By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Runar Madshus

Here is a list of all the postings Runar Madshus has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: R.C. Sutcliffe "Kestrel".
02/04/2014 21:08:26

I was at "Djuptjenn" (deep-pond) near Bjørkelangen, Norway.

Position (do a google search):

59.87606, 11.632891 (WGS84 decimal)

If you zoom out on the map, you will see that we have lots of small ponds and lakes like this around here.

Thanks a lot for the feedback on the boat!face 1

02/04/2014 20:28:14

I understand that there's a lot of you English lads that values these boat very high, so I hope I'm not getting crucified for this. Anyway, the boat was basically a wreck when I got it. A lot of rust and even a few holes here and there in the hull, which I tinned shut. The control system is homemade and is using a 433Mhz TX module and a micro controller to send serial data. The receiver is equipped similarly with a RX module and a servo. It is more or less a "bang-bang" control system with a self centering servo and reverse-stop-forward, not only to keep things simple, but also to keep in mind what kind of a control system these boat COULD have been equipped with at the time Sutcliffe Pressings made tin boats.

I'll be the first one to admit that the transmitter case isn't very stylish at the moment, but that is a relatively easy thing to change later on.

A few pictures:

img_0211.jpg

img_0210.jpg

img_0209.jpgimg_0208.jpg

img_0207.jpg

And a short video also:

Thread: How do I convert a servo to continuous rotation ?
01/04/2014 16:21:21

You're solution is probably the simplest and the best one in this case Malcolm. But on the other hand, a little eight legged uC isn't much more expensive than a 555 these days and as a model hobbyist you can do a lot of cool stuff with them.

It never hurts to learn something new either.face 1

01/04/2014 15:33:36

If you have messed with microcontrollers before, it is pretty easy to set up a system like that and at the same time avoid the narrow off band that Malcolm mentions.

I think I have a code snippet for that in my computer folders somewhere, actually. Tell me if you're interested and I might be able to hack something together and send it to you.

Thread: Vic Smeed's Model Boat Designs
30/03/2014 20:17:16

The plans for (MM 535) "Scudabout" is not listed as available. I don't know what Tony exactly means by that, but they are available from Canada on e-bay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MODEL-BOAT-PLANS-16-1-2-CRUISER-BEGINNER-PROJECT-RADIO-CONTROL-GAS-OR-ELECTRIC-/251484769342

In fact, I'm building it as my first model boat project. It's a little bit downscaled (and modified too) though.

img_0195.jpg

Edited By Runar Madshus on 30/03/2014 20:18:32

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Boats? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Boats!

Support Our Partners
SLEC
Nylet
Restorers Wanted
Premier March
Sarik
Pendle Boilers
Shopping Partners
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Pin us on Pinterest

Member Contributions
Distributors of Model Boats for our overseas readers
Highlights

Make sure you never miss out on the latest news, product reviews and competitions with our free RSS feed

Make your own contribution to the Website

We welcome well written contributions from Website members on almost any aspect of Model Boating with a particular emphasis on practical hints, tips, experience and builds.

In order to maintain a consistent standard and format, all suggestions should first be sent to me by Personal Message for approval in principle. Only a very limited amount of time is available for editing contributions into a suitable format for placing on the website so it is important that the material is well presented, lucid and free from obvious spelling errors. I think it goes without saying that contributions should be illustrated by appropriate photos. I shall be happy to give advice on this.

The Member Contribution area offers space for short informative mini articles which would not normally find a place in Model Boats magazine. It is an opportunity for Website Members to freely share their  expertise and experience but I am afraid that virtue is its own reward as there is no budget to offer more material recompense!

I look forward to receiving your suggestions.

Colin Bishop - Website Editor