By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Ray Wood 2

Here is a list of all the postings Ray Wood 2 has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Todays Boating
25/09/2021 10:53:47

Hi Ashley,

These new Warships are a modellers dream ! they are to bland and would be a relatively simple build and with the pick & mix superstructure options, the hull designed by computer must be the perfect shape.

They must rely upon the radar controlled guns to protect themselves I hope

Regards Ray

Thread: Bristol Channel Pilot Cutter
23/09/2021 09:29:07

Hello Dave,

The cutter is looking in good shape now, have you decided what materials to plank with ?? I would use block balsa at the bow and stern , which is a lot less stress full trying the cut the planks to the exact length to fit the stem.

How's the sports car progressing ??

Regards Ray

Thread: Model Boats - Classified Adverts
21/09/2021 12:23:51

Hi Richard,

I suppose speaking to somebody initially gives you a chance to decide if you want to give them the address of your front door

Regards Ray

21/09/2021 12:11:17

Hi All,

Yes history of the magazine includes Free Add's which was back then the only way to get in touch, but I still find the phone as an initial contact method the best way to judge the seller, normally a 5 minute chat allows you to compare notes etc, a vetting process if you like which you don't get electronically.

I don't much care for the the electronic age although I have made many friends on the forum very few of them I have ever spoken too !!

Peter is correct the use of computers is far less common among the older generation than is commonly thought who had real jobs not computer jockies like me for the last 30 years and I float much more than I fly RC these days.

The Free Add's are the most interesting section changing every month, not as predictable as the content in many ways.

RCM& E is the other title I buy still has free add's

Regards Ray

21/09/2021 11:11:00

Hi All,

I still like the face to face seen as sold method My experience with ebay via my daughter was selling a Hornby Rocket 3 1/2" gauge set was the buyer then comes back wanting money off for every damn thing on something 40 years old (lesson learned)

Covid unfortunately will be the excuse for reducing services and not re-introducing them for reasons of costs

Regards Ray

21/09/2021 09:54:02

Hi Richard,

I wouldn't use ebay because all sorts of folk use it, I like the idea of enthusiasts being able to reply rather than somebody trying to make a quick few Pounds or Euros. also location is important to buyer and seller as model boats are not easy to transport.

I think it would bring extra interest to the magazine + circulation ??

Regards Ray

21/09/2021 09:04:57

Hi All,

What are peoples views on asking for the Free Classified Adds being brought back into the magazine. I for one have bought and sold many things via this medium. It maybe a surprise to hear I'm not an ebay person !! or maybe not

I thought we may let the editor know via the Boss (Colin) that now Covid is mainly behind us oldies it would bring another reason for people to buy the magazine.

And I have 25 boats I don't know what to do with

Regards Ray

Thread: How Big is your Club Lake?
20/09/2021 14:30:56

Hi Lee,

Your best bet would be Bewl Water reservoir in Lamberhurst Kent, my mate Tony Nijhuis was able get permission to fly his 14 ft span electric Spruce Goose from there some years back and I think 3 miles long early morning maybe before the wild life gets on the water ? Of course you couldn't see it, but this doesn't seem to be an issue ?

Regards Ray

20/09/2021 12:28:28

Hi Lee,

Chris makes a very valid point about eyesight, most boats have to make some sort of circuit to stay within sight, unless you can get a fast chase boat? rather like the OMRA boys do for offshore racing.

My local club Cygnets at Maidstone have a go fast electric and IC powered section who meet on saturday mornings at Mote Park, maybe worth a visit.

Regards Ray

Thread: MV Stability (1949) - F T Everard & Sons
20/09/2021 08:21:22

Hi Richard

It's actually all red oxide, but the flash makes it look orange

Your steam launch is looking great ! but the crew don't look too happy !!

Regards Ray

19/09/2021 17:58:00

Hi All,

Progress on Stability has been slow in the paint shop but we are getting there now, plenty of advice from members of the Facebook group for F T Everard & Sons from folk who had the pleasure? of working aboard the fleet over the years The colours are not as bright as the photo appears !!

Regards Rayst19.jpg

Thread: Aeronaut pilot boat
19/09/2021 17:53:06

Hello Phil,

I would try hot water to soften the plastic, just enough to allow it to become pliable and let it cool off insitu on the hull framework, hopefully it will re-harden with the required curve

Regards Ray

Thread: Motor advice
17/09/2021 09:28:52

Hi All,

I think there is a major danger of overpowering this tug, the fullsize has massive props for towing ships, and if you consider the 2 X 50mm props are already half the beam of the boat of 200mm, forget 12volts she will try to leap out of the water ! This is based upon my recently completed Oldenburg which is the same length and beam and will try and fly on 2 X 385 motors and 30mm props on 7.2 voltsob1.jpg.

Because this is an ocean going tug her proportions are vastly different to our normal river and harbour tugs she is not a heavy displacement hull really.

Kort nozzles will be massively effective for steering, I wouldn't bother with tank steering it makes it expensive, but it's a personnel choice

Regards Ray

16/09/2021 14:31:11

Hi Dragos,

Welcome to the forum, opinions will vary, but I think you would need the next size larger 600 - 850 to drive your4 bladed 50mm propeller, assuming your tug has a heavy displacement, with a 40 amp ESC should do the job

Regards Ray

Edited By Ray Wood 2 on 16/09/2021 14:31:39

Thread: Sea Queen
15/09/2021 08:14:57

Hi Hayden,

I think I sent a pdf of the plan to Harry smith 1 some years ago, maybe worth a PM to him ?

You will need to draft your own bulkheads as they are not on the plan.

This is the original Aerokits drawing, I no longer have access to a large scanner

Regards Raysea queen dec 17 002.jpg

Edited By Ray Wood 2 on 15/09/2021 08:17:10

Thread: Todays Boating
14/09/2021 16:23:39

Hi Ashley,

Must be like the sounds we get from our Alexa so small and such a good sound, she has obviously been planted by MI5 to spy on us and my list of future models to build

Regards Ray

14/09/2021 10:40:43

Hi Ashley,

What did you use for the sound system ? She looks great

Regards Ray

Thread: Model Railways
13/09/2021 12:05:07

Hi All,

As we live in Kent and being called the Garden of England (by some) this is my garden railway Hercules at Dungeness station of the Romney, Hythe & Dymchurch Railways, some advantages to nothercules 100921.jpg working on Fridays now

I have loved this railway as long as I can remember as we had holidays at Greatstone back in the 60's and fortunately my grandchildren live close to the line !!

Regards Ray

Thread: The Cigarette
12/09/2021 17:56:29

Hi Jeff,

I really cound'nt have called the Cigarette free plan in MB's my design if I had simply re-scaled somebody else's drawing in another publication ??

The side and plan views were sourced from the internet of the fullsize boat and scaled up to 26" long for 600 power but the sections/bulkheads shapes are my interpretation of the real Cary 32, I managed to get a reasonable drawing of the transom and outdrivescigarette planing.jpg so I knew I wasn't far out

Regards Ray

Thread: Returning modeller
10/09/2021 07:15:24

Hi Jim,

Now you can see why Lever arm sail control servos are so popular (with me at least)

Never needed a servo tester, I have many receivers for testing servos ! If it doesn't work I bin it and move on

If and when the servo is tested and found to be faulty you will bin it anyway

Regards Ray

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Boats? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Boats!

Support Our Partners
Restorers Wanted
SLEC
Coastal Shipping August 2021
Premier March
Sarik
Nylet
Pendle Boilers
Shopping Partners
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Pin us on Pinterest

Member Contributions
Distributors of Model Boats for our overseas readers
Highlights

Make sure you never miss out on the latest news, product reviews and competitions with our free RSS feed

Make your own contribution to the Website

We welcome well written contributions from Website members on almost any aspect of Model Boating with a particular emphasis on practical hints, tips, experience and builds.

In order to maintain a consistent standard and format, all suggestions should first be sent to me by Personal Message for approval in principle. Only a very limited amount of time is available for editing contributions into a suitable format for placing on the website so it is important that the material is well presented, lucid and free from obvious spelling errors. I think it goes without saying that contributions should be illustrated by appropriate photos. I shall be happy to give advice on this.

The Member Contribution area offers space for short informative mini articles which would not normally find a place in Model Boats magazine. It is an opportunity for Website Members to freely share their  expertise and experience but I am afraid that virtue is its own reward as there is no budget to offer more material recompense!

I look forward to receiving your suggestions.

Colin Bishop - Website Editor