By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Martin Lighten

Here is a list of all the postings Martin Lighten has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: 1/24th Fairmile D MTB hull
17/06/2021 15:04:10

Hi all,

After many years of waiting to see if I could buy a 1/24th scale Fairmile MTB with no success, one of our club members who needs a new project has offered to build one for me. Needless to say I am eternally grateful to him for volunteering. I'm now doing the research on the various kit vs scratch build options to try and help if I can.

So to the question: are there any suppliers that make or supply the MTB scalloped hull like MTB 736 in GRP? I see from older forums that Kingston Mouldings used to but alas as we all know they are no longer.

I've contacted another supplier for the fittings kit. Just waiting on an answer back.

Any help would be appreciated.

Regards

Martin

Thread: Maxwell Hemmens Caton - fittings thread sizes?
02/02/2021 07:41:13

Hi David,

Thanks for the research I’ll PM you now. I’ve been looking at tutorials online and reading articles on thread sizes, and I must admit there are more ‘standard’ threads than IT operating systems. laugh

All of them I’m sure have their uses, but what a minefield for the uninitiated when you enter that world. You probably spent the first year of your apprenticeship learning them all. I was quite happy dealing with ¼ x 40, ¼ x 32 ME, but even that was created from another ‘standard’.

The British Model Engineer Thread is based on the Whitworth thread with a pitch of 32 and 40 TPI. A commercial use of this standard does not exist.
The flank angle is 55°.

John Hemmens has kindly responded as well, and will hopefully follow up on his initial contact.

My thread gauge is ordered. But I suspect like a lot of tools, it’s how skilled you are using it that counts. A bit like Harry Potter’s wand.

Thanks again David.

Martin

31/01/2021 15:05:41

Thanks Richard.

I'm shopping for one now.

Martin

31/01/2021 12:43:35

Richard,

Thanks for your advice, always welcome. It seems eons since we last spoke at IMBS.smiley

I will contact John Hemmens and see if he can help.

Martin

31/01/2021 12:35:11

Hi David, Richard,

Many thanks for your responses. I have measured the outside diameter on the oiler, which is 5.9mm for the pipe fitting and 5.2mm for the engine thread on Caton 1. But I don't have a means of measuring the pitch. The Caton 2 oiler threads are the same for the pipe fitting 5.9mm and the engine thread is smaller at 3.5mm? I'll get the nearest inch equivalent.

I have a stack of standard ME fittings for the pipework, but the engines threads are smaller and possible a different pitch?

I've now seen from another post on Model Boat Mayhem that the thread for the pipe fitting may be A/F? See the two posts below:

------------------------------------------

Hi, Max Hemmens Caton engine threads, are just slightly smaller than todays std of 1/4 by 40 tpi, don't try and force a todays std union nut, or you will strip the threads,!!!

------------------------------------------

Hi, I have just checked my old books, and Max Hemmens Caton engine, union threads are A/F and not to day sstd ME

-----------------------------------------

So I don't know if that helps. I've tried contacting Roy who posted the two answers above but I'm not sure if I have the right email address.

If I can help more please let me know.

Martin

30/01/2021 12:25:47

Hi all,

Please could you help, or advise?

I'm trying to find out what the thread sizes are on the two Caton steam engines I have. I am in the process of installing one and realised these are not standard ME threads on the displacement lubricators; for both the engine connection and the pipe connection.

Caton 1 exhaust fitting removed.jpg

Also I want to pipe away from the exhaust ports with copper not rubber. So Caton 1 (above) has a threaded fitting which unscrews, but again not sure what the thread size is. Caton 2 (below) has an exhaust port but it is not threaded, so what was used was it a fitting that was just push fit?

Caton 2 exhaust port.jpg

I think there is probably some evolution between the two engines as the engineering is different. But I'm sure they share the same heritage.

Hopefully that is enough information to answer the questions, but if you need more please let me know. Thanks in advance.

Martin

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Boats? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Boats!

Support Our Partners
Premier March
Nylet
Sarik
Tony Green Steam
Shrek
Restorers Wanted
Pendle Boilers
Shopping Partners
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Pin us on Pinterest

Member Contributions
Distributors of Model Boats for our overseas readers
Highlights

Make sure you never miss out on the latest news, product reviews and competitions with our free RSS feed

Make your own contribution to the Website

We welcome well written contributions from Website members on almost any aspect of Model Boating with a particular emphasis on practical hints, tips, experience and builds.

In order to maintain a consistent standard and format, all suggestions should first be sent to me by Personal Message for approval in principle. Only a very limited amount of time is available for editing contributions into a suitable format for placing on the website so it is important that the material is well presented, lucid and free from obvious spelling errors. I think it goes without saying that contributions should be illustrated by appropriate photos. I shall be happy to give advice on this.

The Member Contribution area offers space for short informative mini articles which would not normally find a place in Model Boats magazine. It is an opportunity for Website Members to freely share their  expertise and experience but I am afraid that virtue is its own reward as there is no budget to offer more material recompense!

I look forward to receiving your suggestions.

Colin Bishop - Website Editor