Forum sponsored by Dremel

Armidale Class Patrol Boat

1/50 scale model of HMAS Bundaberg

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
HvyCGN-911/07/2010 09:20:40
57 forum posts
150 photos
A 1/72 scale Armidale is only 70cm long very small and can only really be run in very calm water. They R beaut little models I have a couple of pic's of USS Long Beach and a 1/72 Armidale alongside.

Cheers Bruce

Edited By HvyCGN-9 on 11/07/2010 09:26:18

Peter Fitness12/07/2010 00:00:50
417 forum posts
188 photos
David, I have fitted two 545 type brushed motors, controlled by an ACTion P94 ESC/ mixer, which is an amazing piece of electronic wizardry by Dave Milbourn.

Nevins, Alan Pew in Australia does a 1/72 hull complete with drawings, as well as photos on a CD. He can be contacted at apsmods@bigpond.net.au

Alan did say that he thought 1/72 was a bit too small for this type of boat, and felt that 1/50 scale would be better.

Peter. 
nevins12/07/2010 11:47:46
29 forum posts
Thanks for the information guys, If 1/72 is small then it will have to be 1/50. I like my large scale models and this would be a right pearl to my collection.
Peter Fitness12/07/2010 23:05:45
417 forum posts
188 photos
The Armidale class has a relatively shallow draught, and in 1/72 there is not a lot of hull below the water line. 1/50 scale gives a greater mass, making it more stable.

Peter. 
nevins15/07/2010 12:09:08
29 forum posts
Thats interesting to know, thanks for sharing that .

Gareth 
Peter Fitness23/07/2010 00:23:07
417 forum posts
188 photos
The windows are now glazed and more aerials added to the bridge roof. I've also attached the name boards and crests. The name boards are BECC lettering on a New Guinea rosewood board, and the crests were downloaded from the RAN web site, then printed on to water slide decal paper on my printer.

Work on the 2 RIBs is in progress, and other small details will be added soon.

Peter 

David Meier23/07/2010 07:52:29
205 forum posts
81 photos
It is looking fantastic Peter. You must be very pleased with the way it has come out.
Don't forget to post a photo of it scything through a moderate swell when you have finished it.
Waiting with bated breath.

David.
Peter Fitness23/07/2010 08:16:39
417 forum posts
188 photos
Thanks, David. Yes, I am pleased as it's been my most ambitious project yet. It certainly looks like an Armidale, so that's a big plus 

The RIBs and davits are proving to be a challenge, but I'm getting there...slowly.

Peter. 
David Wooley23/07/2010 16:54:27
465 forum posts
460 photos
8 articles
Hi Peter  Well it looks like an Armidale so it must be an Armidale. Seriously your doing a cracking good job  and some of the shots I've seen of the real boat at full bore make it all the more impressive . 
Dave Wooley  
Peter Fitness24/07/2010 00:02:30
417 forum posts
188 photos
Thanks, Dave, I appreciate your very kind comments.

Thursday night's episode of "Sea Patrol" had some footage of one of the class in quite rough seas off the north Queensland coast, which was extremely impressive. The boat handled the conditions superbly. I hope mine does too 

Peter 

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Support Our Partners
Premier Ship Models
Airtek hobbies
MountFleet
Slec Ltd
Shopping Partners
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Pin us on Pinterest

Model Boats Offers
New! Digital Archive of Back Issues - Subscribers only.
Shows and Events
Model Boating Events 2014
Member Contributions
Distributors of Model Boats for our overseas readers
Highlights

Make sure you never miss out on the latest news, product reviews and competitions with our free RSS feed

Make your own contribution to the Website

We welcome well written contributions from Website members on almost any aspect of Model Boating with a particular emphasis on practical hints, tips, experience and builds.

In order to maintain a consistent standard and format, all suggestions should first be sent to me by Personal Message for approval in principle. Only a very limited amount of time is available for editing contributions into a suitable format for placing on the website so it is important that the material is well presented, lucid and free from obvious spelling errors. I think it goes without saying that contributions should be illustrated by appropriate photos. I shall be happy to give advice on this.

The Member Contribution area offers space for short informative mini articles which would not normally find a place in Model Boats magazine. It is an opportunity for Website Members to freely share their  expertise and experience but I am afraid that virtue is its own reward as there is no budget to offer more material recompense!

I look forward to receiving your suggestions.

Colin Bishop - Website Editor