By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more
Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Dremel

Can I connect a small motor to a servo lead?

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Soup31/03/2013 09:26:35
19 forum posts

@ Ashley Nothing specific Ashley I was just musing to my self "mmm wonder if I can...".

ASIDE :-Oh and it is cheese not Tomato

When I first came online I was cheesesoup (as I didn't think it existed and would be easy to remember) Some site wanted a username that was nine characters or less couldn't really get on with cheezsoup so soup I became.

The lack of scale bobbing does put me off somewht. Whilst I have great appreciation for the time/effort/skill that goes into say a four foot long USS Eisenhour to my eyes it looks ridiculous shooting along at a, scale, 150 knots and the deck heaving by a, scale, fifty feet in one second.

@Telstar Tried removing the guts of a servo but it had all been glued into place so ended up cutting the case from the innards. Pretty much made a mess of the servo PCB doing that (not the actual cutting the removal) so this half formed idea has taken a bit of a backseat

Malcolm Frary31/03/2013 12:21:05
574 forum posts

The subject of scale speed having been raised - a scale boat, unless ridiculously over powered, is incapable of exceeding a proper scale speed. Scale speed is not full size speed divided by scale - you divide by the square root of the scale. The people who have been using test tanks have used this idea quite successfully for many years.

Bobbing is dealt with by proper weight distribution.

To use a servo as motor and ESC, it just needs the gearbox part separating off, the moulding covering the motor gear removing, and if required, the gear pulling off the motor shaft. Optionally, the mounting lugs can be sawn off.

ashley needham31/03/2013 17:33:11
4872 forum posts
310 photos

Gazpachio. (sorry) There is no doubt it can be done, loads of people have done so. A little while ago (and in wnat magazine I cant remember) someone built a Turbinia, with three shafts..and it was not a lot longer than your hand. Just decide what one you want to do and go for it. The smaller and lighter the gear has to be, the more you either pay, or be resouceful in order to succeed.

Bobbing in a model , especially that small and light will be unavoidable on anything but a very calm day. The TYPE of bobbing may well be moderated by the weight distribution, but on a plastic magic affair i think that will not be a lot of choice in the matter, as weight will likely be at a premium.

My Nelson battleship (44 inches long) was deliberately made an inch or so deeper that it should be so I could make it extra heavy and thus be more solid in the water, and it is. It is noticeably more steady than other ships on the pond, and I have not yet fitted bilge keels, which will steady things up even more.

. Scale speed...dont start this lot off !! Everyone has their own idea. Mine is.. cant have too much power installed, it is what the throttle control is for, and you need an excess of power when model boating to avoid...situations..ducks, swans, boats, unforseen logs, ice...etc etc

Ashley

Malcolm Frary31/03/2013 20:12:38
574 forum posts

True enough, but the quote was of a 4 foot USS Enterprise. It doesn't really matter which one, with proper weight distribution, its going to ride rather than bob.

ashley needham01/04/2013 11:24:43
4872 forum posts
310 photos

Malcolm, agree, the weight distribution will certainly affect the behaviour on the water.

Ashley

Tony Bell 201/04/2013 19:17:02
48 forum posts
3 photos

When you buy electric cable for your house you are told what current it will take 5A, 13A etc. If you use the wrong size, the cable can melt and catch fire.

When buying servo extensions cables, manufacturers/suppliers tell you nothing of practical use. Will a 22AWG cable take more current than a 26AWG. What does Heavy Duty mean. Hitec/JR/Futuba?

The original question asked "Can I connect a small motor to a servo lead? Work out the motor current, then choose the cable to suit.

I wonder if suppliers actually look at their profit/loss acounts when selling cables and factor in the actual stocking cost. Why stock 4 products, 1A and 3A with either Hitec or Futuba plug and sockets when you can stock one item a 3A universal cable. The consumer then has no problem connecting up with any make of product.

Having spent 20 years in selling and marketing and lately teaching, the R/C market is one of the best businesses to use as an example on how not to run a business. I wonder if they are breaking UK trading laws ( Fitness of purpose/trade discription). Certainly the lack of information and errors defys all the principles of "Customer Service"

This comes from a years research into R/C products. It all started out by looking for a drum servo which could pull in a very large sail with a load of 5kg and did not need springs, pulleys and cord loops.

My last piece of research is to find out the importance of the antenna orientation in the transmission distance between the Transmitter and Receiver.

Has any manufacture/supplier told you. "Don't point the transmitter antenna at the plane" That's all you will find.

What is the max current of your receiver? If you burn out your receiver due to over voltage, your supplier will have to replace or repair it free of charge and there is no time limit. There is no such thing as a one year guarantee. They are incompetent by not telling you what the max current is.

I'm afraid that is how bad the R/C market. If you read my "Before Buying" you will see what I mean. Do you know what Frame Rate means?

**LINK**

Tony

Edited By Tony Bell 2 on 01/04/2013 19:18:53

Andy Hustler24/04/2013 21:33:01
480 forum posts
10 photos

Ashley i tend to ember i the 70's there were a motorised set of snap fit models inc racing cars and boat inc a very impresive mtb/air rescue and a minesweper i built these but cannot rember the company . They were very basic and long before i knew anything about r/c , the motior was vry smal and powrd by a single battery but you had to set the rudder in one direction otherwise you would loose it !!!

ashley needham25/04/2013 08:03:26
4872 forum posts
310 photos

I remember having non r/c motorised boats as a lad and playing with them at the seaside.. gosh. the ones I used to have never seemed to perform very well.. they were either slow, unreliable or just simply packed up very quickly.

it is just not the same being grown up.

Ashley

Dave Milbourn25/04/2013 10:32:46
2996 forum posts
154 photos

Tony

At the risk of being controvertial or stirring up a hornet's nest, I think you may be too heavily into the technicalities of the subject to take a broad view of the trade - cynical though that view may be.

Firstly I think it's fair to say that all of the radio sets marketed today are made in the Far East. Almost without exception they are designed and manufactured ruthlessly down to a price for a very specific market i.e. ready-to-fly model aircraft and a few plastic speedboats. Granted those sets made in Japan are in all repects better than those made elsewhere but that's hardly the point. Apart from at this quality end of the market e.g. radios for "3-D" model helicopters and large-scale model aircraft - and the builders thereof - I firmly believe that the average modeller is quite ignorant of how his radio set works and wouldn't want to know even if he was invited to sit down and listen to a lecture.

He has forked out what amounts these days only to a few days' loose change and as long as his boat goes where he wants it to then the technical side is of no concern to him. It's likely he either bought it on-line or from a shop whose assistants have no idea of or interest in the items they sell. If he makes a wrong decision about installation etc then it will hardly be based on the lack of information which causes you such dismay. Cable thickness is quite probably not a factor he would consider anyway. He wouldn't dream that changing from Brand X to Brand Y might reduce the total movement of his servos because it simply wouldn't occur to him (I doubt if many would even notice). Frame rates might be relevant to those of us who have to deal with different makes of radio and match our manufactured units up to them, but they don't mean a great deal to Joe Soap.

He has a budget radio in a model which goes OK when he puts it into the water. No matter that the motor is connected to the battery with inadequate or unsafe wiring or that the battery hasn't been charged for the right time or at the right rate. He wouldn't know the difference between AWG and Amps - nor would he care. If something goes wrong there's a bloke at the club who understands these things, or another guy on an Internet forum who takes the time to explain what the problem might be - so what's the point? He "doesn't understand electronics" (or even what that statement actually means) so all is well as long as his model keeps afloat and acceptable advice is available from others.

You say that you wonder whether businesses are breaking the law by giving so little information about what they sell. My reply is also a question; why should they spend time and effort accumulating and publishing technical data which serves only to confuse and thereby turn away the average potential customer? As in most things, ignorance would still appear to be bliss - for the majority anyway.

HOWEVER a certain Mr Freshney and I have hatched a plot to bring simple model boats electrics to the masses - you heard it here first.

Dave M

ashley needham25/04/2013 11:40:22
4872 forum posts
310 photos

Dave. A very good point there, or several points i suppose.

I have no desire to know exactly how my r/c set works.

I fit servo`s and possibly some move a bit more than others, and if so i have not noticed, and nor has it made any difference to my models.

Joe.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Boats? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Boats!

Email News - Join our newsletter

Love Model Boats? Sign up to our emails for the latest news and special offers!

Support Our Partners
Shrek
LME Nov 2
Expo Tools July 14th
Premier March
Pendle Boilers
JSB MODELS
Sarik
Shopping Partners
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Pin us on Pinterest

Member Contributions
Distributors of Model Boats for our overseas readers
Highlights

Make sure you never miss out on the latest news, product reviews and competitions with our free RSS feed

Make your own contribution to the Website

We welcome well written contributions from Website members on almost any aspect of Model Boating with a particular emphasis on practical hints, tips, experience and builds.

In order to maintain a consistent standard and format, all suggestions should first be sent to me by Personal Message for approval in principle. Only a very limited amount of time is available for editing contributions into a suitable format for placing on the website so it is important that the material is well presented, lucid and free from obvious spelling errors. I think it goes without saying that contributions should be illustrated by appropriate photos. I shall be happy to give advice on this.

The Member Contribution area offers space for short informative mini articles which would not normally find a place in Model Boats magazine. It is an opportunity for Website Members to freely share their  expertise and experience but I am afraid that virtue is its own reward as there is no budget to offer more material recompense!

I look forward to receiving your suggestions.

Colin Bishop - Website Editor