By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Ray Wood 2

Here is a list of all the postings Ray Wood 2 has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Mamod marine engine
14/12/2018 18:24:55

Hi Richard

Thanks for your reply, I will look forward to reading the regulations in the January issue , these only apply to boating in a public places for third party liability , I steam my locomotives in the garden quite happily 😊

Regards Ray

Thread: Spanish Fishing Boat Designed by JP
13/12/2018 21:31:18

Hi Eddie,

4 x boats, 2 x rc aeroplanes, 2 x 5" gauge steam locos, not all at once . Are you still thinking about another barge ?

Regards Ray

11/12/2018 14:30:17

Hi All,

My fishing boat build is progressing slowly, my wife was more interested in me finishing the bathroom than finishing her boat for the lounge! but it will be nice to have a new boat in the water in 2019 Slight distraction in the back ground Hurricane

Regards Raysfb dec 18.jpg

Thread: Fairey 23 River Cruiser
10/12/2018 19:12:25

Hi Chris,

Look on the brightside, when they are finished they will probably be worth half as much as you spent 😁

But seriously this size of hull for electric power could be Depron sheet glass clothes for a fraction of the cost, Aerokits were 1/16" ply because of diesel or glow powered requiring plenty of strength .

Regards Ray

Thread: HMS Belfast
09/12/2018 22:09:28

Hi All,

Very interesting history of the ship, must crack on with her build at 1/96th scale, 2 years ??

Regards Rayhms belfast 091115 013.jpg

Thread: Mamod marine engine
08/12/2018 21:27:02

Thanks Tony,

I am into model engineering and have built several live steamers 5" gauge but I wondered if there was a waiver for such small boilers operating at maybe 15 lbs per square inch and a very small quantities of water as they are commercially available, maybe certification is a little OTT ?

Regards Ray

08/12/2018 17:53:09

Hi All,

Do clubs insist on a boiler test certificates for these little boilers, which been used by children for years? I

I did have the Mamod marine unit years ago, but it had very little power to move a boat big enough to support it.

big enough

Regards

Thread: White Marlin
08/12/2018 17:44:32

Hi Eddie,

I have been to most of the model shops in Kent for old stock where I can, where do you get your craftsman paint from ? Humbrol has been the backbone of my model painting for ever !!

Regards Ray

07/12/2018 16:17:10

Hi All,

Some progress, I have sprayed the hull with grey primer to show up all the bad joints etc so P38 filler applied and rubbed down, twin exhausts turned from brass on the lathe, the chrome foil covered cardboard window frames look ok and they didn't cost anything just 5 hours to makewm dec 18.jpg. masking again next and white basecoat on the topsides before I mask the waterline and paint with Humbrol enamel (the large tins are becoming hard to get hold of I find ) looking forward to deck fittings and cockpit details the light strip across the back of the cabin is walnut but was too light, but too lazy to change it.

Regards Ray

Thread: Thames Sailing Barge Stuff
06/12/2018 16:12:34

Hi Eddie,

As your progressing so fast, here are some nice details on one of Peter Simmonds barges oars, quant and ladder, which at the time it was taken Easter 2015 was being sold to the skipper of the full size Cambria.

Regards Rayeaster 2015 012.jpg

Thread: North Kent and S.E. London
06/12/2018 11:16:03

Hi David,

You will definitely see me next year at your lake, I still have fond memories of cycling over from Swanley to float my latest creation, that was only 50 years ago happy days

Regards Ray

Thread: HMS Belfast
04/12/2018 19:41:00

hms belfast 091115 095.jpgHi All unfortunately I don't think the guns will train that low, but well  worth a try hms belfast 091115 016.jpg

Edited By Ray Wood 2 on 04/12/2018 19:41:59

04/12/2018 16:05:50

Hi Eddie,

Cripes you do get a move on don't you! anyway always good to have another project on the go keeps you fresh

They are both looking very good indeed.

Regards Ray

Thread: Dab Chick rudder
04/12/2018 16:02:07

Hi Noel,

I think the problem with your power boat rudder will be when she heels over in the wind there won't be much blade left in the water, and the small blade size movement required to turn will be like putting on the brakes. Just a thought keep going anyway

Regards Ray

02/12/2018 18:25:48

Hi Noel,

Your second picture/position looks right to me as your rudder is relatively short

Regards Ray

02/12/2018 18:20:50

Hi Tom,

We can't let a barge go sailing without ship's dog congratulations on your new crew member, your new barge is looking great.

Kind regards from the uk

Ray

Thread: Resin or not to resin, that is the question?
30/11/2018 16:35:40

Hi Chris,

Managed 63 years on the planet and never used aliphatic glue! I'm a fan of Gorilla wood glue water resistant, cheap in Wilkinson's, you only need to varnish the inside of a ply boat really Ronseal does the job. I bow to Dave as he has built loads of Fairy's but I'd glue the spray rails on the ply hull then West resin the whole thing.

Regards Ray

Thread: Deleon models
29/11/2018 21:53:07

Hi All,

Depron is so cheap compared with ply it's worth having a go, the RC boys are using V I T R E X underlay from DIY stores 19nr 5 mm sheets 600mm X 858mm X 19 sheets for around £18 UHU POR glue or epoxy, that's cost effective ?

Glass cloth and very strong

Regards Ray

Depron Sea Queen anybody ?

Edited By Ray Wood 2 on 29/11/2018 21:56:30

Thread: Resin or not to resin, that is the question?
29/11/2018 13:50:08

Hi Chris,

I'd say not worth the bother , the water should be on the outside, and it's sealed so you'll never know

Regards Ray

Thread: Fairey 23 River Cruiser
28/11/2018 16:37:17

Hi Eddie,

Yes that's my part built Sea Queen 46" long is big, but only floated it twice and sold it, but may scratch build another one from the drawings and SLEC cheap cross-grained ply

Regards Ray

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Boats? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Boats!

Support Our Partners
Premier March
Shrek
Premier Thursday
Pendle Boilers
Meridienne Nov 18
Sarik
JSB MODELS
Shopping Partners
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Pin us on Pinterest

Member Contributions
Distributors of Model Boats for our overseas readers
Highlights

Make sure you never miss out on the latest news, product reviews and competitions with our free RSS feed

Make your own contribution to the Website

We welcome well written contributions from Website members on almost any aspect of Model Boating with a particular emphasis on practical hints, tips, experience and builds.

In order to maintain a consistent standard and format, all suggestions should first be sent to me by Personal Message for approval in principle. Only a very limited amount of time is available for editing contributions into a suitable format for placing on the website so it is important that the material is well presented, lucid and free from obvious spelling errors. I think it goes without saying that contributions should be illustrated by appropriate photos. I shall be happy to give advice on this.

The Member Contribution area offers space for short informative mini articles which would not normally find a place in Model Boats magazine. It is an opportunity for Website Members to freely share their  expertise and experience but I am afraid that virtue is its own reward as there is no budget to offer more material recompense!

I look forward to receiving your suggestions.

Colin Bishop - Website Editor