By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Brian Dickinson 1

Here is a list of all the postings Brian Dickinson 1 has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Todays Boating
20/08/2020 20:47:55

Made it to Winscar today for 12 races. Weather was perfect with sun and wind🤗

5/6 of us racing so not too crowded on the start line👍

All racing Dragons with varied rigs so we all sailed at different paces at different times in the races with different winners at the end.

A great afternoon was had by all present.

one chap had a footy which I have never seen before, Nice little boat with a good amount of sail made it lively on the water

Brian

Thread: Yachting Monthly Eventide
19/08/2020 19:48:49

Hi Ray. That’s a good idea. Beats having all different ones. No steaming yet. The clubs a bit cautious and Wales has only been open to foreigners a few weeks. I have been to the cottage but not the club. I had windows and door in storage with lock down so took the opportunity to get them fitted. Any how that’s all done now so back to some modelling.
Swimbo going off with grandchildren next week so I may make some progress.

We had new PC’ s at work and the plotter has only just been re connected. I can have a go at enlarging the wild duck now.

cheers

Bri

19/08/2020 19:00:24

Hi Ray. Coming along nicely.

Are you going to use a bulb or sheet lead to get the weight in the keel?

Bri

Edited By Brian Dickinson 1 on 19/08/2020 19:00:45

18/08/2020 20:50:50

Whilst your all weeding up I am finding it hard to find spare time to go boating. Hopefully I will manage to get to Winscar on Thursday and do an hour or two.
A good friend has made me a set of ‘C’ sails for the Dragon. They look ridiculous on the boat but the other week we were sailing in blustery conditions and we all had ‘A’ set on except for him and on the run he thrashed us. The rest of us were playing submarines.

Glad to hear you got a result on the servo Paul.

Happy boating.

Brian.

Thread: Plans
17/08/2020 03:36:44

Long build👍👍👍

Thread: Opening up.
17/08/2020 03:34:14

Ouch. That’s a bit close to the bone!

B

Thread: Best Servos
17/08/2020 03:30:28

Hi Paul

I am using mg995 servos for the sails on my JIF 65 with an arm Screwed to it. The drag on it will be quite large with the sails In strong winds. It seems to cope well enough. I buy them cheap on eBay.

For the rudders I use mg90s again bought off eBay.

Both are cheap and cheerful

I set the transmitter up to 80% throw as someone advised that it would not burn them out. Not sure how that works but that’s how they are.

In 18 months of sailing they are still going ok.

Brian

15/08/2020 17:00:13

As long as a politicians lips are moving he or she is lying.

Danny Devitoe classic interview comment.

Bri

15/08/2020 13:35:31

Yes the frames are looking good. I can now see what the extra bit of wood is for 🥴.
That will make things easier.

Following with interest.

Bri

Thread: Vic Smeed's HMS Cossack MM500
13/08/2020 19:51:38

I have to agree with Ashley it looks pretty cool.

Not many masks here in Wales. Dam hot though and thunderstorms passing through

Bri

08/08/2020 21:40:28

Hi Ashley. Been on the beach most of the day and just catching Up with the posts.

thank you for leads in the props.

Bri

07/08/2020 18:02:59

Sorry for posting here.

Where is the best place to buy propellers one line?

Brian

06/08/2020 08:44:52

Profit over pride?

Bri

Thread: Edwardian Steam Launch
04/08/2020 18:58:49

Hi Bob,

That's a nice large hull to get everything in. I would be interested in seeing how the model progresses. I am a fan of steam (road and rail) and would like to combine a boat with steam. Its somewhere on my bucket list.

The SL Branksome that you mention was in MB in the 80's it was a fine model, all varnished and looked great. I am sure someone on here will have a picture of it. I was in my early years and there was no way i had the skills to make such a beauty - probably still have not all the skills required.

Good luck with the build and keep us all in on the build.

Brian

Edited By Brian Dickinson 1 on 04/08/2020 19:00:31

Thread: My Time Media. Model Boats Magazine.
31/07/2020 16:50:31

Ouch cheeky

31/07/2020 10:31:39

Got mine last one on the shelf in Porthmadog. I will have a nice time on the beach this afternoon reading it. smile d

Bri

Thread: Plank on frame - Sparrow
30/07/2020 08:55:24

Just to reassure Ray, we are still building and planning more boats. Covid has encouraged more building with me and having now not run some of my steam engines at the track for nearly 12 months i think a change is in hand.

I only managed to run my engine 3-4 times a year and looking at VFM i think its a bit on the low side. I have been sailing Yachts more than running the loco and i enjoy the simplicity of it, go sailing, go home charge batteries (if needed), drain any water out and leave to stand until next time. This is far simpler than the Loco. Its also lighter to manoeuvre.

As for building, the time i allow myself if far more productive on a boat build that engineering requires. I also have 6 grandchildren now and time is spent with them rather than in the workshop engineering. So maybe for me the future will see more boats.

I have been attaching more planks to the sparrow and soon that will be complete and ready for preparing for the glass cloth. I have to say that i have not found the planking easy but it is only the first time doing that method.

Brian

29/07/2020 19:07:45

Ah that’s a good way. Do you get the deck lines as well? Or is there a bit of modellers licence involved.

Bri

29/07/2020 17:03:58

My book arrived to day. Its an easy read as there are not too many pages.

Ray,

How are you scaling the drawings? Measurement taken from the book?

Brian

Thread: To cheer people up
26/07/2020 16:02:54

Very funny.

I was not aware he was a poet either old trumpy he has a book on Amazon. "the beautiful poetry of Donald trump"

Bri

Edited By Brian Dickinson 1 on 26/07/2020 16:04:36

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Boats? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Boats!

Support Our Partners
Tony Green Steam
Premier March
Nylet
Restorers Wanted
Shrek
Sarik
Pendle Boilers
Shopping Partners
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Pin us on Pinterest

Member Contributions
Distributors of Model Boats for our overseas readers
Highlights

Make sure you never miss out on the latest news, product reviews and competitions with our free RSS feed

Make your own contribution to the Website

We welcome well written contributions from Website members on almost any aspect of Model Boating with a particular emphasis on practical hints, tips, experience and builds.

In order to maintain a consistent standard and format, all suggestions should first be sent to me by Personal Message for approval in principle. Only a very limited amount of time is available for editing contributions into a suitable format for placing on the website so it is important that the material is well presented, lucid and free from obvious spelling errors. I think it goes without saying that contributions should be illustrated by appropriate photos. I shall be happy to give advice on this.

The Member Contribution area offers space for short informative mini articles which would not normally find a place in Model Boats magazine. It is an opportunity for Website Members to freely share their  expertise and experience but I am afraid that virtue is its own reward as there is no budget to offer more material recompense!

I look forward to receiving your suggestions.

Colin Bishop - Website Editor