By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Ray Wood 2

Here is a list of all the postings Ray Wood 2 has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: MV Oldenburg 1/48th scale
22/01/2021 12:37:36

old & others.jpgHi All,

The shipyard is getting rather congested these days, HMS Cossack on the top shelf has her radio fitted and ready to go, Oldenburg creeping along with the stanchions and handrails, some rigging and a RIB for the rear deck. With her skipper looking !!

Regards Rayold capt rib.jpg

Thread: M.V. Sea Nass
22/01/2021 12:31:45

Hi Dave,

Can't see any reason to use 12 volts, 6 volt SLA battery for ballast and slogging power will be fine, you don't want your props sitting in the water creating froth/cavitating ? Still you have a way to go before that's an issue

Regards Ray

Thread: KeilKraft Mermaid
22/01/2021 09:26:49

Hi Carl,

The interesting part of the youtube video is the boat is fitted with spray rails along the chine line which helps lift the bow out of the water, these little boats were never envisaged to actually get up and plane with tiny motors and Ever ready torch batteries. Ashley is spot on with the motor size I always use 4mm shafts even on the little boats.

Regards Ray

Thread: Cheaper power pack/vac
21/01/2021 13:04:37

Hi Chris,

Yes I bought a couple for a rainy day and one for my old mum 88 she loves it they are a nice product and very handy around the workshop, If I get desperate for a motor & battery I will strip one down.

Regards Ray

Thread: Fisher 34 motorsailer
21/01/2021 10:52:51

Hi George,

Fullsize practice must be to have an aluminium tube round the forestay to which the sail must be attached and a roller drum at the base with a line and a swivel at the top, which is feasible. My only concern is how you would keep the tension on the sheet as you furl the sail, tricky I should say ? what material and thickness are your sails going to be made from ?

Regards Ray

Thread: Criteria for boat servos
20/01/2021 15:37:38

Hi Jeff,

If you could post a picture of the space available in the hull we could give better advice, If good folk have advised you so far what are their views ? the sail control only needs a standard servo with a longer arm fitted, are you sheeting the jib & main ? the best parallel I have is the Micro Magic yacht which roughly similar in size. I assume you have the keel weighted for stability ?

Regards Ray

Thread: Kit or Plan ?
20/01/2021 09:31:11

Hi Dave,

I have the Radio Modeller build article which I bought when I was 16

There are no build pictures as such but useful anyway, an interesting sketch of a screw driven sail control device, back then there weren't any sail winches, I was always happy if you just had steering then !!

If you build the boat I'll send you a photocopy.chez when article.jpg

Regards Ray

19/01/2021 16:07:40

Hi Dave,

I take the view the next boat will be the really good one, well that's my excuse

My Oldenburg running gear was bought from my local boat shop in Chatham Dockyard alas closed at the moment.

I'm sure Cornwall Model Boats can sort you out mail order

The stern tubes were JP Accessories 10" M4

Propellers are Raboesch 30mm 3 blade brass left & right hand

Make sure your sitting down when you look at the price !!

With 2 motors you won't need a lot of horsepower I'd use a pair of 385's or 400 brushed, as she is relatively long she will be easily driven in my view. My 20" TID tug with a 30mm prop & 400 moved a 14' tanker

Regards Ray

19/01/2021 14:52:20

Hi Dave,

That's is mighty impressive, I like the twin skegs at the stern are you going to have to notch all the bulkheads for some stringers to take the skins ?? I find it makes life easier to extend the bulkheads an inch or so to raise the whole job up for access and cut them off later.

Regards Ray

Thread: Kit or Plan ?
19/01/2021 11:48:10

Hi Dave,

The plan for Chez When a model of the Silhouette a 17ft single chine sailing cruiser, the model is 34" long ply construction, I have it on my to build list. It was published in Radio Modeller in December 1971.

My estimate would be £50 for the ply ? Sails say £70 from Nylet ?

The plan is available from SARIK

Regards Ray

Thread: Returning modeller
19/01/2021 10:42:33

Hi Jim,

Ask 10 people on here and you will most likely 10 different answers some negative & some positive I like the motor to be flexibly mounted as I find the Huco type couplings may not be 100% concentric, I mount the motor on a simple cradle sometimes balsa with single sided wing seat tape and have a simple elastic band over the top, quick to change, It works for me, the fullsize boat engines are on rubber mounts

Here are White Marlins twin brushed 480's during winter maintenance.

Regards Raywm motors jan 21.jpg

Thread: MV Oldenburg 1/48th scale
15/01/2021 15:29:08

Hi All,

She's back in the water this weekoldenburg at sea jan 2021.jpg and heading down the Bristol Channel to her home port of Bideford after her winter refit, she is owned and operated by the Landmark Trust, murky picture which gives you a feel for the conditions, thanks to Chris Blackmore for the photo.

Regards Ray

Thread: Returning modeller
15/01/2021 15:09:59

Hi Jim,

If you use one piece for each side of the hull and work from the keel you brush the bubbles out as you go, or you can blow the hull over with spray mount glue and lay the cloth on to fix it lightly, the cloth is very capable of following the compound curves on the hull

I'd do the transom last with a separate piece.

Regards Ray

Edited By Ray Wood 2 on 15/01/2021 15:19:29

14/01/2021 15:31:32

Hi Dave,

With computer skills like yours you should consider doing a drawing and sell kits of parts, although I'm on the computer all day I can't do that !! it's the old pencil, paper and flexy curve for me

Trying to think of something different to build after Oldenburg.

Regards Ray

Thread: Fairey Swordsman 33
14/01/2021 12:10:39

Hi Chris,

Lovely work as usual, good building weather

I just PM'd you

Regards Ray

Thread: Fisher 34 motorsailer
14/01/2021 08:51:33

Hi George,

I like to keep things as simple as possible, no night sailing for me, no lights required, my Oldenburg is what I call stand off scale so no window openings, just black Fablon cut out and stuck on

Good luck with the mast stepping , are you using stainless plastic coated fishing trace for the standing rigging ? I think it's brilliant stuff no danger of it stretching..

Regards Ray

12/01/2021 18:04:35

Hi Dave,

One can live without lots of things, but a lathe is not one of them

Regards Ray

12/01/2021 16:19:19

Hi Dave,

My 20" TID tug made of balsa to Vic Smeeds design enlarged slighty is the same sort of hull shape as your ship and took 4.5 lbs of steel plate ballast to achieve the scale waterline.

Somebody technically minded could probably work out the displacement, not me I put it in the bath

This picture reminds me what we are missing !!

Regards Raytugs bw 020717 001.jpg

Thread: Free to good home - Model Thames Sailing Barge
12/01/2021 16:10:24

Hi Anne,

Are there any Maritime Heritage Museums in Northern Ireland who would be glad to put it on display ?

I have passed on various old family railway artifacts to preserved railways, saves my kids putting them in the skip !!

Kind Regards

Ray

12/01/2021 10:28:31

Hi All,

Sounds like a challenge, but I would use the 2 pint plastic milk bottles filled at the lake, I imagine you will have 2 fair sized holds either side of that massive crane.

The hull doesn't actually look that deep on your drawing and loses some displacement with the chine design versus tradition round bilge design, rather like a TID tug.

Many of the guys in my club use the lake water for ballast and put it back when you have finished boating.

Too simple??

Regards Ray

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Boats? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Boats!

Support Our Partners
Tony Green Steam
Restorers Wanted
Shrek
Premier March
Sarik
Nylet
Pendle Boilers
Shopping Partners
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Pin us on Pinterest

Member Contributions
Distributors of Model Boats for our overseas readers
Highlights

Make sure you never miss out on the latest news, product reviews and competitions with our free RSS feed

Make your own contribution to the Website

We welcome well written contributions from Website members on almost any aspect of Model Boating with a particular emphasis on practical hints, tips, experience and builds.

In order to maintain a consistent standard and format, all suggestions should first be sent to me by Personal Message for approval in principle. Only a very limited amount of time is available for editing contributions into a suitable format for placing on the website so it is important that the material is well presented, lucid and free from obvious spelling errors. I think it goes without saying that contributions should be illustrated by appropriate photos. I shall be happy to give advice on this.

The Member Contribution area offers space for short informative mini articles which would not normally find a place in Model Boats magazine. It is an opportunity for Website Members to freely share their  expertise and experience but I am afraid that virtue is its own reward as there is no budget to offer more material recompense!

I look forward to receiving your suggestions.

Colin Bishop - Website Editor