By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Peter Sykes

Here is a list of all the postings Peter Sykes has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Bend in a control rod ????
11/02/2021 11:39:49

The Choc Bloc idea is clever. I'll bank that one.

Thanks

08/02/2021 13:50:36

Thanks Tim,

I figured that was probably the case but just wanted a second opinion on it.

Regards

Peter

Thread: Cutting Plasticard Advice
08/02/2021 13:19:42
Posted by Chris Fellows on 07/02/2021 17:45:35:

Thanks for the further replies and advice, much appreciated.

I've got everything needed, apart from a set of decent needle files, from what I've got for working with timber, so I'll have a bash now.

Ray, I don't know if they are chrome or aluminium but I'm going to try that Guild Lane Silver Chrome paint that the former editor used.

Chris

Hi Chris,

I've built scale models for years and the best "metallic" Chrome / Silver / Aluminium paint I ever found is the ALCLAD range. VAllejo are really good as well. But whatever you choose make sure you clean off the plasticard with some IPA and prime it first..

Regards

Peter

Edited By Peter Sykes on 08/02/2021 13:20:21

Edited By Peter Sykes on 08/02/2021 13:21:02

Thread: Bend in a control rod ????
08/02/2021 12:23:40

Hi All,

I'm trying to work out siting a servo for the rudder on my build. I'd like to have as a straight run from servo to rudder. However, it looks like the best I can do is a 15mm step into the 250mm long control rod....... so my question. Do I put the step nearest the servo arm, in the middle or nearest the rudder ??? or doesn't it matter much at all.

Regards

Peter

Thread: Balsa Model Kits
04/02/2021 12:16:11
Posted by Richard Simpson on 04/02/2021 11:38:54:

A lot of the Glynn Guest plans use balsa as a construction material, with a lot of them available as free plans with Model Boats Magazine.

hi Richard,

Hi Richard,

I've never built off a plan. Just too lazy and don't really have the facilities to cut out the bits.

Regards

Peter

04/02/2021 11:51:00
Posted by Ray Wood 2 on 04/02/2021 11:33:40:

Hi Peter,

Long gone are the Keilriv 7.jpg Kraft days, but J Perkins are distributing some new kits with ply keel, bulkheads & deck with balsa sheeting to the sides and bottom, they are around £60 for the wood kit, I built their review model Riviera Launch they are quite sweet

Regards Ray

Thanks Ray,

I'll have a look at that.

Thread: 2021 Builds during lockdowns
04/02/2021 11:40:18
Posted by Tim Cooper on 07/01/2021 17:04:25:

I am still working on my OSA 1, which I started at the start of lockdown 1. I did finish a Fairey Huntsman but not been able sail it yet.

Tim

img_20210107_161752.jpg

img_20210107_162354.jpg

I do like that huntsman. You've made a cracking job of it. Reall first class.

Regards

Peter

04/02/2021 11:38:09

Mine was.......

african queen 016.jpg

african queen 019.jpg

Thread: Balsa Model Kits
04/02/2021 10:32:57

Hi All,

Does anyone much make Balsa Model Kits anymore??? I made loads as a kid and a few years ago I aquired a kit that I made of a Hydroplane / Tunnel hull boat. I can't remember the name (or what happened to the finished article). But I'd love to be able to build another one.

Regards

Peter

Thread: Complete Novice
04/02/2021 10:17:41

Hi,

You'll find a local club on google. On here there are always people who are willing to offer help and advice. Just ask away.

Regards

Peter

Thread: Just for fun
03/02/2021 12:24:36

Irishman, Englishman & Scotsman walk in to a Pub.

Landlord looks over and says "Is this some kind of a Joke?"

03/02/2021 12:19:17
Posted by Paul T on 29/09/2020 17:11:12:
Young Paddy bought a donkey from a farmer for £100.
The farmer agreed to deliver the donkey the next day.
The next day he drove up and said, 'Sorry son, but I have some bad news. The donkey's died.'
Paddy replied, 'Well then just give me my money back.'
The farmer said, 'Can't do that. I've already spent it.'
Paddy said, 'OK, then, just bring me the dead donkey.'
The farmer asked, 'What are you going to do with him?'
Paddy said, 'I'm going to raffle him off.'
The farmer said, 'You can't raffle a dead donkey!'
Paddy said, 'Sure I can. Watch me. I just won't tell anybody he's dead.'
A month later, the farmer met up with Paddy and asked, 'What happened
with that dead donkey?'
Paddy said, 'I raffled him off. I sold 500 tickets at two pounds a piece
and made a profit of £898'
The farmer said, 'Didn't anyone complain?'
Paddy said, 'Just the guy who won. So I gave him his two pounds back.'

That made me laugh. Thank you

Thread: Adhesive
03/02/2021 12:15:00

The original Gorilla Glue.yes

Thread: Smoke unit
01/02/2021 17:27:03

Black Smoke would require a lot of power as well

Thread: Figurines
01/02/2021 16:55:08

I wish I could paint figures. That is a cracking Job.

Thread: Hi All, I'm new here
01/02/2021 16:53:14
Posted by ashley needham on 01/02/2021 16:34:14:

Yes you will need a surface piercing prop, but try an X propfirst!

Ashley

I'll show my ignorance here Ashley. What is an "X PROP" ????

Thread: Items for sale
01/02/2021 16:09:42
Posted by Peter Sykes on 01/02/2021 10:28:05:

Peter,

I'd prefer it if you were not to start selling items having only just joined the forum. We do of course welcome your participation in discussions and will be very happy to give you advice.

Thanks,

Colin

Thanks for the message Colin,

I actually joined 2017. But, I understand.

Regards

Peter

Edited By Colin Bishop on 01/02/2021 10:48:42

Thread: Hi All, I'm new here
01/02/2021 12:04:16

Pic 2boat pics 016.jpg

01/02/2021 12:02:41
Posted by ashley needham on 01/02/2021 11:06:56:

Peter. Is the prop going to sit on the waterline or be fully submerged? If it’s on the waterline ie level with the bottom lip of the stern, obviously(?) you will need a surface piercing prop, but if submerged, a normal X type two blade one.

Surface piercing ones can be larger than underwater ones as they are only half submerged.

X series props will drive almost anything, and are very cheap. A wattmeter is the thing to use when setting up, so you can see how much current is being drawn for whatever prop you have, and you can judge speed verses power consumption when juggling with sizes. AND you can keep the current draw within motor and esc specs. Buy a few (35, 40, 45) and try them out.

Probably you will have a dog-drive on the flexi, but X props can be converted by cutting off the end, filing out the threads and filing a slot for the dog. No doubt no one would recommend this, but it worked for me....

I like those club 500 boats. Straightforward, not too big, quite quick and robust. If or as and when I sell the Fantome I may buy one.

Ashley

Edited By ashley needham on 01/02/2021 11:09:18

I guess I'll need a Surface Piercing prop Ashley.

boat pics 013.jpg

01/02/2021 10:43:33
Posted by Richard Simpson on 01/02/2021 09:51:28:

I'd start with a Club 500, at least you can afford to loose it when it hits a solid object!

Seriously though using a Club 500 hull as a test bed for development ideas and modifications can be very useful while you build your main model, plus it can be on the water very quickly helping you learn racing techniques and be better prepared when the main model is ready to go.

Hi Richard,

This one is an Engineering exercise. Just to see if i can do it. I'm no planning to race it. Just to see if it'll work.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Boats? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Boats!

Support Our Partners
SLEC
Nylet
Restorers Wanted
Premier March
Sarik
Pendle Boilers
Shopping Partners
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Pin us on Pinterest

Member Contributions
Distributors of Model Boats for our overseas readers
Highlights

Make sure you never miss out on the latest news, product reviews and competitions with our free RSS feed

Make your own contribution to the Website

We welcome well written contributions from Website members on almost any aspect of Model Boating with a particular emphasis on practical hints, tips, experience and builds.

In order to maintain a consistent standard and format, all suggestions should first be sent to me by Personal Message for approval in principle. Only a very limited amount of time is available for editing contributions into a suitable format for placing on the website so it is important that the material is well presented, lucid and free from obvious spelling errors. I think it goes without saying that contributions should be illustrated by appropriate photos. I shall be happy to give advice on this.

The Member Contribution area offers space for short informative mini articles which would not normally find a place in Model Boats magazine. It is an opportunity for Website Members to freely share their  expertise and experience but I am afraid that virtue is its own reward as there is no budget to offer more material recompense!

I look forward to receiving your suggestions.

Colin Bishop - Website Editor