By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Modern RN grey colour match?

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
david cuthbertson12/06/2012 01:30:53
16 forum posts
9 photos

Hello, Just wondering if anyone knows if there is Tamiya or Testors match for modern RN grey. Doesn't have to be exact, close will do. Model is large scale (1/48). I know about WM colours but, I prefer acrylic paint if possible.

Thanks for the help.

Dave

ashley needham16/06/2012 18:17:46
3257 forum posts
171 photos

Dave. i suspect everyone uses their own personal shade of grey for RN warships.

UNLESS someone has an ICI colour mix or something, then any similar shade of pale grey will do.

Bearing in mind as well, that light grey can appear to be almost white or dark grey depending on the light conditions, sea state, background, artificial light etc etc

I would look at a few photos and choose something close and call it a day. You mioght like to search on scale model forums, they are more likely to be bothered with an exact match.

Ashley

Colin Bishop, Website Editor16/06/2012 19:10:18
2229 forum posts
5290 photos
313 articles

What do you mean by WM colours? Is the White Ensign **LINK** who do a comprehensive range?

As Ashley says, the appearance of 'grey' is very subjective. Like him, I take a relaxed view of this but there are those who insist that 'their' particular shade is correct which is in reality impossible to verify as the apparent shade will vary according to the conditions.

Colin

david cuthbertson17/06/2012 05:04:58
16 forum posts
9 photos

Gents,

Thanks again for your help. I'll just pick a grey that's close and run with it.

PS: Colin, that was a typo. I did mean WEM.

Dave

Andy Hustler15/07/2012 13:15:45
372 forum posts
8 photos

personaly i would use a normalrmal grey primer but there are some good tamiya greys out there and Humbrol actualy put up 50 shades of grey on facebook.as Ashley very wisely said a personal prefrence v

ashley needham15/07/2012 18:34:42
3257 forum posts
171 photos

Ford Polar Grey was what I used on the carrier, T22 and Manchester, and I thought that was quite a good match for modern RN. Its a spray colour of course so not suitable for everything, touching up or painting small bits is a bit of a fag, however its the way to get a nice shiny smooth finish on a hull.

I like the standard light grey primer colour for WW1 or 2 boats or landing craft etc.

Ashley

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Support Our Partners
Slec Ltd
Airtek hobbies
MountFleet
Product Of The Month
MyHobbyStore
RRP £89.99
Now Only £84.99
Buy Now
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Pin us on Pinterest

Model Boats Offers
New! Digital Archive of Back Issues - Subscribers only.
Shows and Events
Model Boating Events 2014
Member Contributions
Distributors of Model Boats for our overseas readers