By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Brian Dickinson 1

Here is a list of all the postings Brian Dickinson 1 has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Yachting Monthly Eventide
26/07/2020 13:21:13

My Book was Complete amateur boat building by the same author. I cant seem to place it, however i did send a lot of books to the charity shop in Porthmadog and it may have gone there?

Had a look up of your book and ordered a copy to have a look at.

Happy Sunday sailing.

Bri

26/07/2020 09:17:38

Hi Ray. I will have to look for the book. I bought the water based type resin.

Bri

26/07/2020 07:22:35

Hi Ray. Glad your all well down there below the Thames.

That’s a nice looking yacht. I have a book somewhere on building yachts of this kind. I must dig it out as it has line drawings in it that could be scaled. I have been doing a bit on the sparrow of late but it’s a fiddly job planking the hull.
I will probably end up with a bit of filler on it. I bought some of the resin and glass cloth that you recommended. Is the resin air cure?

I like the chine hulls as they are easier for me to make. I will keep an eye on the build. Be interesting to see how you make the keel removable.

Brian

Thread: Clinker built rowing boat
25/07/2020 18:20:44

Hi Brian.
I am curretly back on planking a yacht. I have to say it’s jolly hard to do. But then I like results in an hour or so 😜

I am glad that I will be painting the model. Good luck with the build I will be following with interest.

Brian

Thread: Todays Boating
19/07/2020 16:46:53

5 Dragons dodging the bigger boats today at Winscar. The wind was gusty and made the water choppy. All good fun though.

I tried my new yellow A+ rigged boat and initially I was quite happy up to the point where C rigged unit passed me maybe a little tuning required 🤔

Bri

12/07/2020 09:50:55

Some one is having a big clear out of all sorts of scale ships on eBay. A place called Birchington. There are some really nice models up for grabs.

Bri

Thread: BRUTUS MK 11
09/07/2020 20:02:03

That's a curvey model Bob. These modern ships are pretty hard to model. It looks the part. Is it about a meter long?

Bri

Thread: Boxkite IOM yacht
09/07/2020 19:50:27

That looks great. Hopefully i will get to sail this weekend. Maybe even encourage me to get on with my Sparrow?

Nice looking boat i bet your very happy with the result, happy sailing

Brian

Thread: Mintanic
05/07/2020 19:32:10

I agree Colin Too windy for sailing today crying

Brian

Thread: HMS PORCHESTER CASTLE
05/07/2020 18:37:51

Hi John its all looking fine to me. Are you steaming the planks or do they bend easy with being 1mm?

Brian

Edited By Brian Dickinson 1 on 05/07/2020 18:38:09

Thread: twin screw control
05/07/2020 13:37:30

I am sure someone will be able to help. I had a tx question and loads of info was given.
I think the mix control in the tx might be some help.

Brian

Thread: Todays Boating
05/07/2020 11:24:06

Batteries charged everything checked. Off to winscar for some sailing. I forgot to take notice of the winds. The waves were about 18”. The wind, well you could have had a stamp for a sail cloth.

no sailing today. Only fit for submarines and I did not want my yacht to become one. LOL

Brian

Thread: Trojan - Designed by Edgar Westbury
03/07/2020 08:52:28

Hi. Ray.
It is a 4” beast. The wheels are assembled with bolts. I just need to do the rivets. 1/4” so they will take a bit of doing.

I am a member of North Wales Model engineering club. I joined when I was recovering from Cancer. The track is at the end of the bay at Llandudno in west shore. The views are stunning when your riding around.

There is also an excellent boating pool there and if there is no playing trains I can sail 🤗

Cheers

Bri

03/07/2020 03:18:33

I have just noticed the drawing in your photo. 3/16 instead of 3/4 diameter of the cylinder end cap. Don’t you just love the old MAP plans and drawings. 🥴

03/07/2020 03:14:22

We have worked through the lockdown but only doing a half day. The other half has been taken up with all sorts of things. Bit of garden railway modelling. Detailing the Brit and trying to get my traction engine on to its wheels

bc012dea-49ea-46cb-8506-880f43f1c835.jpeg
The yacht building stalled out a bit. I think I see making boats as a winter thing as the wood is warmer to play with than metal in the winter.

I also chop and change a lot depending on mood. The club is in total lock down as well so no boating at all. Some of the members have moved to a reservoir near my home but every-time I plan to go something crops up. Winscar res. Thursdays are not good for me and now the rules in Wales are about to change I will be off to my cottage. We have not been able to go since March which has been very strange. Normally we are there 3 weekends in 4 Thursday to Sunday.
Bri

02/07/2020 20:56:14

Well get you Ray. The model looks nice. Have you a vessel in mind. What about a boiler?

Bri

Thread: HMS PORCHESTER CASTLE
28/06/2020 20:20:42

I am with Ashley on that one, i currently have two yachts in build, chine and plank and i have stalled with both.

I have tried all sorts of glue starting with balsa cement when i was about 10. On my plank on frame waiting for the aliphatic to dry was a pain, Ray suggested Balsa cement to speed things up (full circle).

I do chop and change a lot as to what i get bored with, but i will try to keep an eye on this one as those curves look a challenge. Vic Smeed made a Maga Dan a long time ago and that was all planked (i think?) i sais i would have a go at one one day but have never got there.

Bri

Thread: Spektrum radio
21/06/2020 18:36:16

OMG Ray. That’s a bit of a stressful shelf.

I hope you have them marked up to models. How do you keep up to the batteries?

Bri

21/06/2020 15:13:04

Dave. Thank you. That’s just what I want to do. I don’t see the point in having one transmitter per model.

Brian

21/06/2020 13:39:01

Tim. I miss read your post. You can have different rx selectable to models.

🤗🤗

Bri

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Boats? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Boats!

Support Our Partners
Tony Green Steam
Premier March
Nylet
Restorers Wanted
Shrek
Sarik
Pendle Boilers
Shopping Partners
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Pin us on Pinterest

Member Contributions
Distributors of Model Boats for our overseas readers
Highlights

Make sure you never miss out on the latest news, product reviews and competitions with our free RSS feed

Make your own contribution to the Website

We welcome well written contributions from Website members on almost any aspect of Model Boating with a particular emphasis on practical hints, tips, experience and builds.

In order to maintain a consistent standard and format, all suggestions should first be sent to me by Personal Message for approval in principle. Only a very limited amount of time is available for editing contributions into a suitable format for placing on the website so it is important that the material is well presented, lucid and free from obvious spelling errors. I think it goes without saying that contributions should be illustrated by appropriate photos. I shall be happy to give advice on this.

The Member Contribution area offers space for short informative mini articles which would not normally find a place in Model Boats magazine. It is an opportunity for Website Members to freely share their  expertise and experience but I am afraid that virtue is its own reward as there is no budget to offer more material recompense!

I look forward to receiving your suggestions.

Colin Bishop - Website Editor