come off worse.

DM

01/12/2019 12:58:26

Graham

You'll quckly notice the difference between the two SLEC-made kits. Being marine ply the VMBCo Police Launch is as heavy as a brick while the Huntsman is Liteply and less than half the weight for much the same size.

DM

01/12/2019 11:18:11
Posted by Graham Ashby 1 on 01/12/2019 09:40:25:

Dave, that Swordsman is utterly lovely, as expected. Very inspirational. Any shots on the water?

Grandson is a VERY lucky lad. How do we get onto your 'Friends & Family VMBC Gift List'? Hee hee.

I'd don't think I can ever forsake The Faith. It's in me... along with aeroplane (of course).

Lovey to hear from you.

Graham

There's a rather arty slo-mo video taken by Martin 'Mayhem' Davis on You Tube here Swordsman at Wicksteed 2019

If you look carefully you'll also glimpse Colin Bishop's Huntman. I'm very much looking forward to seeing the Sea Breeze finshed.

Dave M

30/11/2019 18:13:27

Graham

Here's my own offering of the Swordsman (there are actually two models on this album). Fairey Swordsman at 1/16 scale

Good to see you haven't forsaken The One True Faith!

I'm currently building a VMBCo Police Launch for Grandson #4 - it's going together very well indeed.

Dave M

Edited By Dave Milbourn on 30/11/2019 18:15:20

Thread: sealing hull
24/11/2019 10:08:08

This will help answer most of you questions Finishing wooden hulls

Dave M

Thread: superplan pilot40
22/11/2019 19:10:03

Not a huge surprise these days, Ray. Another name added to my list...

Dave M

Thread: Prop shaft
21/11/2019 20:54:10

Ray

This was my last bike...Twist-grip 3-speed Sturmey Archer gears, contoured Brookes saddle et al. It disappeared while I was away at University in the very early 70s.

raleigh trent fr 1957 catal.jpg

I'm also well-lubricated, although not with 3-in-1. More Old #7 Sour Mash. We live and learn.

DM

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Boats? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Boats!

Support Our Partners
Pendle Boilers
Premier Thursday
Shrek
Meridienne Dec 6th
PremierJuly 2019
Premier March
JSB MODELS
Sarik
Shopping Partners
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Pin us on Pinterest

Member Contributions
Distributors of Model Boats for our overseas readers
Highlights

Make sure you never miss out on the latest news, product reviews and competitions with our free RSS feed

Make your own contribution to the Website

We welcome well written contributions from Website members on almost any aspect of Model Boating with a particular emphasis on practical hints, tips, experience and builds.

In order to maintain a consistent standard and format, all suggestions should first be sent to me by Personal Message for approval in principle. Only a very limited amount of time is available for editing contributions into a suitable format for placing on the website so it is important that the material is well presented, lucid and free from obvious spelling errors. I think it goes without saying that contributions should be illustrated by appropriate photos. I shall be happy to give advice on this.

The Member Contribution area offers space for short informative mini articles which would not normally find a place in Model Boats magazine. It is an opportunity for Website Members to freely share their  expertise and experience but I am afraid that virtue is its own reward as there is no budget to offer more material recompense!

I look forward to receiving your suggestions.

Colin Bishop - Website Editor