By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Ray Wood 2

Here is a list of all the postings Ray Wood 2 has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Paint for Riva Aquarama Deck Cushions
21/02/2019 18:30:45

Hi Keith,

I would use a Matt Humbrol enamel, or emulsion paint, the test pots are quite cheap. Satin clear varnish over that if you need a sheen finish.

Regards Ray

Thread: White Marlin
18/02/2019 19:46:31

Hi All,

Lots of fittings to produce to finish her now so my strategy is work from the bow to the stern, it's working so far 😀

Regards Raywmwinchfeb19.jpg

Thread: Build the Bismarck
17/02/2019 23:18:03

Thanks for that Dave,

Not many sober thoughts here 😊 well it is Sunday night and work tomorrow !!! Hick

Regards Ray

Thread: Galileo - A resurrection
17/02/2019 23:12:44

Hi Tim,

If I post glider pictures on here maybe shot at dawn 😯 may put a build thread on the dark side ! It's Raven by Jack Headley,design a bit of a classic Polyhedral 84" span job 😁

regards Ray

17/02/2019 22:10:47

Hi Tim

Looks like a wet room will never be any good for us model boat builders ???

My slope soarer wings are coming on a treat 😀

Regards Ray

Edited By Ray Wood 2 on 17/02/2019 22:11:35

Thread: Build the Bismarck
17/02/2019 19:09:50

Hi All,

Let's not forget this is a commercial enterprise, pure and simple, nothing really to do with our hobby in the slightest.

Regards Ray

17/02/2019 17:52:59

Hi all,

I wish my hobbies only cost me £10 per week , if it's 1 issue a week still cheaper! Wanting the end product is another question ? Comparison with the cost of beer these days, 3 pints a week Ooops 😀

Regards Ray

17/02/2019 08:21:10

Hi Tim,

Bad luck ! I have found some spare prints of the Wild Duck drawings 😀 PM me your address & I will post them to you, off to Rye Harbour this morning to blow away the cobwebs 😯

Regards Ray

16/02/2019 20:26:32

Hi Tim,

Yes the YM designs are good looking craft, next sailing cruiser maybe the Eventide at 26' my uncle bought the book building chine boats 1963 12s & 6 pence great source of drawings 😀 I will see if I have prints of the Wild Duck drawings she has a detachable fin keel and looks good on scale cradle.

Regards Raywd34.jpg

Edited By Ray Wood 2 on 16/02/2019 20:27:28

Thread: Help with keel weight
16/02/2019 10:32:43

Hi All,

Even with the lead shot mixed in beware of the heat generated by the chemical reaction in that volume of resin !! Could easily damage the hull .?? I speak with some bad experiences, I'd put the shot into the keel void and cap it of with a P38 layer, then maybe glass cloth and resin over that ?

Regards Ray

16/02/2019 07:23:26

Hi Richard,

As has been said already, making the ballast removable is not practical or feasible once you have a deck in place and the rigs above, I would buy a trolley for moving the boat

Regards Ray

15/02/2019 21:40:33

Hi Tim,

That's a shame I had thought you were building her as the opening photo of the thread, but you know what you want to create, I like to save an old designs for posterity like my Yachting Monthly Wild Duck at a massive 22" long 😃 ,

Regards Raywd48.jpg

15/02/2019 18:09:25

Hi Tim,

How is the superstructure going to look ? Will she have a cabin & cockpit ? You look like you have the mechanical department well sorted 😁

Lovely blue sky day here.

Regards Ray

Thread: Riva Aquarama Windscreen
14/02/2019 22:06:40

Hi All,

My choice of canopy glue is Formula 560 by Pacer, proclaims on the bottle to be "The world's best" !! So it must be true ?? I have found it pretty good and dries clear 😃,

Used on my H31 windows same stuff Tim uses.h31 cockpit.jpg

Regards Ray

Edited By Ray Wood 2 on 14/02/2019 22:08:39

Thread: Thames Sailing Barge Stuff
12/02/2019 22:26:42

Hi Tom

I have changed my job again, will PM my new email address to you 😀

Regards from the uk

Ray

12/02/2019 17:27:32

Hi Eddie,

Thanks for your kind comments on sfb thread , is the Cambria drawing one of Richard Chesney's ? He was working on a drawing for Tiny Mite a barge yacht, when you see it you will want to build one 😀

Regards Ray

Thread: Spanish Fishing Boat Designed by JP
11/02/2019 19:12:39

Hi All,

The indoor test tank used over the weekend, with 2 sub C 6 cell battery packs in the bilges, it took another 2 1/2 lbs of lead to get her down on her marks.

Needs a crew & some nets etc

Regards Raysfb feb 19.jpg

Thread: Building the topsail schooner Julia
10/02/2019 16:12:11

Hi Bob, great work as always, is there a model ship building forum which caters for static ship building of the type you do, we couldn't and wouldn't call your work model boats ??

Regards Ray

Thread: Tasmanian Wooden Boat Festival 2019
10/02/2019 12:24:02

Hi Harry,

All those outboard motors took me back to my dad's first one, a British Anzani 5hp it was never that keen on running, and when going down the Thames at 5 knots on the tide how we wished it had a recoil started ! It didn't and frantic winding of a line round the pulley for us to try and escape the line whipping us behind him with the end 😃

Happy days when it fired, and we got back to Erith Yacht Club

Regards Ray

Edited By Ray Wood 2 on 10/02/2019 12:26:17

Thread: Thames Sailing Barge Stuff
09/02/2019 20:12:46

As Tim says once I'm afloat will start start digging the tunnel

But living in paradise what's to escape from ??

Regards Ray, with a cold one in my hand

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Boats? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Boats!

Support Our Partners
Premier March
Pendle Boilers
Premier Thursday
Shrek
JSB MODELS
Sarik
Shopping Partners
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Pin us on Pinterest

Member Contributions
Distributors of Model Boats for our overseas readers
Highlights

Make sure you never miss out on the latest news, product reviews and competitions with our free RSS feed

Make your own contribution to the Website

We welcome well written contributions from Website members on almost any aspect of Model Boating with a particular emphasis on practical hints, tips, experience and builds.

In order to maintain a consistent standard and format, all suggestions should first be sent to me by Personal Message for approval in principle. Only a very limited amount of time is available for editing contributions into a suitable format for placing on the website so it is important that the material is well presented, lucid and free from obvious spelling errors. I think it goes without saying that contributions should be illustrated by appropriate photos. I shall be happy to give advice on this.

The Member Contribution area offers space for short informative mini articles which would not normally find a place in Model Boats magazine. It is an opportunity for Website Members to freely share their  expertise and experience but I am afraid that virtue is its own reward as there is no budget to offer more material recompense!

I look forward to receiving your suggestions.

Colin Bishop - Website Editor