By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Andy C

Here is a list of all the postings Andy C has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: todays boating
20/05/2018 19:21:13

Thanks Ashley, I will investigate the motor and props.

There was a man steering, but he got called away to man the pumps. Only to find they were not actually working. May have to employ the services of a couple more people. He needs a hat too, seems he left his behind in the boat shed.

Thread: What am I doing wrong now
20/05/2018 17:36:08

Okay so on the back of today’s boating, which was a great morning, I have tried some other things. Without the hoses connected it will fire both sides using forwards and backwards on the viper marine esc. However when I take it of the bucket of water to connect the hoses it stops working again. It will not squirt at all once you do this.

I still think it needs some water in it to work properly. So just means I will have to prime it pond side beforehand.

Unless anyone has any ideas.

Andy.

Thread: todays boating
20/05/2018 14:23:00

Was indeed a wonderful morning. The diver being chased b6bth3 shark was a cool sight on the pond caused quite a stir.

Tom had fun wi5h the fire boat until it blew a fuse. Gotta love the smell of blown fuse wafting on the breeze. We think the little speed 300 is the wrong motor for the job. So going to look at a 385 as recommended b6 Ashley. Pump still causing trouble but not a topic for this thread. Will post in the right place.

Thank you Ashley for letting Tom loose on your spare landin* craft. H3 had @ great morning.

Thread: New Build
21/02/2018 17:16:09

Thanks Paul

Stuck with the balsa in the end. Just need to make sure I seal it well. Glynn's method of sealing seams quite sound and he does it that way all the time so not going change things now. I know there a lots of ways to do it, and as I have never done it before I think I will stick with what is printed.

Should be a fun model to whizz around the lake. some funky Colour choices going on but should be doable with Car paint.

Andy

20/02/2018 18:40:28

So a little photo update. Jet drive installed. Did not see Glynn's little note about leaving out until later un the build but hey ho. It is in and looks good. A bit on the heavy side but will see how it goes.

jet drive.jpg

Shot of it in the drive bay.

jet drive install.jpg

Started the side skins. From the stern forwards as per instructions.

skin 1.jpg

More to follow.

Cheers

Andy

Edited By Andy C on 20/02/2018 18:41:33

20/02/2018 12:48:23

Hi Dave

No offence is ever taken, especially from more experienced builders, when I ask for help or opinions. This is only my third ever boat build so I am still learning. I will stick to the build instructions as they are written. As you say I can always add a bit of ballast once it is finished.

Cheers

Andy

19/02/2018 21:10:48

Hi all

Made a little bit of progress on the Vivace. No pics just yet, but will put some up later. I have a question though. The plan calls for the hull skins to be 3mm balsa but can I use ply instead for extra strength? According to Glynn the boat is very susceptible to being top heavy so will the use of ply bring the centre of gravity down and so make it less top heavy. Or will it as I suspect be to heavy an not suitable for the hull.

Andy

27/01/2018 14:41:45

Okay, so I have done some more testing in the sink. It appears as though the car washer pump I have, twin outlet, requires no air to be in the system. For example, if I run the pump with just the end unconnected to the nozzles they will not squirt water. If I put a kink in one of the hoses and fire it again, it squirts. So I am guessing that when it is in a car, there must be no air in the system, in fact it would probably still have some residual water in the pipes creating an air stop. So, how can this be achieved in the boat? Maybe some sort of one way valves installed in the pipework? Hmm, either that or will a single outlet be better and have a Y piece to split the water flow to 2 monitors. Would you still have the problem of air in the system. I have a big hole in the bottom of the boat now where the pump sits, so cannot easily install one of the graupner pumps, as it would require trying to fill in the hole around the inlet pipe.

Thoughts.

andy

21/01/2018 17:26:44

I did some testing this afternoon after stripping the electrics out again. It seem the pump does work and does pump, but it has to have some water already in it for it to work. now the problem is, when you take the boat out of the water all the water in the pump drains out. so next time around it will not work. I have the pump intake through a hole in the bottom of the hull and the pump horizontal. I think on cars it is fit vertical with water always sitting in the pump inlet. I now need to come up with a way of trapping water in the pump when the boat is removed from the water.

I wonder if fitting an elbow to the inlet hole will help. The elbow will face forwards and once the boat is driven it might fill the pump fro the water pressure. Hmm, some testing required me thinks. More soon.

Any other suggestions welcome.

Regards

Andy

21/01/2018 12:51:23

Well, that was a tale of two halves, hits and misses, starts and stops etc etc.

Once upon a cold and snowy Sunday morning at the lakeside... Oh hold on wrong website.

Anyway, it works......sort of. Every thing was back to front and wrong side round. Easily fixed lakeside by flipping the reverse switches on the transmitter. So now going forward when asked and left when prompted. Squirters not working still and then she just stops. Near the edge thank goodness. Waiting for wind to push it to the side so we can retrieve and investigate. Seems the propshaft is too tight. Easy I think to sort out. Cold numb fingers not best for handling little 1.5mm Allen keys but persistence is everything. Sorted and back in the water and off she goes again. Then she throws another wobbly and keeps cutting out.

So what is wrong. Well;

1. The servo leads do not have the little tab on them and following the instructions that came with the viper 15, thought I had them the right way round. Seems not, so will swap them and check again.

2. Prop now turns easily enough, but will whack some light grease down the tube to help ease things a little.

3. Cutting out problems. Absolutely no idea. Did not do it before and runs nicely enough out of the water. Could it be pulling to much power and cutting the ESC out. It is running p80 speed controller rated at 20 amps. So should be okay right. Only using a speed 400 motor. How do you test it?

4. Squirters not working. So I thought it might be a problem with the pump not getting any water as it runs well enough. You can hear it. You knoow when you put a glass directly in water it creates an air gap, thought this might be the problem as the inlet is facing directly downwards. Did an experiment in the sink with a glass and a sieve to see if the sieve breaks the meniscus. Yes it does. So added a little gauze over the inlet to see if that helps. If nothing else it will stop bits and pieces getting in at least. Maybe the pump is at fault. May buy a new one and try again. Also now have the viper 15 hooked up so it can pump both nozzles when engaging forward and reverse, but pump cuts out at full throttle forward. Again maybe pull in too much current for it to cope with?

Any thoughts?

Cheers Andy

21/01/2018 09:45:15

Playmobil figures look about right too and have plenty of firemen. Will head on down anyway as Tom wants to try it out again.

Andy

20/01/2018 23:03:16

So, Tom's boat is nearly finished. Details painted on the sides and water cannons no controlled by a separate speed controller to give independent squirting. Some detail to finish at the stern and people to add. Taking to Bushey park for a sail in the morning for further sea trials.

Nearly there.

Cheers

Andy

Thread: How many boat kits or unbuilt build projects do you have?
31/10/2017 23:07:02

Does finished, stripped down for painting and then not yet put back together count. Other than that only the Vivace is truly started and not finished

Oh and I have quite a lot of plans with build articles stashed away.  One idea I have is a war hammer inspired aircraft carrier with some wicked gun emplacements and war birds on deck.

Andy

Edited By Andy C on 31/10/2017 23:08:49

Thread: Website wobble
07/10/2017 22:05:28

Not working on safari from iPad either. Just a blank page

Andy

03/10/2017 22:28:34

Okay, so plan transferred to tracing and layout paper. All cut out ready to apply to the wood.

dcd2bbc2-e2f6-48a4-ab10-7d850d1e72b6.jpeg

Using balsa as per Glynn’s original design.

03/10/2017 22:26:22

Thanks Ashley

Only need to add a couple of ounces. Old obsolete sockets from a 1/2 socket set make great weights.

Andy

02/10/2017 20:37:03

So, izzy had a turn with Tom's fire boat. Bad idea. Seems the Goblin/hibiscus is now not fast enough. although tom's boat is an Ashley LCM converted to squirt water, it actually moves goes quite fast. It probably is not designed to plane, but it almost does. It only has a Speed 400 in it but she has a good turn of speed.

So, now I have to build a speed boat. Izzy had a look through all the plans and originally thought she liked the look of a Huntsman or Swordsman. I don't have a swordsman plan, although I do have a huntsman. Cool, I though, nice choice.

Until that is she saw the Vivace from Glynn. Guess which one I am now going to try and build.

NQD jet drive of all things. Fleabay to the rescue or at least it will in 2-3 weeks when it gets delivered.

So out with the plan and build log from the magazine and now reading through it to see how it all goes together.

Will keep you posted.

andy

02/10/2017 20:24:52

A little bit of tidying up, another coat of paint and some red and yellow stripes down the sides and it is finally finished.

I am going to build a little console in the rear housing to hold a steering wheel and another PlayMobile man, yes that’s who is sitting on the rear deck hose unit.

Andy

02/10/2017 20:14:00

So, finally made it to the lake around 12.00 ish. Had Tom’s new fire boat and Izzy’s goblin/hibiscus. Nice bit of wind for the sail boat so Izzy off having fun. Now for the maiden voyage of the LCM/fire boat. Receiver on, battery on and away she motors. So far so good. Heeling over a bit despite the added ballast on the opposite side to the motor. Need an extra washer or two.

Now for the water cannons

c58038c9-28ef-424e-b7b3-7f454206e954.jpeg

One really good the other, not so good.

Will investigate the connections.

Both boats side by side.

6e85564d-a634-4440-b174-ee34fc359689.jpeg

I have a viper marine 15 and this works like we discussed earlier so will wire in properly.

Andy

01/10/2017 09:54:00

Dha, 10 o’clock, a twelve year old out of bed in time to get there for then, no chance. Will be a bit later than that. Will take some photos as evidence.

Andy

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Boats? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Boats!

Email News - Join our newsletter

Love Model Boats? Sign up to our emails for the latest news and special offers!

Support Our Partners
Pendle Boilers
Premier March
Expo Tools July 14th
Shrek
Premier Thursday
JSB MODELS
Sarik
Shopping Partners
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Pin us on Pinterest

Member Contributions
Distributors of Model Boats for our overseas readers
Highlights

Make sure you never miss out on the latest news, product reviews and competitions with our free RSS feed

Make your own contribution to the Website

We welcome well written contributions from Website members on almost any aspect of Model Boating with a particular emphasis on practical hints, tips, experience and builds.

In order to maintain a consistent standard and format, all suggestions should first be sent to me by Personal Message for approval in principle. Only a very limited amount of time is available for editing contributions into a suitable format for placing on the website so it is important that the material is well presented, lucid and free from obvious spelling errors. I think it goes without saying that contributions should be illustrated by appropriate photos. I shall be happy to give advice on this.

The Member Contribution area offers space for short informative mini articles which would not normally find a place in Model Boats magazine. It is an opportunity for Website Members to freely share their  expertise and experience but I am afraid that virtue is its own reward as there is no budget to offer more material recompense!

I look forward to receiving your suggestions.

Colin Bishop - Website Editor