By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for BRYAN ASTON

Here is a list of all the postings BRYAN ASTON has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Action P44 Twinlatch switcher
24/08/2020 16:46:45

Greetings all

thank you all for your replies to my question re. switch from one battery to another while boat is in the middle of the lake.it is obvious that the technology is not available at the moment, I will have to continue to connect two batteries in parallel, if you don’t ask you never know what is new and available.

once again thank you

regards

Bryan

23/08/2020 13:28:31

Greetings all

another stupid question

Is there switch or relay than can
change the power supply from one battery to another whilst the boat is in the lake, should the boat start to to slow down?

regards

Bryan

Thread: Recovery
10/08/2020 15:11:31

Greetings

Tim ,Ashley,Malcolm

Thank you for your replies, I am 82 yrs old ,suffer from a severe back problem ,and two knees that have had much better days, to launch my boats have a fishing trolley with a cradle secured to the bottom of the trolley, the boat rests in the cradle and trolley and boat are both lowered into the pond/lake by the handles, the boat then gently floats off and away it goes, on recovery the boat is brought to the lakeside ,the trolley is slid under the boat and up it comes ,simples

I have used this method for years ,it works perfectly, however, the council heightened the concrete path around the lake last year it therefore follows that the water surface was lower in relation to the path, it was getting a bit of a stretch, when I went to the lake two weeks ago with the lack of rain, the trolley was not long enough to reach and because of dodgy knees I could not kneel down, luckily a fellow boater took pity on me and launched and recovered my boat.I have now purchased a longer trolley, Theoretically it should work.

The fishing trolley is not suitable to carry two boats and I cannot walk back to my car to fetch another spare boat, one walk to and return is my limit

Having reduced you all to tears I shall have to practice with the fishing rod, the trouble is I have never used a fishing rod in my life , I have practiced in the garden but I can cast it out but I cannot reel it back in.,life is full of problems.

10/08/2020 15:11:29

Greetings

Tim ,Ashley,Malcolm

Thank you for your replies, I am 82 yrs old ,suffer from a severe back problem ,and two knees that have had much better days, to launch my boats have a fishing trolley with a cradle secured to the bottom of the trolley, the boat rests in the cradle and trolley and boat are both lowered into the pond/lake by the handles, the boat then gently floats off and away it goes, on recovery the boat is brought to the lakeside ,the trolley is slid under the boat and up it comes ,simples

I have used this method for years ,it works perfectly, however, the council heightened the concrete path around the lake last year it therefore follows that the water surface was lower in relation to the path, it was getting a bit of a stretch, when I went to the lake two weeks ago with the lack of rain, the trolley was not long enough to reach and because of dodgy knees I could not kneel down, luckily a fellow boater took pity on me and launched and recovered my boat.I have now purchased a longer trolley, Theoretically it should work.

The fishing trolley is not suitable to carry two boats and I cannot walk back to my car to fetch another spare boat, one walk to and return is my limit

Having reduced you all to tears I shall have to practice with the fishing rod, the trouble is I have never used a fishing rod in my life , I have practiced in the garden but I can cast it out but I cannot reel it back in.,life is full of problems.

09/08/2020 16:04:24

Ashley & Tim

Thankyou for your suggestions I will try with the rod and line, I have trouble walking with one boat I could not manage two boats. When the club opens again I can always get a push , I have often supplied a push myself.

Strange times

regards

Bryan

09/08/2020 11:20:06

greetings all

another silly question
The club I belong to has shut down because of the virus and I am mostly on my own on the occasions I visit the lake/pond, My question is this, if the boat comes to a stop in the middle of the pond and refuses to move again and there is no wind has anyone used a fishing rod with a ball attached to the end of the line to pull it in.

regards Bryan

Thread: Huntsman 31
18/05/2020 16:43:46

Eddie

Please post your progress with your build, in the meantime I will use 1.5 mm ply,

Regards
Bryan

Thread: Paint
13/05/2020 16:56:13

Greetings all ,Colin I have never used 1.5mm plynfor keel or bulwarks, much too thin, but I have used it for everything else, I have on occasions used a staple gun to hold the ply in place until the glue goes off, disgraceful but it works.the bottom line is whatever floats your boat,

It is a personal choice, but the comments were interestingl

regards

12/05/2020 10:13:05

Greetings Dave

I posted a reply to you and Colin yesterday but it appears to have disappeared into the ether, however I thank you for your swift answer to my question, regarding My dislike of Light ply ,mainly it is so fragile and I cannot see its advantage of 1.5 mm ply and even when coating it in EZ-Cote resin it is difficult to get a good paint finish.

Colin

I agree with your comments regarding Light ply ,

Thank you both

Bryan

11/05/2020 10:32:52

Greetings all

I have almost completed building a Huntress kit, As I cannot get into Halfords to peruse the colour chart can DM (the Fairey expert) tell me the name of the light blue paint used on the cabin roof and the rear seats. As an aside I wish it to be known that I have developed an extreme dislike to Light Ply.

Regards

Bryan

Thread: Lipo batteries
15/01/2020 16:02:26

Dave

After retesting my lipo battery the voltage per cell is 3.979 volts. 73% fully charged, 7.95 total voltage.At the moment

If the aforementioned is correct this Lipo battery stuff is a piece of cake, so far it hasn’t exploded or burst into flames, I do keep it in a flame proof bag

The only question is how do I discharge it to a storage voltage apart from running the boat in the pond, I have also bought an alarm to show when the voltage is low, haven’t a clue how wire it up

regards

Bryan

14/01/2020 17:16:25

Dsve

Thanks for your reply, I will recheck it tomorrow, I may have plugged in the voltmeter incorrectly ,I will reread the instructions that came with it.

Regards

Bryan

14/01/2020 14:11:33

Greetings all

I have charged the lipo battery no problem, have installed it In the boat . , runs perfectly,cell meter shows 8.88 v, have run motor flat out for around 30 mins, cannot get to pond until weekend, how can I get the voltage down to storage value or is it alright until weekend, excuse my ignorance, but I’m getting there.

regards

Bryan

09/01/2020 17:09:12

Greetings all

could I have a translation of the above, it sounds great

Regards

Bryan

07/01/2020 17:12:26

Dave

Thanks for your reply, have ordered Lipo balance lead as described, I will get there in the end.

Bryan

07/01/2020 10:39:00

Greetings all

I went on utube to watch a video on how to use an imaxB6 charger and it showed the difference between a genuine charger and a fake and it appears that I have bought a fake, the obvious difference is the writing on the back and front of the case, however when I went on the website of a well known Chinese dealer they were offering the same charger as mine with the same writing which according to utube is fake, so who is correct?

I bought a Lipo low voltage alarm , but I didn’t know a Li-PO JST-XH balance lead was also required ,this is certainly a steep learning curve ,NIHM used to be so simple.

onward and upward

Bryan

31/12/2019 13:57:01

Greetings all

Thank you all for your advice ,I am following your advice and tips and I will be in touch in due course. I have sent for a voltage checker and alsrm
I will win in the end.

Thank you all

Bryan

29/12/2019 15:31:56

Dave

I have a imax b6 charger which is at the moment is chsrging a 7.2v NIHM bsttery ,I have tried to use this charger before without success , I must be doing something wrong.

I also have a B3 pro charger which I have never used, once I find an adapter for the plugI will try it out.

i have many other chargers for NIHM batteries which have never been a problem.

I only want to charge a Lipo battery without it catching fire.

watch this space ,I will win in the end.

Isnt building model boats supposed to be a peaceful hobby.

Bryan

29/12/2019 13:10:24

Ray

Whst is the make and model of your charger

Bryan

28/12/2019 19:17:48

I agree with Colin almost word for word, I am starting to regret ever starting to use Lipos . I have a fireproof charging bag and have bought a Lipo charger that also charges NIHM, but to date I cannot get it to charge anything ,I must be doing something wrong but I can’t think what. What chsrging amps would you programme to charge a 3700 ma battery.

regsrds

Bryan

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Boats? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Boats!

Support Our Partners
Shrek
Premier March
Restorers Wanted
Nylet
Sarik
Tony Green Steam
Pendle Boilers
Shopping Partners
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Pin us on Pinterest

Member Contributions
Distributors of Model Boats for our overseas readers
Highlights

Make sure you never miss out on the latest news, product reviews and competitions with our free RSS feed

Make your own contribution to the Website

We welcome well written contributions from Website members on almost any aspect of Model Boating with a particular emphasis on practical hints, tips, experience and builds.

In order to maintain a consistent standard and format, all suggestions should first be sent to me by Personal Message for approval in principle. Only a very limited amount of time is available for editing contributions into a suitable format for placing on the website so it is important that the material is well presented, lucid and free from obvious spelling errors. I think it goes without saying that contributions should be illustrated by appropriate photos. I shall be happy to give advice on this.

The Member Contribution area offers space for short informative mini articles which would not normally find a place in Model Boats magazine. It is an opportunity for Website Members to freely share their  expertise and experience but I am afraid that virtue is its own reward as there is no budget to offer more material recompense!

I look forward to receiving your suggestions.

Colin Bishop - Website Editor