By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Brian Dickinson 1

Here is a list of all the postings Brian Dickinson 1 has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Todays Boating
18/10/2020 13:46:08

Well done to Gerry for his persistence. Nicks boat recovered.

40cb51db-561a-4b04-82df-94203da80081.jpeg

11/10/2020 21:15:19

Oh Deer Ashley.

yep staying on the bottom.

The res leaks so next time it low ?????

Bri

11/10/2020 19:02:15

By the time I got to the res at 9.45 the guys had been trawling for half an hour with a boom fixed with 12 hooks. It made my grappling hook look a little useless.

They had to stop to set up for junior sailing and set the buoys out so it stopped. But promised to have another bash in the afternoon.

The owner turned up and announced he has bought another boat to arrive on Monday.

We leave it to reside on the bottom of the res.

On a brighter note we had a good sail up to lunch. A and A+ rigs. One B rig. The weather was great but mr weatherman said it would be 8 knots!! More like 12-14 with strong gusts. It made my A+ a challenge down wind and tacking - well that’s another story.

Bri

08/10/2020 22:28:55

The boat went down between two buoys that were close together. <40 foot so trawling for it should be easy. 🥴

I will make a light weight grapple hook tomorrow to try to get it with

Bri

08/10/2020 21:38:53

A bad day at the reservoir today. At the end of the first race we watched the winners boat go windward and nose dive. The boat never recovered and slipped under the water. We can only assume the main hatch came off.

£200 quids worth of Df65 laying in 60 foot of water.

We are going to try and get it on Sunday.

Bri

Thread: Leg ship
04/10/2020 07:38:05

Hi there was a program about it a while back. They pin point it when setting up.

There are 100 turbines in Liverpool bay. At night it looks like a city at sea especially with the gas platforms all lit up.

Shame I could not get nearer to take more pictures.

Bri

03/10/2020 17:50:20

This monster came into Holyhead -I think for shelter.

it’s not easy to get pictures as the harbour is restricted access.

It towers above the surrounding buildings

Legship.jpeg

25/09/2020 13:36:36

That’s great. Can I borrow a bit of your inspiration 👍👍👍🚤

Bri

Thread: Cruise Ships - Dawlish Devon
18/09/2020 22:16:31

I wonder how many ships are at anchor in the world due to COVID.

nice place to take a break Ray

Bri.

Thread: louis heloise
07/09/2020 20:56:36

I love these classics.

Big and chunky. I bet you need a hand to launch them.

Bri

Thread: Yachting Monthly Eventide
05/09/2020 21:00:00

I am with you on that one Ray. Sailing is a challenge. Three hour session gone in a flash.

Bri

05/09/2020 03:40:55

Hi Ray

Thats looking very good. A miniature of the real thing 👍.

Bri

29/08/2020 20:56:36

I called in at Pikes in Porthmadog. No mag there 🤔

bri

27/08/2020 21:28:48

Sounds like a good time had by all

The weather stayed Dry for our session. 16 races in total. One race missed due to battery low voltage. Trust me to be at the front when it happened.

Bri

Thread: Plank on frame - Sparrow
25/08/2020 19:56:44

Cheers Ray,

I think i might upset the balance if i make it shorter?

Brian

25/08/2020 19:18:10

Well you can always tell when the weather is rubbish and the days are getting shorter as we all start to look to our indoor pursuits and I am no exception to that.

For now i have put my locomotive and traction engine to one side. No one at the club is testing boilers and if we were no one is running steam.

So back to the Sparrow. I am by nature not a repetitive manufacturer and when i got half way up the sides of the boat with the planking i got bored and put the boat half way up to the roof on a shelf to gather dust. So now in the last few days i have taken it back in hand and pushed on with the planking. God you have to be a patient geezer to get it perfect, which is why my planking looks like it was shot at the boat from a few meters away. I am sure a bit of 120 grit will make it smooth, but to you fellows who make the joints 100% i take my hat off to you. I also have a Ray Wood secret weapon up my sleeve in the form of water based resin and glass cloth, plus some filler.

closing the keel.jpg

So by this time tomorrow i will have closed the keel and will be already for that 120g paper.

Now, at this junction anyone who has one of these will spot the mistake.

closing the stern.jpg

That's right, i have made the stern a bit shorter than it should be. The deck finishes where the planks end and the planks should go further back to allow a sloping section of the hull to be made.

Like this shown in this picture taken from the building manual:

stern photo lift.jpg

I might see what it looks like when i take it off the building board, modern boats are all square at the back end - please do not quote me i could be wrong, again!

At the worst i can shape a balsa wood block laugh- so now you can all say, measure twice cut once yes old man.

Any way progress and taking shape.

Brian

25/08/2020 17:12:21

It’s looking very good Ray. I can see how the keel will work now. Ingenious work.

Bri

23/08/2020 16:01:55

No weed problems for us at Winscar Ashley, just horizontal rain.

The weather was a bit wild and wet, I must buy some waterproof over trousers. At one stage the water was running off my coat and into my wellies.

We managed a couple of hours and for once i came FIRST. yes

The new C rig needs a bit of tuning but otherwise a great morning.

Bri

22/08/2020 21:38:09

Fitted a C rig to one of my Dragons today in preparation for tomorrow’s session at Winscar.

Looked into the Footy. Lots of free plans on line. Look out winter yet another boat to build.

Happy Boating

Bri

20/08/2020 21:43:53

Ray you Devil. You have really pushed the boat out on that window bottom.

😂🤗🤗👍

Bri

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Boats? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Boats!

Support Our Partners
Restorers Wanted
Tony Green Steam
Sarik
Premier March
Nylet
Shrek
Pendle Boilers
Shopping Partners
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Pin us on Pinterest

Member Contributions
Distributors of Model Boats for our overseas readers
Highlights

Make sure you never miss out on the latest news, product reviews and competitions with our free RSS feed

Make your own contribution to the Website

We welcome well written contributions from Website members on almost any aspect of Model Boating with a particular emphasis on practical hints, tips, experience and builds.

In order to maintain a consistent standard and format, all suggestions should first be sent to me by Personal Message for approval in principle. Only a very limited amount of time is available for editing contributions into a suitable format for placing on the website so it is important that the material is well presented, lucid and free from obvious spelling errors. I think it goes without saying that contributions should be illustrated by appropriate photos. I shall be happy to give advice on this.

The Member Contribution area offers space for short informative mini articles which would not normally find a place in Model Boats magazine. It is an opportunity for Website Members to freely share their  expertise and experience but I am afraid that virtue is its own reward as there is no budget to offer more material recompense!

I look forward to receiving your suggestions.

Colin Bishop - Website Editor