By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Ray Wood 2

Here is a list of all the postings Ray Wood 2 has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: A Tug of two halfs
23/05/2019 21:39:59

Hi Roger,

Racing gives you a reason to be out there and is good fun, you will need some practice for when you finish Veronica.

Although I like building motor boats/ships/tugs they are fairly boring to run compared to sailing 😀

Regards Ray

Old CD cases make good window material 😉

Edited By Ray Wood 2 on 23/05/2019 21:43:10

23/05/2019 20:36:51

Hi Roger,

Victoria's are popular for a bit of fun, I also rate my little Micro Magic, handy size to keep in the car, we are Barge racing this weekend at Mote Park Maidstone 😀

Holiday coming up so tidying the workshop !

I hope your going to glaze you captains wheelhouse ?

Regards Ray

Thread: ESC Problem
22/05/2019 09:15:06

Hi David,

Those are really tiny props for 600 size motors, I find a 400 size motor turns a 30mm 3 blade with ease, is there room for 35-40mm props on the model ??

They have no load and are over-revving ??

12 volts is high , I've never used more than 7.2v

Regards Ray

Edited By Ray Wood 2 on 22/05/2019 09:16:03

Edited By Ray Wood 2 on 22/05/2019 09:19:18

Thread: RC Laser
21/05/2019 20:47:59

Hi Charlie

I have sent you a PM

Regards Ray

Thread: Thames Sailing Barge Stuff
20/05/2019 19:20:04

Hello Tom,

Well done for Gusty Cat she looks good and fast 😀 are you using nylon sail material ? We have to use cotton here for the racing. This weekend is AMBO racing in my home town of Maidstone on Sunday, although it clashes with the F1 Grand Prix at Monaco, I'll be watching it later.Regards

The fin looks in the right place to me.

Regards Ray

18/05/2019 20:43:21

Thanks Roger,

Of course your right 😠

Good luck with Veronica she will be a rewarding build.

Did Simplex go ?

Regards Ray (Belfast) Wood

18/05/2019 16:30:36

Hi Roger,

Just a few considerations to consider :-

May take 5 years

Too long for my current car

Having spent £300 on bits

What do you do with it

Where do I keep it

So having agreed it's a total waste of time, I will follow your instruction and start cutting the bulkhead 😀

Just have a cat & aeroplane to finish first

Regards Ray

17/05/2019 22:36:56

Hi Roger,

No I'm a lost cause 😀 just need to start something big soon to take longer, HMS Belfast may be the answer 6' 4" at 1 /96th scale I have the drawings !

Regards Ray

17/05/2019 22:12:38

Hi Roger/Eddie

Yes once the momentum kicks in it's easy to knock the boats out at a fast rate, having completed 30 boats in 6 years, I'm now selling 6 at my local boat shop at Chatham Dockyard, I must slow down a bit but everything is at 120% for me 😃

Regards Ray

Thread: RC Laser
16/05/2019 21:07:21

Hi Charlie,

I'm afraid it has gone now.

Regards Ray

Thread: building materials
15/05/2019 21:26:08

Hi Chris,

You can turn and tap the boss 5mm and cut the slots for the blades and silver solder them and bend the blades to shape, or cheat like I did buying this one !!!

Regards Raycullamix prop & rudder 002.jpg

Thread: Cheap cordless drill
15/05/2019 17:14:08

Tim,

Paul has one for each hand and the other 2 for the countersinks😀

Regards Ray

Thread: Thames Sailing Barge Stuff
14/05/2019 21:25:42

Hi Eddie,

Herne Bay is one of my favourite lakes when the sea breeze comes up 😀 good racing, 1st September match this year 😊

Regards Ray

Thread: todays boating
13/05/2019 20:07:13

Hi Ashley,

I liked your vintage Hobbies hydroplane in the latest issue, I had something similar in the 70's with a 1.5 c.c. PAW diesel engine & single channel radio 😁

Regards Ray

Thread: Plank on frame
11/05/2019 21:44:12

Hi John,

Sounds like a fabulous project ☺ I use Mantua Models mahogany which can be finished with water based varnish to look like teak, and coated with oil based yacht varnish looks totally different colour, could be useful for your launch.

Keep us posted with your progress

Regards Raywmsternfeb19.jpg

09/05/2019 21:55:53

Hi Roger,

I must admit I never thought about a sound system for a powered boat, no worries with a sailing barge just the crew whistling for a wind , or singing 😊

Keep up the good work

Regards Ray

09/05/2019 13:41:48

Hi Roger,

Yes ok my list if you like, always thought the Gauge 1 spirt fired Project boiler would suit a boat, they are quite compact and not that hard to build, I've built a couple for loco's in the past.

Regards Ray

09/05/2019 13:26:58

Hi Roger,

I really like the Stern Wheeler in the 3rd photo, there's a challenge as a steamer with the long stroke cylinders driving direct onto the wheel, another one for the list

Regards Ray

08/05/2019 21:43:16

Hi Roger,

Something is worth what somebody is willing to pay for it 😀

I enjoy tracing and cutting out the plywood on my bandsaw, the plywood from SLEC would cost £25 for the cheap cross grain sheets for the bulkhead & keel.

No response to my advert in the ME 😢

Regards Ray

Thread: Plank on frame
08/05/2019 21:12:51

Hi John,

I use Gorilla woodworking glue for most planking balsa & hardwoods.

Regards Ray

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Boats? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Boats!

Support Our Partners
Shrek
Pendle Boilers
Premier March
Premier Thursday
JSB MODELS
Sarik
Shopping Partners
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Pin us on Pinterest

Member Contributions
Distributors of Model Boats for our overseas readers
Highlights

Make sure you never miss out on the latest news, product reviews and competitions with our free RSS feed

Make your own contribution to the Website

We welcome well written contributions from Website members on almost any aspect of Model Boating with a particular emphasis on practical hints, tips, experience and builds.

In order to maintain a consistent standard and format, all suggestions should first be sent to me by Personal Message for approval in principle. Only a very limited amount of time is available for editing contributions into a suitable format for placing on the website so it is important that the material is well presented, lucid and free from obvious spelling errors. I think it goes without saying that contributions should be illustrated by appropriate photos. I shall be happy to give advice on this.

The Member Contribution area offers space for short informative mini articles which would not normally find a place in Model Boats magazine. It is an opportunity for Website Members to freely share their  expertise and experience but I am afraid that virtue is its own reward as there is no budget to offer more material recompense!

I look forward to receiving your suggestions.

Colin Bishop - Website Editor