By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for neil howard-pritchard

Here is a list of all the postings neil howard-pritchard has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Ellesmere Port show 2018
20/02/2018 23:51:22

it's sad, for the club and sad for modellers all.............I have been going off and on for the last 20 years and always enjoyed the show, but you could see the decline in recent years as decline in exhibits and people became apparent...............and last year was a big nail in the coffin when the lease holder decided to close the café eatery at the same time of the show instead of the closed season for refurbishment, and the only outlet for refreshments was a burger van.............with not the greatest of over inflated priced half edible burgers and dry tasteless on tap from Aldi cheap range chips..........the lack of queues said it all, lol.

20/02/2018 23:41:55

I was talking to the ex chairman of the club mostly associated with putting on the show for many of its years, at New Brighton lake just after new year,

and he says the new management basically wanted shut of the show and made it difficult for the club, removing the storage facilities of their large docks, tankers and such, and other none helpful re organising and reduction of show areas, and generally just being unhelpful............and as such the club decided to pull the plug and to seek elsewhere for the future.

Edited By neil howard-pritchard on 20/02/2018 23:43:09

Thread: Help required for building Billings Bluenose II "600"
25/12/2017 11:48:04

I cut my teath with kits on the billing Bluenose and agree, the instructions were rubbish, so ere the timbers, so were the fittings, etc etc, lol.........I struggled on and eventually made it a free sailing model with a drop was ok but I learned a great deal about building models by building that model.

I also find, to their credit, they do do interesting and different low volume purchase boats that other kit companies wouldn't touch because of volume sold.

Thread: Bridge door Loch Nevis ferry
22/12/2017 21:02:49

IT'S AS PLAIN AS THE NOSE ON YOUR FACES GUYS...............NOT HAVING STUDIED THE PIC OT THE BOAT BEFORE..........asked my the aft quarter of the bridge wheelhouse you'll find a tall rectangular "window" on an angle.......that and the corresponding one on the starboard side are the two access doors to the wheelhouse......the strange looking blob on the front of the door is in fact an epirb holder fixed to the hand rails and stanchions.

22/12/2017 00:15:20

Try asking on either of these two sites david................ someone will have the definitive answer.... or​ that should keep you happy for a while.

Thread: best scale
03/12/2017 17:03:55

DAVE, knowing something of Calmac ferries, you have picked one hard model to build there, with a great amount of detailing both sub deck and on deck and car deck, especially at such a small scale.

there was some time ago a feature article printed in model boats or possibly marine modelling on Loch Nevis which would be worth you reading if you wish to continue, and also there is a facebook forum set up especially for builders of Calmac and other ferries....worth you joining. Good luck with your build though as they look beautiful on the water......from one Calmac lover to another.

Thread: Decluttering - Items for sale
17/11/2017 10:27:56

Have to say, what a beautiful model that Huntsman is..........There's a guy with one moored in Fleetwood docks marina........perhaps he would like a model of his boat.........I shall enquire for you..........stunning boats. hope she goes to a good home, my friend.

will you email me a couple of photos of it, and i'll drop a note off to him at the marina.

Edited By neil howard-pritchard on 17/11/2017 10:29:19

Thread: forum newbie
17/11/2017 10:20:20

HI Dave

it is the Dave Metcalf ABS moulding set that Dave produced and I believe was written some many years ago as a build project in Model Boats magazine over a few months. perhaps Colin might be able to tie down what months and year...........think possibly in the early /mid 1980's.........and if not available in back copies it will be found on ebay by the numerous traders. I read it some years ago and found the articles interesting

Thread: Duke of Northumberland
16/11/2017 23:07:00

I wasn't intending to Dave..........and will wait upon your know I appreciate it and listen to you.cheers.

16/11/2017 22:30:04

thanks for the confidence boost Ashley but you have more confidence in my engineering than I do...........I was a woodworker where we worked to the nearest 1/8 inch...........not thousands of a mm, lol.........think I'm going to stick with Dave's solenoid switches and his other components once I have the plumbing installed. the pump can be either, Ashley, and the inlet scoop will take tandem 15mm pipes into a Y copper fitting​, so plenty of water into the pump will be available.........but looking at the pump, I have an inkling that it would also fit better in the horizontal mode too..........hope to go over to Blackburn next week to have a look at one.........taking my boat for a dry fitting lol.

Edited By neil howard-pritchard on 16/11/2017 22:30:44

16/11/2017 20:29:27

I presume I could use one of those manifolds with all taps open and put a solenoid valve at the outlet of each branch..............then I would have the boat under total control..............well that's the theory lol.............still got to master the voiths on the ferry, lol.

16/11/2017 20:24:52

hey, Dave..............just had a look at those valves...............they look just the job for what I want........will have a chat with you about that set up.............and understand your diagram now that I've looked at the valves.....didn't know these things existed. cheers

16/11/2017 20:21:16

someone on the US forum also suggested solenoid valves as well..............but haven't a clue what they are................will have to google them.............and as usual mate...............your diagram has me totally baffled.                                                                                                                                                                                             the outlets differed on all three boats that were jet driven,                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                  Colin.....the Duke had them on the side, midships, for both for and aft propulsion with the forward propulsion ones under water. And the aft propulsion parallel to the water. the Queen was the same as the Duke but with the jet nozzles angled slightly downwards, and the City of Glasgow had the fore propulsion units  sited at the aft of the boat behind the bilge area where the hull becomes  more V in configuration and the aft propulsion nozzles were the same configuration as the Queen.                                                                                                                             and by fore and aft.....I mean the direction that they push the boat, not the position of the jet nozzles...............all very confusing, lol.

Edited By neil howard-pritchard on 16/11/2017 20:31:49

Edited By neil howard-pritchard on 16/11/2017 20:32:26

Edited By neil howard-pritchard on 16/11/2017 20:34:56

16/11/2017 17:00:43

I've just been looking at cut off valves for water pipes..............has anyone come across these two manifolds for hose pipes and if so how stiff are those taps.

the reason of asking is whether a servo would be able to shift the tap..............this would be a dream come true if they could.

saw them on Amazon.415+ea0zp+l._ac_sr150,150_.jpg

neil......................IF SO, I COULD MAKE DO WITH JUST ONE PUMP.

Edited By neil howard-pritchard on 16/11/2017 17:01:56

Thread: Decluttering - Items for sale
16/11/2017 16:34:11

thought you were trying to pay someone to take that lord nelson from you for a minute, the way you've cursed it ever since buying it, lol.

Thread: Instant Regret
16/11/2017 16:19:05

yep, I sold my beautiful little 1854 grade 1 listed coastguard cottage in Fleetwood when I got move closer to "her mum" in a dead end offshoot of poulton /blackpool...............and have hated living in a characterless street ever since..........30 years and counting.......biggest regret of my life.

Thread: Duke of Northumberland
16/11/2017 16:10:20

It is that Dave, and yes.........I think it was similar in design Paul, but as the whole system was self priming with just open scoops into the keel of the boat. at keelson level. the impellors were situated inside the hull and drawing the water in through those keel scoops. simple but effective.

16/11/2017 13:58:57

Posted by Dave Milbourn on 16/11/2017 13:41:12:

The pumps, Ashley will operate both forward and reverse motion, one pump for each movement, but there again, contemporary plans of the Duke say that one side in each motion can be cut off and as such the boat could be spun on her axis, theoretically........

If the pumps really do work in both directions {i.e. by spinning the motors in either forward or reverse} then by fitting one pump to each side of the model and having it vent both forwards and backwards you should be able to use a simple rudder/motor mixer on the ESCs for the pump motors. This should gave proportional steering while going in either direction.

Dave M

​hi dave, just read my post to Ashley...............I think I gave the wrong impression.......the pumps won't go for or reverse..........each pump feeds one set of jets/nozzles, set of nozzles facing backwards to give thrust to move the boat forwards, and the other set facing foreward to give thrust to send the boat backwards.....sorry for the confusion.       The impellor in the pump is scooped in one direction, self priming and literally sucks the water in from under the hull and forces it out through the top brass union to the jets, and as I believe from the designer is just a suck and blow pump, like an old "lift and force" pump that I learned about in basic junior school such it is none reversible..........but would have been blowing it back out the hull bottom had it been.

Edited By neil howard-pritchard on 16/11/2017 14:03:06

16/11/2017 13:49:37

william and laura (15) (copy).jpgthis boat, the William and Laura was the first motor lifeboat in Ireland, stationed at Donaghadee, just after the turn of the 20th century.william and laura (1) (copy).jpgand was an afloat boat, with anti fouling in green lead, before red lead became more normal.

16/11/2017 13:44:25

NO are looking at the model with far too much depth in your thoughts.

as I said, these boats weighed 25 - 40 tons loaded and needed to be kept in steam, all weathers...........but this model in the museum looks beautiful in her white gloss under boot topping paint. But she would have had green lead antifouling on her just as this contemporary afloat boat was painted. she was an afloat boat [ top one of the trio ] Something as simple as that shows that accuracy is forsaken sometimes for "beauty" in a museum piece.001 (copy).jpg

Edited By neil howard-pritchard on 16/11/2017 13:45:02

Edited By neil howard-pritchard on 16/11/2017 13:52:15

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Boats? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Boats!

Email News - Join our newsletter

Love Model Boats? Sign up to our emails for the latest news and special offers!

Support Our Partners
Premier Thursday
Pendle Boilers
Premier March
Expo Tools July 14th
LME Nov 2
Shopping Partners
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Pin us on Pinterest

Member Contributions
Distributors of Model Boats for our overseas readers

Make sure you never miss out on the latest news, product reviews and competitions with our free RSS feed

Make your own contribution to the Website

We welcome well written contributions from Website members on almost any aspect of Model Boating with a particular emphasis on practical hints, tips, experience and builds.

In order to maintain a consistent standard and format, all suggestions should first be sent to me by Personal Message for approval in principle. Only a very limited amount of time is available for editing contributions into a suitable format for placing on the website so it is important that the material is well presented, lucid and free from obvious spelling errors. I think it goes without saying that contributions should be illustrated by appropriate photos. I shall be happy to give advice on this.

The Member Contribution area offers space for short informative mini articles which would not normally find a place in Model Boats magazine. It is an opportunity for Website Members to freely share their  expertise and experience but I am afraid that virtue is its own reward as there is no budget to offer more material recompense!

I look forward to receiving your suggestions.

Colin Bishop - Website Editor